The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 687

longbowbbs

Reviewer at Hi-Fi+
Since the JH16's First Impressions thread is now 3 years old it makes some sense to convert it into an Appreciation Thread. I'll start off with some pics...

8 Drivers per side, standard cable plugs for lots of choices for cables and terrific sound. I certainly appreciate mine!

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 687
Nice. Will you use custom cable on the jh16?

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 687
my old jh16 which has been sold now because im planning to buy the new freqphase jh16

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 687
Nice. Will you use custom cable on the jh16?
I ordered the iDevice cable from JH Audio. This way I can use them with my iPhone for calls as well as music. I am thinking about a Toxic Cables Silver Widow for them as we'll.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 687
Nice Classic clear! Love the Whiplash too.....

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 687
Pardon my ignorance, I ordered the JH16's today because the JH16/JH-3A combo isn't available before 6 weeks and I already paid a rush fee to get my customs within 5 working days.

I however noticed from the pictures that the 16's coming with the JH-3A have 2 inputs per side. Does it mean that I can't order the JH-3A later on ?

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #10 of 687
Pardon my ignorance, I ordered the JH16's today because the JH16/JH-3A combo isn't available before 6 weeks and I already paid a rush fee to get my customs within 5 working days.

I however noticed from the pictures that the 16's coming with the JH-3A have 2 inputs per side. Does it mean that I can't order the JH-3A later on ?

You are correct... You can't convert it to JH-3A... If u have to get JH-3A, I would suggest u contact JHA to hold your order and top up the difference...

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 687
Quote:
You are correct... You can't convert it to JH-3A... If u have to get JH-3A, I would suggest u contact JHA to hold your order and top up the difference...

Hello InfiniteGene, 

Thanks for answering, that's one of the strangest thing I've witnessed in the business world. An AMP/DSP that is only compatible with one version of one of their IEMs models. Ultimate way to destroy your sales figures.

Unfortunately I can't do anything because I will have to wait almost 2 months ( out of stock and many people are inline as JHA claims ). I will get myself a DAC/AMP but still not sure if I need it since my iMac 27" has somehow a decent clean distortionless sound output ( I can't increase the volume above 60% with the Shure SE535, it gets way too loud to bear )  

I don't wanna hijack this thread but it'd be nice if you or anyone could recommend a good DAC for the iMac; I've spent some time reading and looks like the M1 DAC and MDac are the best around. M1 DAC doesn't have a headphone output and the MDAc is not available in my country.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 687
Quote:
Quote:

Hello InfiniteGene, 

Thanks for answering, that's one of the strangest thing I've witnessed in the business world. An AMP/DSP that is only compatible with one version of one of their IEMs models. Ultimate way to destroy your sales figures.

Unfortunately I can't do anything because I will have to wait almost 2 months ( out of stock and many people are inline as JHA claims ). I will get myself a DAC/AMP but still not sure if I need it since my iMac 27" has somehow a decent clean distortionless sound output ( I can't increase the volume above 60% with the Shure SE535, it gets way too loud to bear )  

I don't wanna hijack this thread but it'd be nice if you or anyone could recommend a good DAC for the iMac; I've spent some time reading and looks like the M1 DAC and MDac are the best around. M1 DAC doesn't have a headphone output and the MDAc is not available in my country.

Since you are going to use the DAC with the JH16's that is not a hijack. I am using the Fostex HP-P1 with my JH16's. It is a portable DAC/Amp. I use it with my iPod Classic and it is a wonderful pairing.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 687
After spending 2 days reading reviews on this forum, I went for the Yulong D100 MK II for $422 including shipping, awaiting for delivery. HP-P1 is praised a lot but unfortunately it can't be connected to the desktop.

I have a Digital Audio output in my iMac and a DAC / AMP with optical input is a great plus. I rarely use the IEMs when I'm busy ( either at office or home ) so portability is not an issue.

Dac Magic Plus had very mixed reviews so did  Maverick Audio Dac.

I hope it was the right decision anyway, I still have to figure it out myself before throwing a $2K on a top tier Dac/Amp. One thing for sure.... I'm not getting married anytime soon 
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #14 of 687
Good luck with the D100! It does get good reviews. I have not heard it but perhaps I'll get the chance at a meet sometime. Let us know your impressions when it arrives.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 687
Hello InfiniteGene, 

not completely true. as for myself, I find myself still lusting for jh16s even I own the 3a set.

nice thread btw keep it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back