Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
May 16, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #3,661 of 5,538
With the P+ mode I hear a slight crackling (sizzle) in the background of the music. I use rhapsodio infinity MK2 (109db/12,5ohms) where final FI-BA-SS (112db/16ohms) as headphones. I currently have 9 hours of listening.

To complete, on my sedentary headphones (Elegia : 105db/35ohms / Klipsch : 98db/25ohms) which are less sensitive, I don't have the problem.

Is this normal?

Can you please get back to me.
First I don't understand why you need p+ with such highly sensitive headphones 109db at 12.5ohms that is way too much drive. You should be running class A and P only and at volume below 40Ldb, I think at very low impedance you could push the Amp output to switch mode maybe the reason for the clipping sound, maybe .... I guess @Andykong can provide better insight

May 16, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #3,662 of 5,538
First I don't understand why you need p+ with such highly sensitive headphones 109db at 12.5ohms that is way too much drive. You should be running class A and P only and at volume below 40Ldb, I think at very low impedance you could push the Amp output to switch mode maybe the reason for the clipping sound, maybe .... I guess @Andykong can provide better insight
Cause + is better than -

Attachments

• 20190821_231114.jpg
    20190821_231114.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #3,663 of 5,538
I think @davidmolliere has that combo...

I do have N8ii and Pegasus but right now stuck to USB, didn't get to buy a I2S cable yet...
(Pretty much away from HF as I am still lost in limbo of homestaging/refresh/selling my apartment, buying is now almost wrapped)

May 16, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #3,665 of 5,538
10+ hrs of constant listening from Seattle to Warsaw. I’m pairing with qdc anole V14 (thanks musicteck for both) and like an earlier commenter listening only to sacd iso extracts. Absolutely amazing…completely black sound floor, amazing detail, brilliant sound. I really feel like - at least for a short time - I’ve reached my audio end-game. Of course I’m waiting for my new wm1zm2 from Woo, so we’ll see 😏
CAA77734-2018-40E4-A341-28756B0A24F6.jpeg

May 16, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #3,666 of 5,538
10+ hrs of constant listening from Seattle to Warsaw. I’m pairing with qdc anole V14 (thanks musicteck for both) and like an earlier commenter listening only to sacd iso extracts. Absolutely amazing…completely black sound floor, amazing detail, brilliant sound. I really feel like - at least for a short time - I’ve reached my audio end-game. Of course I’m waiting for my new wm1zm2 from Woo, so we’ll see 😏
How's the V14 ?
Been looking at it for a while ... ?

May 16, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #3,667 of 5,538
I'm more interested in what you have in that glass.. :thinking:

May 16, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #3,669 of 5,538
yes @Andykong's opinion will be interesting to tell us if this crackling (sizzle) that I hear is normal.

May 16, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #3,671 of 5,538
How's the V14 ?
Been looking at it for a while ... ?
I have to admit, I was a bit biased against Chinese IEMs until I went to a meet-up and tried a pair of qdc VXs someone brought. I was really impressed and ordered a custom pair which have been my favorites for years (and I have many flagships as points of comparison). I was really happy when the V14s launched and have been super happy with them in use. I’m a fan of the ability to fine tune the sound with qdc’s switches (also like this feature on on the Layla Aions, albeit on the cable vs. the iems themselves). Dita makes a qdc-specific version of its Oslo cable which I love as well.

May 16, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #3,672 of 5,538
I have to admit, I was a bit biased against Chinese IEMs until I went to a meet-up and tried a pair of qdc VXs someone brought. I was really impressed and ordered a custom pair which have been my favorites for years (and I have many flagships as points of comparison). I was really happy when the V14s launched and have been super happy with them in use. I’m a fan of the ability to fine tune the sound with qdc’s switches (also like this feature on on the Layla Aions, albeit on the cable vs. the iems themselves). Dita makes a qdc-specific version of its Oslo cable which I love as well.
Been looking at them for a while
VX will be at the edge for me Treble wise but V14 seems my liking
You like the Dita Oslo ?
I ordered a Brise Audio STR-7 Ref last week
dsc_7011 (1).jpg

May 16, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #3,673 of 5,538
May 17, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #3,674 of 5,538
With the P+ mode I hear a slight crackling (sizzle) in the background of the music. I use rhapsodio infinity MK2 (109db/12,5ohms) where final FI-BA-SS (112db/16ohms) as headphones. I currently have 9 hours of listening.

To complete, on my sedentary headphones (Elegia : 105db/35ohms / Klipsch : 98db/25ohms) which are less sensitive, I don't have the problem.

Is this normal?

Can you please get back to me.
Yeah you have selected too much power for what’s a pretty sensitive IEM. I’m on P / MdB and have had no waterfall issues
yes @Andykong's opinion will be interesting to tell us if this crackling (sizzle) that I hear is normal.

I don't have anything to add here, @mvvRAZ and @ECKHUAAA have provided a very precise and correct assessment of the problem.

@Juppiter have you checked the specification of N8ii when you run into a problem? The rated output of N8ii will increase from 760mW per channel to 1200mW per channel when you switch from P mode to P+ mode in 4.4mm Balanced phone out (or 420mW to 720mW with 3.5mm single-ended). If it sounds good in P mode but you heard abnormal noise with P+mode, I think we all come to the same explanation that you have over-driven your IEM already. The Infinity MK2 is an all-BA design, the distortion is more audible than DD based IEM when over-driven.

I think I need to stress one point: The different N8ii modes and their combinations are meant to make the DAP more versatile, but please don't assume every mode/combination will sound good for every IEM, so if you find some combinations didn't work out with our gears, don't panic, please stay with the settings that work fine. For instance, the P+ mode is clearly designed to handle difficult loads, and when you use it with high sensitivity and low impedance IEM, it can be inappropriate, and with certain types of music, it will even cause distortion.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 17, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #3,675 of 5,538
I don't have anything to add here, @mvvRAZ and @ECKHUAAA have provided a very precise and correct assessment of the problem.

@Juppiter have you checked the specification of N8ii when you run into a problem? The rated output of N8ii will increase from 760mW per channel to 1200mW per channel when you switch from P mode to P+ mode in 4.4mm Balanced phone out (or 420mW to 720mW with 3.5mm single-ended). If it sounds good in P mode but you heard abnormal noise with P+mode, I think we all come to the same explanation that you have over-driven your IEM already. The Infinity MK2 is an all-BA design, the distortion is more audible than DD based IEM when over-driven.

I think I need to stress one point: The different N8ii modes and their combinations are meant to make the DAP more versatile, but please don't assume every mode/combination will sound good for every IEM, so if you find some combinations didn't work out with our gears, don't panic, please stay with the settings that work fine. For instance, the P+ mode is clearly designed to handle difficult loads, and when you use it with high sensitivity and low impedance IEM, it can be inappropriate, and with certain types of music, it will even cause distortion.

@Andykong

Thank you and yes I understand that this mode is not appropriate.

On the other hand, unless I am mistaken, it is not distortion that I hear but a crackling in the background of the music (the background of the music is not a deep black).

Are we talking about the same thing ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back