THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Oct 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #47 of 687
Quote:
I just wonder how is the battery time of your Intruders? Mine only has 8 hours, which seems to be weird for me as my Protector can do a lot better.

I haven't timed mine. It needs to charge a few times to get up to the full time it will run. The batteries are new so need to be conditioned.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #48 of 687
I am going back and forth weather i want to get a intruder or a hm901. How does it sound compared to a hm801 if anyone knows?Why doesn't Ray release specs(chips oamps ect) on the intruder or is it irrelevant to him because if it sounds good than what does it matter.Does anyone know if this has any synergy with 1964 ears.

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #49 of 687
Does having a balanced output improve the sound? New to balanced connection and its benefits. Always been listening SE.

Been thinking about getting a cable from BTG-audio for my Senn HD 650's or UM miracle.

I'm not sure if my CIEMs will benefit from it though...

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Andy

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #50 of 687
Quote:
Does having a balanced output improve the sound? New to balanced connection and its benefits. Always been listening SE.

Been thinking about getting a cable from BTG-audio for my Senn HD 650's or UM miracle.

I'm not sure if my CIEMs will benefit from it though...

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Andy

The idea with balanced output is that you are controlling the driver in both directions. This can give you better sound, depending on the setup. There are some who like it and some who don't see a benefit. I hear a difference and like the sound of often tighter imaging and very well controlled bass and very good sound stage. It also depends upon the headphone or IEM's being used but I have have a set of portpros that I balanced and I enjoy them this way. The HD650 without a doubt, to me, only come to life when balanced. Also you are getting more power out of a balanced system, if they are using the same components as in the single ended system as you are now getting that power for both the negative and positive lead.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #51 of 687
Got mine just now, nice!

Works with the Galaxy Note 2, will test with Galaxy S3 later (but expect it will work since it works with the Note 2).

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #52 of 687
Glad to hear that you got the unit NZtechfreak! And, it is really cool that Intruder works with Android OS. I tried iPad and CCK combo but it didnt really work out.

jamato8, I just understand the toggles in the back of intruder to have sound out, I will probably have to call Ray to apologize for my stupidity! So far, I listen several hours and it has been really great. Just like you mention, I probably need more time to burn it, and just cannot wait how the sound will get better!

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #53 of 687
Quote:
The idea with balanced output is that you are controlling the driver in both directions. This can give you better sound, depending on the setup. There are some who like it and some who don't see a benefit. I hear a difference and like the sound of often tighter imaging and very well controlled bass and very good sound stage. It also depends upon the headphone or IEM's being used but I have have a set of portpros that I balanced and I enjoy them this way. The HD650 without a doubt, to me, only come to life when balanced. Also you are getting more power out of a balanced system, if they are using the same components as in the single ended system as you are now getting that power for both the negative and positive lead.

This really interests me as well, I have been looking at it for a long time but have never had a chance to listen to a balanced set up before. I intend to go traveling on a road trip of doom soon and want a portable amp to drive my T1s. I have an Arrow but it doesn't quite cut the mustard. I was looking at the Meier Quickstep, then saw this thing.

If I go down the Intruder route, my thoughts were to try it balanced and make (DIY) a balanced 4 pin to 1/4 inch jack for my headphones. I am guessing that for the adapter you would run the positive signals from the 4 pin to left and right channels respectively, and then connect the two negative signals to the ground?

Might have a rummage around the DIY forum and see if I can find anything.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #55 of 687
Quote:
If I go down the Intruder route, my thoughts were to try it balanced and make (DIY) a balanced 4 pin to 1/4 inch jack for my headphones. I am guessing that for the adapter you would run the positive signals from the 4 pin to left and right channels respectively, and then connect the two negative signals to the ground?

There would be no point it in doing that. The thing about this balanced connection is that the grounds are kept separate. Building the adapter that you describe would get you no difference over just using the 1/8" jack on the amp (where the grounds are common).

What you need to do is wire your headphones for a balanced connection. If all 4 wires for your headphone meet at the existing plug, then it's easy to just change the plug to fit the Intruder. If the grounds on your headphone are connected at the split and there are only 3 wires at your plug, then you'd need to re-cable them with a 4 wire cord.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #56 of 687
And to add to the great comment above if Timmyw you did as you suggest you would in all likelyhood damage your amp. I remember asking Ray about this last year when I got my SR71-B and he said you could do major damage to the amp.

I must admit that I have not found the balanced out into balanced headphones to be as great a difference over many hours as I did at first when the unit was new and in truth at first the difference was quite small and headphone dependent. I now listen pretty much exclusively out of my single ended output into my Piano Forte's and because of the sense of occasion, instrument separation and scale these phones give they sound in those terms at least the same if not better than my LCD's running balanced. Remember as well that Ray does some magic with the signal that gives the single ended output a pseudo balanced characteristic if I remember correctly on the Blackbird and I am guessing he would not change that for the intruder.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #58 of 687
Quote:
Is it possible to overcharge the lith-ion battery with the charger? I fell asleep charging my unit after i plugged it in.

Most chargers would have the auto power-off function to prevent overcharging.   I did a quick search to be sure.

The 3P10-L1016 is a smart battery charger designed to charge 14.8V Li-Ion/Polymer battery.   It uses the delta-V technology to monitor and control the charging process and will power off when battery voltage reaches 16.5V.  

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #60 of 687
Quote:

There would be no point it in doing that. The thing about this balanced connection is that the grounds are kept separate. Building the adapter that you describe would get you no difference over just using the 1/8" jack on the amp (where the grounds are common).

What you need to do is wire your headphones for a balanced connection. If all 4 wires for your headphone meet at the existing plug, then it's easy to just change the plug to fit the Intruder. If the grounds on your headphone are connected at the split and there are only 3 wires at your plug, then you'd need to re-cable them with a 4 wire cord.

Thank you this is the information I needed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back