Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
May 13, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #3,617 of 5,571
But I bought this on a semi-whim, main use-case streaming while in bed/reading the news.

My use scenario exactly--or maybe some long trips in the car. Since "portability" is not an issue I could consider the M17 as well, but as expensive as it is I keep coming back to the N8ii and that sound profile. I am used to and prefer tube sound via my HT Conrad-Johson tube preamp and both my local media and streaming service is top-notch (100% DSD files and Qobuz 24-192 streaming). Even my main cans collection of the botique Final Audio Sonorous X, and *both* Pioneer SE-Master1 and SE-Monitor5's are certainly no slouches--so they would resolve every nuance the N8ii is capable of. It would probably also be closest in sound to the frankly amazing (but zero online capable) Calyx M.

Live in BFE in terms of try before purchase option...but I'm thinking i should just bite the bullet for the N8ii and be done with it for a looooong time:)
Replied in our PMs but figured I'd share out. Cayin and HiBY Music Players (both installed on N8ii) playback SACD-ISO perfectly.

My reply:

Was able to download and transfer the ISO file to the N8ii. Scanned the folder, 20 tracks recognized. Playback is perfect, no issues, gapless works perfectly. OMG - the sounds and music, so f'ing amazing, the f'ing resolution... Wow, wow all I want to listen to are ISOs LOL! Man, ISO + N8ii - f'ing bliss. Thank thank you.

I thought my DSDs 256/512 were great, but SACD-ISO truly showcase the capabilities the N8ii and I'm sure other DAPs too, but f'wow.

IMG_5037.jpegIMG_5039.jpegIMG_5040.jpeg

May 13, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #3,618 of 5,571
Replied in our PMs but figured I'd share out. Cayin and HiBY Music Players (both installed on N8ii) playback SACD-ISO perfectly.

I thought my DSDs 256/512 were great, but SACD-ISO truly showcase the capabilities the N8ii and I'm sure other DAPs too, but f'wow.

IMG_5037.jpegIMG_5039.jpegIMG_5040.jpeg
Rookie but all ears
SACD-ISO you prefer over DSD ?
And you play them directly on the N8II via what player ... ?

May 13, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #3,619 of 5,571
Rookie but all ears
SACD-ISO you prefer over DSD ?
And you play them directly on the N8II via what player ... ?

This test ISO album sound pretty amazing and are comparable to the 512s I've heard. But TBH I definitely think it's the recording.

Playing them directly using Cayin Music Player which is based off HiBy player also installed.

May 13, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #3,620 of 5,571
This test ISO album sound pretty amazing and are comparable to the 512s I've heard. But TBH I definitely think it's the recording.

Playing them directly using Cayin Music Player which is based off HiBy player also installed.
Nice
Never tried ISO files to be honest
Well soon I will when my N8II has arrived

May 13, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #3,621 of 5,571
Nice
Never tried ISO files to be honest
Well soon I will when my N8II has arrived
Ja, TBH this was my first also. I've listened to SACDs many many many years ago and recently DSD/DXDs. While I've read about converting SACD-ISOs to DSF but never tried it personally. This audio check ISO is pretty amazing to listen to in testing the capabilities of your DAP and IEM. The taiko drums sub-bass rumble in "Percussion Improvisation" TIEFBASS is freaking amazing hearing on EXT and EVO - the vibrations, LOL...

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #3,622 of 5,571
Ja, TBH this was my first also. I've listened to SACDs many many many years ago and recently DSD/DXDs. While I've read about converting SACD-ISOs to DSF but never tried it personally. This audio check ISO is pretty amazing to listen to in testing the capabilities of your DAP and IEM. The taiko drums sub-bass rumble in "Percussion Improvisation" TIEFBASS is freaking amazing hearing on EXT and EVO - the vibrations, LOL...
I'll definitely gonna give it a shot
My N8II is shipped so ... maybe next week ... 🤞
Both are nice pairs and on my To Get list

May 13, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #3,623 of 5,571
DSD is such a waste of storage space. I so regret wasting substantial amoumt of money on DSD albums in the past. I wouldn't want anything higher than 96k 24 on my microSD card.

I'm starting to like the tube mode more than SS. N8ii is such a good player. I plan to add DX320 as a back up player when it hits the market, then I don't want anything else for the next 3 years.😆🙃

May 13, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #3,624 of 5,571
DSD is such a waste of storage space. I so regret wasting substantial amoumt of money on DSD albums in the past. I wouldn't want anything higher than 96k 24 on my microSD card.

I'm starting to like the tube mode more than SS. N8ii is such a good player. I plan to add DX320 as a back up player when it hits the market, then I don't want anything else for the next 3 years.😆🙃

Glad you like our N8ii, I am sure you'll enjoy it more down the road.

Next 3 years?
Normally we are skeptical when someone says they won't buy anything for one year, but when someone extends that to 3 years, we won't feel skeptical at all, we simply don't believe it. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 13, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #3,625 of 5,571
Glad you like our N8ii, I am sure you'll enjoy it more down the road.

Next 3 years?
Normally we are skeptical when someone says they won't buy anything for one year, but when someone extends that to 3 years, we won't feel skeptical at all, we simply don't believe it. :ksc75smile:
I figured that's when the next Cayin flagship will be out. 😛🤣 Let me know if you have other plans, so I can adjust my timeline lol.

May 13, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #3,626 of 5,571
I figured that's when the next Cayin flagship will be out. 😛🤣 Let me know if you have other plans, so I can adjust my timeline lol.

Now we are talking. We are cooking something interesting, as we should be. It's unlikely that we can roll out another DAP in 2022, but definitely sooner than 3 years. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 13, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #3,627 of 5,571
Now we are talking. We are cooking something interesting, as we should be. It's unlikely that we can roll out another DAP in 2022, but definitely sooner than 3 years. :beerchug:

Will that be a newer flagship placed above the N8ii or below? :thinking:

May 13, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #3,629 of 5,571

Users who are viewing this thread

Back