Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
May 14, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #3,631 of 5,543
I thought my DSDs 256/512 were great, but SACD-ISO truly showcase the capabilities the N8ii and I'm sure other DAPs too, but f'wow.

For everyone's edification, an ISO file is just a collection of DSD (DSF/DST) tracks compressed like a computer ZIP file and is mainly used for convenience. It's definitely the recording quality in this case...as that sampler was purposely sent knowing the organic production would sound incredible on the Cayin :)

I spent a good amount of time meticulously extracting ISO files from my original SACD discs from back in the day...as certain Blu-Ray players have the ability to do it with a computer.

Also, someone mentioned DSD is a waste of space and I have to disagree with that... except for one area. If you have a DST ISO that's a multi-channel release that also has 2 channel as well (like the famous Warner DVD-Audios like Rumours, Hotel California, etc that were converted to Japanese SACD)... so you're using a ton of space when you can only really listen to the much smaller 2 channel version on a DAP. If you extracted out just the 2ch DSD files, you'd have probably a third of the original file size. But...it's just so tidy and convenient & storage is cheap these days.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #3,632 of 5,543
Will that be a newer flagship placed above the N8ii or below? :thinking:
Something interesting, I choose my word carefully so that it won't relate to flagship. :smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 14, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #3,634 of 5,543
For those of you interested, this is the sampler I sent Auricon... because he generously answered a ton of questions about this product for me and I wanted to see what that player can really do.

To patronize a great release, I tracked down a source and it's less than $10 USD to apparently download directly...even less if you do multiple orders. That's about 1/350 of the cost of the player itself :) As a suggestion maybe get some people together here and do a mass order. Trust me, it's worth every penny as you can probably tell from A's description l--there's some extremely well-recorded material on here as to be expected from a German audiophile label.

https://audiophilemusic.io/product/aya-authentic-audio-check-2011-sacd-stockfisch-records/

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #3,637 of 5,543
@Andykong

I just charged my cayin n8ii for the first time. During charging and even when the charge reached 100%, the charging indicator remained white without flashing.
Is this normal (indicator no red and (indicator by red / indicator not flashing while charging) ?

If you're charging with the device off, you will see a plain white, solid LED. It will stay constant, it's more a "hey, I'm plugged in!" indicator in that state. If the device is on, you'll see red/pulse.

May 14, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #3,639 of 5,543
I thought my DSDs 256/512 were great, but SACD-ISO truly showcase the capabilities the N8ii and I'm sure other DAPs too, but f'wow.

For everyone's edification, an ISO file is just a collection of DSD (DSF/DST) tracks compressed like a computer ZIP file and is mainly used for convenience. It's definitely the recording quality in this case...as that sampler was purposely sent knowing the organic production would sound incredible on the Cayin :)

I spent a good amount of time meticulously extracting ISO files from my original SACD discs from back in the day...as certain Blu-Ray players have the ability to do it with a computer.

Also, someone mentioned DSD is a waste of space and I have to disagree with that... except for one area. If you have a DST ISO that's a multi-channel release that also has 2 channel as well (like the famous Warner DVD-Audios like Rumours, Hotel California, etc that were converted to Japanese SACD)... so you're using a ton of space when you can only really listen to the much smaller 2 channel version on a DAP. If you extracted out just the 2ch DSD files, you'd have probably a third of the original file size. But...it's just so tidy and convenient & storage is cheap these days.
Thank you for my edification and clarification. I was awestruck with the listening experience of the sample album recording!

May 14, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #3,640 of 5,543
Something interesting, I choose my word carefully so that it won't relate to flagship. :smile:
I'm getting R2R vibes (or something discrete) here!

May 14, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #3,641 of 5,543
Whatever it is, I'm gonna enjoy my n8ii!

May 14, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #3,642 of 5,543
I'm getting R2R vibes (or something discrete) here!
lol, I kind of hope not. Other brands need my money. If Cayin keeps going at this rate, I won't be able to sample any other dap manufacturers gear.

In 2 years, I will probably be on the prowl for something else, with just enough to... buy a Cayin flagship r-2r, lmao.

May 14, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #3,644 of 5,543
With the P+ mode I hear a slight crackling (sizzle) in the background of the music. I use rhapsodio infinity MK2 (109db/12,5ohms) where final FI-BA-SS (112db/16ohms) as headphones. I currently have 9 hours of listening.

To complete, on my sedentary headphones (Elegia : 105db/35ohms / Klipsch : 98db/25ohms) which are less sensitive, I don't have the problem.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• 1652559372673.png
    1652559372673.png
    312 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1652600323334.png
    1652600323334.png
    312 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #3,645 of 5,543
Where is the default wallpaper located? I am trying to go back to default and can't find it anywhere on the system. There is a violin pic titled wallpaper but it isn't the stereo cabinet one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back