Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 25, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #2,206 of 5,538
Now it shows "plugged in, can't charge now" on the battery settings page. Tried 5 chargers, many different cables, always same result. If I turn off the unit it shows the battery charging animation.

I really don't understand this. How can such a great company make such amazing sounding products, and have such an issue with such a basic functionality? Are others having the same problems as me?

Looks like max battery charge to 90% and should stop charging at the percentage set. But I could be incorrect in my assumption.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #2,207 of 5,538
Looks like max battery charge to 90% and should stop charging at the percentage set. But I could be incorrect in my assumption.
Ahhh, you're totally correct. I didn't catch that, thanks for the good eyes! :)

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #2,208 of 5,538
Mar 25, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #2,209 of 5,538
Ahhh, you're totally correct. I didn't catch that, thanks for the good eyes! :)

On my M17, there’s a system UI notification that displays when it reaches the battery level charge you’ve set and also makes for a better and contextual user experience.

There’s some good best practices out there from other DAP manufacturers. :wink:

46D4070F-7704-4E1F-A93F-1FF9A511CC02.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #2,210 of 5,538
N8ii can drain a 10000mAH battery in 7 hours, that is 3 to 4 times faster then regular mobile phones. that explained why "it charges very slowly, sometimes even so slowly that the battery level decreases over a few hours" if you playback and charge at the same time, even with quick charge.

The N8ii is NOT a desktop player, charge and playback at the same time is not the scanerio that we have in mind when we design this product. If you are looking for a DAP that can works fine to charge and playback at the same time, we are sorry that N8ii probably is not the an appropriate choice for you. It doesn't matter how expensive it is. If you need a SUV, the most expensive super sport car won't serve the purpose.
I totally get it that this was not designed to be a desktop device, that is not my point at all. All the tech inside is cutting edge, and the portability of it brings many new difficulties to the design, I get it. I just don't understand how any electronic device can lose power while plugged in.

Once my break-in is complete this will be much less important. But it's still bizarre to me, though I am certainly not an electronic engineer and I could easily be mistaken. My concern is that I cannot get a fast charge on a device that supports fast charging - despite the fact that I own many fast chargers and none of them seem to work.

Mar 25, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #2,211 of 5,538
I totally get it that this was not designed to be a desktop device, that is not my point at all. All the tech inside is cutting edge, and the portability of it brings many new difficulties to the design, I get it. I just don't understand how any electronic device can lose power while plugged in.

Once my break-in is complete this will be much less important. But it's still bizarre to me, though I am certainly not an electronic engineer and I could easily be mistaken. My concern is that I cannot get a fast charge on a device that supports fast charging - despite the fact that I own many fast chargers and none of them seem to work.
When the n8ii is not use charging, as long as the fast charging protocol matches, the fast charging will take effect If it is convenient for you, you can send some photos of the charger. Please show the above specifications, such as output voltage and current

When the n8ii is charged during use, the situation will become complicated. Due to the existence of protection mechanism, the charging current will decrease when the temperature rises And stop charging after reaching the fixed value Andy has explained this before

So let's see under what circumstances you judge that fast charging doesn't work.

These information can facilitate us to judge quickly

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 25, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #2,212 of 5,538
This one will fast charge all day long. Its also been tested for true output and meets advertised specs unlike many others. I got it last week and its been charging N8ii and S21 like a champ. Even managed to charge a colleagues s22 on the ultra fast charging it can take whilst retaining fast charge on N8ii. It's 24w on single channel for qc3.0 and drops to 18w when the other channel has PD in use (pd does 65w single channel, 45w when both channels used.
That's what I've been using for the past few months. It's a very reliable charger for a multitude of items. USB-A with USB-C sockets on one charger is most useful.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #2,213 of 5,538

Yes, I also don't understand why I am on a diet already but I can't stop gaining weight. :ksc75smile:

Joking aside, let's examine the problem in more detail. This is not as straightforward as 1+1=2 in reality.

First of all, the word "quick charge" is frequently misused in mobile device marketing. This is like "xeror 10 copies of this document" . Xeror is a brand, but it is so popular that it become a replacement word for photocopying. Another example is HeadFi. Offically HeadFi is the name of this forum, but we were so used to that already we literally use it as a replacement phrase as "Personal Audio".

Likewise, "Quick Charge" is an USB charging protocol developed and owned by Qualcomm, and because Qualcomm CPU are so dominated in the mobile phone market, Quick Charge is now frequently used as equivalent to "high performance USB charging". The fact is, there are many different, incompatible high performance charging technologies developed by different mobile phone companies, as stated in my previous post. Some of the "high performance" USB charger come with your mobile phone will only support quickcharge/ fastcharge/flashcharge/speedcharge of the same brand. This is a mean to protect their product ecology as well as saving up the license fee to Qualcomm. Yes, you need to pay Qualcomm or use Qualcomm chipset if you want support QC2.0 and QC3.0 in the USB charger.

N8ii works with three types of USB charger, please make sure your charger conform to these standard:
  • Standard 5V USB charger (0.5A to 2A)
  • Qualcomm Quick Charge QC2.0 and 3.0 charger (upto 18W)
  • Power Delivery (USB-PD) charger (2.0, 9V 2A)
DO NOT use the USB port of your PC or notebook to charge N8ii, this will take forever. The maximum charging capacity of USB3.0 port from your PC is 5V 0.9mA. If you are using the USB2.0 USB port, the maxium charging rats drops to 5V 0.5A, that is equivalent to 2.5W charging capacity, around 14% of QC3.0 charger.

This article explains the poplular USB charging technologies in the market today. Yes, it is a bit long, because the a lot of mobile companies are rolling out their propritary charging technologies as selling point. Unfortunately these propritary charging technologies can only be used by their own mobile phones, and the three charging protocol supported by N8ii are, by far the most common choice that are not mobile phone brand specific. If you can spend some time to go through this article, or google USB charging, you won't be confused again.

If you are concern that you "cannot get a fast charge on a device that supports fast charging - despite the fact that I own many fast chargers and none of them seem to work", and you don't want to read through the technologies or the manual of your charger, you can verify the compatibility of your chargers by performing a simple 1 hour charging test.

Quck Charge Curve.jpg

This is N8ii charging curve I draw from the charging test performed by our R&D department. According to our test. you can charge the N8ii from 3% to 97% in 4 hours with QC3.0 charger. You can simply charge your N8ii (anywhere between 20% to 50% battery) with your "to-be-clarified" USB charger for 1 hour when the player is idle, dark screen and no WiFi/BT connected. If the battery capacity increased around 25%, you are charging at QC3.0 quick charge already. If you only get 15% increase with your charger, you are getting standard 5V2A only.

Once you have verified whether quick charge USB charger are indeed competible with the QC3.0 charing protocol of N8ii, you don't have to worry again that you are not gettng quick charge when you charge and playback at the same time. Theoretically, it MUST, but the charging efficiency is related to the temperature of your N8ii. This will relate to the playback setting, the playback loading (your headphone), the playback content, and even where you place the DAP when you payback and charge at the same time (e.g., HERE).

Last edited:

Mar 25, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #2,214 of 5,538
DSC090507.jpg

Did not listen to the Sony yet but:
-Size is more similar than it looks
-Sony is more pleasant to hold
-I want to do terrible things to the Sony person that decided to go with this SoC, the UI feels slow as hell, who dared to call that smooth?
-I take back what I said about Android 9 on N8ii, I prefer navigating the N8ii without any doubt

I will listen way later today, but Sony will have hard time to get my hands off the N8ii.

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #2,215 of 5,538
DSC090507.jpg
Did not listen to the Sony yet but:
-Size is more similar than it looks
-Sony is more pleasant to hold
-I want to do terrible things to the Sony person that decided to go with this SoC, the UI feels slow as hell, who dared to call that smooth?
-I take back what I said about Android 9 on N8ii, I prefer navigating the N8ii without any doubt

I will listen way later today, but Sony will have hard time to get my hands off the N8ii.
Unfortunately, users are more inclined to "straight forward" quantifiable number, so Android 10 DAP are more update and advance than Android 9 DAP, I can understand that asumption, and I make the same assumptions when I choose my mobile phone.

Please come back and share your impression, we are all looking forward to. :beerchug:

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #2,216 of 5,538
Unfortunately, users are more inclined to "straight forward" quantifiable number, so Android 10 DAP are more update and advance than Android 9 DAP, I can understand that asumption, and I make the same assumptions when I choose my mobile phone.

Please come back and share your impression, we are all looking forward to. :beerchug:
Well... I should give it more time, cause if I would be to make a choice right now, it would be N8ii, no hesitation.
But I doubt I will change my mind, without the N8ii, I would have given a chance to the Sony, but I don't think I will even push. (I won't make friends with the Sony fans, sorry!)

Mar 25, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #2,217 of 5,538
Now we finally find out why several others said their N8ii are warm and your N8ii are very hot.

If you have defrost tray in your kitchen, maybe worth a try. Put the N8ii on top of the defrost tray and charge it at P+/Tube mode, hopefully it won't trigger the protection mechanism.

Defrost tray is not that good for food because only the surface of the meat will defrost quickly, the interior take a long time because meat is not a particularly good conductor of heat, but the aluminum chassis (and internal CNCed frame) are very good conductor, so it probably can cool down the DAP very effectively.

Yes! So the issues are found ! Read on, if charging is an issue that bothers you
This one will fast charge all day long. Its also been tested for true output and meets advertised specs unlike many others. I got it last week and its been charging N8ii and S21 like a champ. Even managed to charge a colleagues s22 on the ultra fast charging it can take whilst retaining fast charge on N8ii. It's 24w on single channel for qc3.0 and drops to 18w when the other channel has PD in use (pd does 65w single channel, 45w when both channels used.
using QC 3.0 and or other chargers that is 30W+ such as Apple UsB C or Mcbook , and it charges rapidly as well....just as long as you satisfy it 2 conditions

Heat generation and dissipation! The player will not charge when heat Generated is high and the dissipation can not help the player to cool down enough

Heat generation will be high by 2 condition: Either staying in the case, or laying atop of some thing that can trap the heat, such as the bed, mattress, blanket. The back of the player is a heat dissipation area.

By taking the Player out of the case, and ensuring both the Top and the bottom are having good air circulation, you don’t even need a fan next to it, just staying in a cool ambient room at 73-74F would do the job. You can even take out the case, have the player to stay atop of the case in a cool room, and you can charge together with play back at the same time

N8ii can drain a 10000mAH battery in 7 hours, that is 3 to 4 times faster then regular mobile phones. that explained why "it charges very slowly, sometimes even so slowly that the battery level decreases over a few hours" if you playback and charge at the same time, even with quick charge.

The N8ii is NOT a desktop player, charge and playback at the same time is not the scanerio that we have in mind when we design this product. If you are looking for a DAP that can works fine to charge and playback at the same time, we are sorry that N8ii probably is not the an appropriate choice for you. It doesn't matter how expensive it is. If you need a SUV, the most expensive super sport car won't serve the purpose.
There is nothing to be sorry about. The player drains very fast, and that I agree, but it can and it will charge during play back just fine, just as long as you don’t have it heated up, and or trapping it heat dissipations mechanism.

The N8ii will even Rapidly charge at below 90% of the battery, just as long as it is seeing the drainage is greater than the charging speed as shown in this picture. This condition will only happen when you do have a cooling surface in the back, you can see in this picture, the player is on my countertop which is a very cool surface.

The best way to do this is to Ensure that your player will have a cool surface onto it Back to help it dissipating the heat!

So! Do not use the case if you want to charge+Play together
! Use Charger that is higher than 30W better with QC 3.0 or Apple chargers! Under the Tubes Mode is when the player generate the most heat, this is when you need to ensure the proper steps to further venting and dissipating the heat, otherwise you will damage your player. Regardless, under all conditions, the player can, and will charge + Play together just fine !
85BFE4F3-22EA-4218-B456-AF98B1B3E8AF.jpeg
I was
annoyed by this for a while, but I finally found out, and I will have to say that the engineering teams from Cayin did a wonderful job, but perhaps the marketing team did not bring it into the pictures. If it wasn’t me having the time with the Cayin C9 and it heat generation, then I wouldn’t be able to find out either. The case will trap the heat inside, you will not feel it, but the player will be heating up.

/ The battery on the N8ii is laying on the very same chassis, that is acting as a heat sink, which is venting the heat generated by the whole player, which is heavily and efficiently dissipated throughout the entire body, noticeably by the BACK!

/ Unlike the C9, the battery is not sitting inside it own Tray, which is isolated and well away from the Heat source, the battery is sharing the same heat generated by the N8ii and from within. The condition of 45-50C to trigger the protection mechanism is working well as intended. The chassis may feel like 43C, but the internal is a lot hotter! Which shouldn’t be risked

/ Korg tubes draw a lot of Current, and just like other tubes, they are a heat monsters....if it isn’t heating up, it ain’t tubes, period

/ The engineers not only accounting this heating mechanism to design the most efficient heat dissipation in a portable player that I have seen, but also taking into account how to allow rapid charging when the player cooled down, together with the choices to enable charge/disable charging when used as external DAC

That was why I said Cayin engineers did a wonderful job, you just need to understand the player. Sadly, in this days and ages, people will quickly point the fingers, rather than sitting down, staying calm, and with a clear/collective minds to figure out how to solve the problems. You are not alone, including myself, if I don’t constantly be reminding myself, then I would also be the same. Fortunately, the Forum is here, so we can all share the experiences, and how to further enjoy our little machine

The N8ii not only solved many of the problems by cramping dual Korg tubes inside a small little player, but also to ensure the longevity, and safe operation Conditions! Together with amazing sound performances! It is an amazing player from the appeal, the engineering’s, the sound performances.

Even with just
the coolest operation conditions P/AB/SS/L-gain, the player will be warmed up due to the amazing ROHM Chips inside which is a Current output DAC of Desktop Class, even more than AKM4499EQ! The N8ii will be warmed up, if staying inside your Jean pocket, or backpack, though just as soon as you are holding it in your palm, or laying on a desk even with the case, you will have it very cool to the touch! That in itself is already an amazing feast of heat dissipation and cooling mechanism designed by Cayin engineers. You will not have any problem listening on the go, jogging, biking with the N8ii, just as long as you are staying with the coolest operation conditions! Even with P+ and H-gain, you will do just fine!

I am still waiting on the article about the cooling mechanism of the N8ii!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #2,218 of 5,538
Inspired by earlier examples, this is my solution for the case being a little loose. Felt furniture pads. I placed the top one away from the edge, to avoid it being too visible.

Make sure you push the pads down when putting the player into the case, to avoid the player catching the side of the pads and getting glue on the player..😊

FA9C9EBC-1A03-4FEF-BA2A-7BD09BFE0634.jpeg

0ADEE536-1B75-408D-A538-2D41C10276D7.jpeg

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #2,219 of 5,538
Inspired by earlier examples, this is my solution for the case being a little loose. Felt furniture pads. I placed the top one away from the edge, to avoid it being too visible.

Make sure you push the pads down when putting the player into the case, to avoid the player catching the side of the pads and getting glue on the player..😊

FA9C9EBC-1A03-4FEF-BA2A-7BD09BFE0634.jpeg

0ADEE536-1B75-408D-A538-2D41C10276D7.jpeg

And you just created a channel for an air flow on the back :wink:

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #2,220 of 5,538
And you just created a channel for an air flow on the back :wink:
Haha, I didn't realize that but I guess that's true... You should be in marketing... 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back