Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 24, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #2,161 of 5,538
Trying to find the right charger to charge and playback at the same time, none of my Apple ones will atm, nor does my PC. In A/B mode, P off and low gain and still drains faster then it charges. Still shows that's charging though even though it isn't, like it's mocking me. Playing a mix of Flac/MP3 via Neutron on shuffle

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #2,162 of 5,538
Trying to find the right charger to charge and playback at the same time, none of my Apple ones will atm, nor does my PC. In A/B mode, P off and low gain and still drains faster then it charges. Still shows that's charging though even though it isn't, like it's mocking me. Playing a mix of Flac/MP3 via Neutron on shuffle
I am not sure the battery % is reliable at the moment. I suspect that the apple chargers actually do the job, but the % cannot be trusted right now.

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #2,163 of 5,538
Did you switch it off when charging? It will only work if the player is on.
I always charge with the players off.

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #2,164 of 5,538
No, it isn’t the drain that is faster than charge. It is the temperature protection issues. I lay it on the countertop bare like this with HD820/H-gain/Tubes/P+/AB and it plays/charge all day. I calibrated my battery and charger limit at 95%, and it does wonderfully so

I even play with different files format

Wifi off though

Apple charger will work wonderfully
50F9E99B-CB47-4FD2-9C77-411AAA064F63.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #2,165 of 5,538
One more thing to take Note. I was wrong in thinking that the back of the N8ii doesn’t help much in heat dissipations

Completely wrong !!

Having it laying bare atop of a cool aluminum surface or granite countertops. The N8ii is running a lot Cooler to the touch H/tubes/P+/AB. I do have it crazily heating up when laying bare on my bed, due to the blanket or mattress…whatever
Noticed if a prop the N8ii up a bit with a tv remote that the N8ii stays much cooler. Definitely vents from the solid back some how.

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #2,167 of 5,538
No, it isn’t the drain that is faster than charge. It is the temperature protection issues. I lay it on the countertop bare like this with HD820/H-gain/Tubes/P+/AB and it plays/charge all day. I calibrated my battery and charger limit at 95%, and it does wonderfully so

I even play with different files format

Wifi off though

Apple charger will work wonderfully
50F9E99B-CB47-4FD2-9C77-411AAA064F63.jpeg
Maybe you could lay it on a gel pack that you keep in the freezer.

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #2,170 of 5,538
Okay, I needed to get a baseline reference for comparing the Liric that I just received for review. So, I set up the N8ii in high gain LO for pairing with the C9 in Class AB, tube mode, line in.

I've been listening primarily to IEMs over the past 2 weeks. So, switching back to headphones is reminding me why I love headphones. N8ii + C9 in tubes mode is fantastic with Hifiman HE1000v2. Giant stage. Lots of detail. More natural sound. A/B testing with RS6 + C9. N8ii is more transparent and uncolored. RS6 is bass boosted, but not warmer through the mids. The greater detail and resolution of the N8ii gives it more analog sound. The Hifiman headphones can sound very digital. In this case the N8ii is less so. Hifiman headphones are hard to drive. I have the volume on the C9 set at 12 noon in high gain. Also have the N8ii in high gain line out. I would like to A/B test this set up with the DMP Z1. The only thing it is missing is world class slam, but that is a limitation of the HE1000v2, not the N8ii.
I have the Hifiman HE1000SE @96dB/watt
My N6ii-RO1 drove it well and the N8ii drove it even better and the synergy is ecstatic
Very organic, rich, deep detailed textured bass with speed and slam and I am only running P mode AB and HdB Tube ... ofcourse I use the Arctic Cable Integra with Furutech carbon connectors...the cable simply dissappears

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #2,172 of 5,538
I didn't know you can use the iFi iPower Elite to charge a DAP. I believe this is a low-noise power supplier to DAC or amplifier with DC input, not a charger by design, Will it handshake with the DAP to establish a proper charging portocol? I seriously doubt. The high current output of Power Elite is rated at 12V/4A, that is a 48W power supply, it can quite likely causing damge to your N8ii even in short term use, because N8ii is not designed to work with external power supply, and the USB charging system cannot be mistaken as DC input for the player, they are completely different concept.

PLEASE DON'T DO THAT AGAIN. If you damaged your N8ii because of this practise, you'll void your warranty.
Hey Andy. Little confused with all this charger discussion. I am using Anker nano II 45w ,is it safe to use?

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #2,174 of 5,538
Hey Andy. Little confused with all this charger discussion. I am using Anker nano II 45w ,is it safe to use?
Well I use the same only 65w and it works fine, no issues....

So far by the way, no charging issues... current quality?

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #2,175 of 5,538
Well I use the same only 65w and it works fine, no issues....

So far by the way, no charging issues... current quality?
Use the identical Anker Nano II 45w and no charging issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back