Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #2,192 of 5,538
No, it isn’t the drain that is faster than charge. It is the temperature protection issues. I lay it on the countertop bare like this with HD820/H-gain/Tubes/P+/AB and it plays/charge all day. I calibrated my battery and charger limit at 95%, and it does wonderfully so

I even play with different files format

Wifi off though

Apple charger will work wonderfully
50F9E99B-CB47-4FD2-9C77-411AAA064F63.jpeg

Has to be my PC that can't charge quick enough then as the unit is cool to the touch plugged in and sitting on my fans. I'll try again over the weekend.
Could be cause I left Wifi on

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #2,193 of 5,538
Mar 24, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #2,195 of 5,538
Mar 24, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #2,197 of 5,538
Is that card supposed to be better then others?
I'll let more studied members with more experience on this specific card weigh in.

TLDR; of it is yes. Personally I've been a skeptic but decided why not, give it go.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #2,198 of 5,538
I would also agree. Regardless of how something measures, R2R has a "better" more lifelike sound to my ears. The N8ii is fabulous though, and easily as good as any DAP I've ever heard.

If someone made an R2R DAP with tubes, a real usable interface, and streaming I would probably have that instead, but alas they do not. N6ii is great but pales in comparison to the L&P family in my personal opinion. But L&P players have nothing on an Android platform for usability, so there is always a compromise.
I am wondering whether it's possible at all in making R2R DAP with tubes since it may go against the spirit of what sound one is trying to achieve. I was thinking Cayin went with the Rohm DAC since it's the best option if the end game is to get the best tube sound (and that AKM burnt down so no access to the chips). I don't know enough about how the Rohm DACs handles the conversions but it must be good since that they are a Japanese Company with lots of experience in this area. If Luxman uses them, they must be good. I agree and always thought for the very high fidelity, natural sound the R2R DACs are the best. Certainly from my listening experience with the R2Rs especially what L&P are doing they seemed to have cracked it in terms of the quality of sound at the very high end. To me both are just super companies making great sounds for people with different tastes. It also depends on what music people listen to, to decide on what sound they want. Sometimes in a great sounding tube sound, there has to be some imperfections such as distortion and compression to make it sound good. Like when we listen to electric guitars we need that craziness in there to feel that emotion.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #2,199 of 5,538
Trying to find the right charger to charge and playback at the same time, none of my Apple ones will atm, nor does my PC. In A/B mode, P off and low gain and still drains faster then it charges. Still shows that's charging though even though it isn't, like it's mocking me. Playing a mix of Flac/MP3 via Neutron on shuffle
Has to be my PC that can't charge quick enough then as the unit is cool to the touch plugged in and sitting on my fans. I'll try again over the weekend.
Could be cause I left Wifi on
If I remember correctly, when you use the USB3.0 USB port of your PC to charge external USB device, the maximum charging rate is 5V 0.9mA. If you are using the USB2.0 USB port, the maxium charging rats is 5V 0.5A, that is equivalent to 2.5W charging capacity, around 14% of QC3.0 charger. :ksc75smile:

To clarify the questions related to USB charging, N8ii works with three types of USB charger
  • Standard 5V USB charger (0.5A to 2A)
  • Qualcomm Quick Charge QC2.0 and 3.0 charger (upto 18W)
  • Power Delivery (USB-PD) charger (2.0, 9V 2A)
This article explains the poplular USB charging technologies in the market today. Yes, it is a bit long, because the a lot of mobile companies are rolling out their propritary charging technologies as selling point. Unfortunately these propritary charging technologies can only be used by their own mobile phones, and the three charging protocol supported by N8ii are, by far the most common choice that are not mobile phone brand specific. If you can spend some time to go through this article, or google USB charging, you won't be confused again.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 25, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #2,200 of 5,538
another problem I encountered is the double tap wake up screen function does not work correctly while charging if the charger is not grounded. have to tap few more times to wake up.

however, if the charger is grounded (e.g. ifi ipower elite), it works correctly.

I also run into similar problem with my Android phones, even pull down the notification center from the top takes several attempts. I believe this is a generic problem of "compact" capacitive touch screen device, that the sensitivity of the touch screen will be affected when the device is charging.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #2,201 of 5,538
If I remember correctly, when you use the USB3.0 USB port of your PC to charge external USB device, the maximum charging rate is 5V 0.9mA. If you are using the USB2.0 USB port, the maxium charging rats is 5V 0.5A, that is equivalent to 2.5W charging capacity, around 14% of QC3.0 charger. :ksc75smile:

To clarify the questions related to USB charging, N8ii works with three types of USB charger
  • Standard 5V USB charger (0.5A to 2A)
  • Qualcomm Quick Charge QC2.0 and 3.0 charger
  • Power Delivery (USB-PD) charge
I have tried many chargers, and never once have I had fast charging. Two different Satechi PD chargers, several "fast" phone chargers that support QC3 or QC2, Apple chargers for laptop, iPad chargers, Amazon basic stuff none of them get me more than a trickle. Turning the unit off and charging has no effect on speed.

With the right settings I can now keep my N8ii playing and charging at the same time without triggering the heat shutdown. But it charges very slowly, sometimes even so slowly that the battery level decreases over a few hours while plugged in. There has to be some sort of firmware fix or patch for this. I understand that there are many different types of fast charging and yes, not all can be supported, but this is ridiculous.

The sound is spectacular, but I would imagine people will jump ship on this device if they can't get this charging functionality to work even at the most basic level. Buying a $3500 dap should not include having to search and buy a bunch of chargers to blindly see which one will work.

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #2,202 of 5,538
One more thing to take Note. I was wrong in thinking that the back of the N8ii doesn’t help much in heat dissipations

Completely wrong !!

Having it laying bare atop of a cool aluminum surface or granite countertops. The N8ii is running a lot Cooler to the touch H/tubes/P+/AB. I do have it crazily heating up when laying bare on my bed, due to the blanket or mattress…whatever

Now we finally find out why several others said their N8ii are warm and your N8ii are very hot.

If you have defrost tray in your kitchen, maybe worth a try. Put the N8ii on top of the defrost tray and charge it at P+/Tube mode, hopefully it won't trigger the protection mechanism.

Defrost tray is not that good for food because only the surface of the meat will defrost quickly, the interior take a long time because meat is not a particularly good conductor of heat, but the aluminum chassis (and internal CNCed frame) are very good conductor, so it probably can cool down the DAP very effectively.

1648184125079.png

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #2,203 of 5,538
This one will fast charge all day long. Its also been tested for true output and meets advertised specs unlike many others. I got it last week and its been charging N8ii and S21 like a champ. Even managed to charge a colleagues s22 on the ultra fast charging it can take whilst retaining fast charge on N8ii. It's 24w on single channel for qc3.0 and drops to 18w when the other channel has PD in use (pd does 65w single channel, 45w when both channels used.

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #2,204 of 5,538
Now it shows "plugged in, can't charge now" on the battery settings page. Tried 5 chargers, many different cables, always same result. If I turn off the unit it shows the battery charging animation.

I really don't understand this. How can such a great company make such amazing sounding products, and have such an issue with such a basic functionality? Are others having the same problems as me?

20220324_214802.jpg

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #2,205 of 5,538
I have tried many chargers, and never once have I had fast charging. Two different Satechi PD chargers, several "fast" phone chargers that support QC3 or QC2, Apple chargers for laptop, iPad chargers, Amazon basic stuff none of them get me more than a trickle. Turning the unit off and charging has no effect on speed.

With the right settings I can now keep my N8ii playing and charging at the same time without triggering the heat shutdown. But it charges very slowly, sometimes even so slowly that the battery level decreases over a few hours while plugged in. There has to be some sort of firmware fix or patch for this. I understand that there are many different types of fast charging and yes, not all can be supported, but this is ridiculous.

The sound is spectacular, but I would imagine people will jump ship on this device if they can't get this charging functionality to work even at the most basic level. Buying a $3500 dap should not include having to search and buy a bunch of chargers to blindly see which one will work.
N8ii can drain a 10000mAH battery in 7 hours, that is 3 to 4 times faster then regular mobile phones. that explained why "it charges very slowly, sometimes even so slowly that the battery level decreases over a few hours" if you playback and charge at the same time, even with quick charge.

The N8ii is NOT a desktop player, charge and playback at the same time is not the scanerio that we have in mind when we design this product. If you are looking for a DAP that can works fine to charge and playback at the same time, we are sorry that N8ii probably is not the an appropriate choice for you. It doesn't matter how expensive it is. If you need a SUV, the most expensive super sport car won't serve the purpose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back