THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Oct 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #61 of 687
Continuing to listen to the Intruder. One thing of note is that on good recordings I hear very good spatial retrieval and detail. The bass is clean, deep and well articulated. The power output is amazing when comparing to amps of just a few years ago and to most all current portables and even many home amps.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #62 of 687
Got mine just now, nice!

Works with the Galaxy Note 2, will test with Galaxy S3 later (but expect it will work since it works with the Note 2).

Can you share the particular cable(s) you're using to connect the Intruder to your phone? I've seen some of your discussion that not all cables have all the pins required or something... I'd love to know specifically what works.

I'm rocking a GS3 with CM10/Jelly Bean and am very much looking forward to a fully balanced, portable brick running Power Amp.

And btw much thanks to you, Mr. jamato8. I always enjoy reading what you have to say about the gears :)

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #63 of 687
Quote:
Can you share the particular cable(s) you're using to connect the Intruder to your phone? I've seen some of your discussion that not all cables have all the pins required or something... I'd love to know specifically what works.
I'm rocking a GS3 with CM10/Jelly Bean and am very much looking forward to a fully balanced, portable brick running Power Amp.
And btw much thanks to you, Mr. jamato8. I always enjoy reading what you have to say about the gears
smily_headphones1.gif

You just need a USB OTG cable (and a mini USB B cable to go from the Intruder to the USB OTG cable).

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #64 of 687
Thank you muchly for the reply, NZtechfreak. I actually have a micro-USB to type A (female) dongle cable into which I put a standard mini USB cable to connect my S3 to my Ultra Micro DAC. Since the DAC is fully powered via the wall, I expected it to work. It doesn't, however.

This could be due to the fact that I'm running essentially AOSP, and it doesn't have the Samsung tweaks to make USB DAC output work. That would make me a sad panda since I vastly prefer CM10 over Samsung's "Touchwiz" thing.

The dongle I got via ebay was called "Mini-USB OTG On The Go Host Lead Cable Cable Convertor" (... except it's definitely micro--not mini--since it fits my S3). It was ultra cheap from Hong Kong... Maybe I should try another one before I decide the cable is fine.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm sure I'll figure this out eventually :)

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #65 of 687
Quote:
Thank you muchly for the reply, NZtechfreak. I actually have a micro-USB to type A (female) dongle cable into which I put a standard mini USB cable to connect my S3 to my Ultra Micro DAC. Since the DAC is fully powered via the wall, I expected it to work. It doesn't, however.
This could be due to the fact that I'm running essentially AOSP, and it doesn't have the Samsung tweaks to make USB DAC output work. That would make me a sad panda since I vastly prefer CM10 over Samsung's "Touchwiz" thing.
The dongle I got via ebay was called "Mini-USB OTG On The Go Host Lead Cable Cable Convertor" (... except it's definitely micro--not mini--since it fits my S3). It was ultra cheap from Hong Kong... Maybe I should try another one before I decide the cable is fine.
Anyway, thanks again. I'm sure I'll figure this out eventually
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the AOSP ROM is what is stopping it from working. You need to be on either a Samsung firmware, or one of the many custom ROMs built on it that retain the USB audio drivers that Samsung included. Lots of those custom ROMs aren't a great deal like TouchWiz, I'd expect you could find one that you're happy with (I think I even recall hybrid TouchWiz/AOSP ROMs in the S3 development forums at XDA).

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #67 of 687
Keep the Intruder running. It really opens up, gets very neutral and extremely transparent. I can hear hall reflection, when there, so easily, I am amazed. The amp has become very fluid with seemingly no end to the dynamics. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #68 of 687
This New amp seems a SUPER good product, but I am however VERY concern by it's 16/48 kHz DAC limitation when I will use it with my MacBok Air .

So, the real Question for me before I buy it is : when listening High-Res track, is there a significant audible advantage using a 24/192 capable DAC like the SOLO -dB to feed it instead of it's 16/48 internal DAC ...

This 16/48 may really be a problem because adding à SOLO -dB Will double the cost and bulk of the solution to carry With my Mac Book air

Also i am VERY interested to know if, Combined With the SOLO -dB, the Intruder will sound better than the ALO Rx MK3 or SR 71b 

and, last question : Other question: does it's DAC works OK With an IPad+CCK ?

Thanks a lot for your answers

bertrand

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #69 of 687
I'm planning to get the -dB to pair with my intruder as it both input and output in balanced mode.
The DAC restriction does make the purchase more difficult but the amp section is very impressive as it drove the HE-500 and HD650 with ease and power.
Bass is extremely good.
As for the Camera kit for iPad I haven't tried myself.

Andy 

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #71 of 687
Quote:
I just tried with my iPad2 and CCK via simple mini USB cable, and it doesnt work. 

This is really strange and anowing !  anybody can advise on this and provide a trick ? 

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #72 of 687
Quote:
I just tried with my iPad2 and CCK via simple mini USB cable, and it doesnt work. 

Bummer! I was hoping this would work with the ipad mini. Looks like the hifiM8 is the better choice for this after all.

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #73 of 687
Jamato8, thanks again for getting my wallet in trouble! I'm thinking of adding an amp to my DX100, how would you compare the Intruder with the SR71B? I won't be using the DAC in the Intruder anyway, so I'm just looking for the best amp to use with my (C)IEMs 
smile.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #74 of 687
Quote:
Jamato8, thanks again for getting my wallet in trouble! I'm thinking of adding an amp to my DX100, how would you compare the Intruder with the SR71B? I won't be using the DAC in the Intruder anyway, so I'm just looking for the best amp to use with my (C)IEMs 
smile.gif

Well, the intruder to me, sounds a little more powerful. By that, there is an ease and openness to the music that for me, allows me to forget about what is powering the music or wonder if some dynamics are missing or bass. Also, I think the amp is very neutral. Not warm or cold just very clean with great imaging. A very fun and enjoyable amp to use and still with an excellent form factor. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #75 of 687
Quote:
This is really strange and anowing !  anybody can advise on this and provide a trick ? 

Did you go into your preferences and then to sound and to USB device? it would be there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back