Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #2,101 of 5,538
I would not sell it if I were you.. You have got one of the best DAC Amp modules in A02 and C9.. that combination is TOTL....Just like I made a comment in Cooler thread, changing battery tray on C9 is less than 15 seconds, that should not be the reason for people to sell it.. Keep enjoying the music.. other things are just distractions
It's noise floor is astonishingly low and creates great clarity. I love the sound. The ergonomics are highly annoying.

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #2,102 of 5,538
It's noise floor is astonishingly low and creates great clarity. I love the sound. The ergonomics are highly annoying.
Yeah quite incredible and wonderful DAP with variety of options just like C9..

On the ergonomics, as Andy mentioned in this and other threads, it is just difficult to satisfy everyone's wishes (not that your wish is right or wrong).. whatever the design decision was made, we as customers have to live with it or move on... I hope in time you would also accept that is the case..

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,103 of 5,538
Yeah quite incredible and wonderful DAP with variety of options just like C9..

On the ergonomics, as Andy mentioned in this and other threads, it is just difficult to satisfy everyone's wishes (not that your wish is right or wrong).. whatever the design decision was made, we as customers have to live with it or move on... I hope in time you would also accept that is the case..
I get that which is why I am thinking about selling it even though I love the sound. I am not mad about that. I am just making a personal choice.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #2,104 of 5,538
with the N8ii, I use the ProGrade Digital 256Gb UHS-II V60 Micro SDXC. (used the same with M17)
I have been surprised how the scanning music process was fast compared to the N6ii.
I see no difference between onboard storage and external one using the streamming download or the local player.
The device handle it very well
Link to product

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #2,105 of 5,538
I think people are being kind with the “slightly warm” comment…I’ve been running mine at the same settings for about 4 hours a listen, and it is extremely hot a few hours in. I completely abandoned the case (which fits pretty poorly) after a few sessions, with no real improvement in temp.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #2,106 of 5,538
I think people are being kind with the “slightly warm” comment…I’ve been running mine at the same settings for about 4 hours a listen, and it is extremely hot a few hours in. I completely abandoned the case (which fits pretty poorly) after a few sessions, with no real improvement in temp.
I have been using mine non stop in Mid gain, Tubes, AB, P+. I consider it slightly warm. Way lower than the M17.
Way less than my Ipad if I am running demanding games. However I don't run Headphones with them with high volume. Could it be that?

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #2,107 of 5,538
The N8ii case is make from vegetable tanned calfskin, at least that's what we told from our supplier, we didn't test DNA to verfiy their claim. As with all genuine leather, dimensions might vary because this is a natural product. If your N8ii case is not as tight as it should be, may I suggest you add a plastic sheet between the back panel of the DAP and the leather case? Find an A4 plastic folder (something like THIS or THIS) and cut a small sheet of approximately 140mm x 70mm, and just slip the DAP and plastic sheet into the leather case at the same time, it should tighten up the fit immediately.

Sorry for unable to offer better option if your case is not a tight fit as it should be. We sincerely hope when N8ii draw more attention after more media reports or social media coverage, we'll attract more vendor to develop alternative leather case for N8ii.
I agree to the risk of it sliding out if one is not careful, but it makes it easy to get to the MicroSD card to add more DSD downloads since there is no slit on the side.
The case on the N6ii was always a challenge to remove, that one was a bit tight, but had a slit for MicroSD, So I kind of like that the case for N8ii is a bit loose, would have been perfect with a tiny leather rope to secure it in place from across the top

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #2,108 of 5,538
I've had it going for a few hours HG/P/Tube/A (the hottest setting) and it seems fine out of the case and laying on a microfibre cloth.
Not bad. I can hold it in my hand without having to put it down. Other daps I've owned that use the case to disperse heat, I couldn't handle all the time.
My N8ii is just sorta warmish, maybe kinda hot, sometimes. It was hotter 50 hrs ago and definitely hotter when I charge and play.

If I put that HG/P/Tube/A setting in my pocket though, it's a different story after an hour.

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #2,109 of 5,538
I have been using mine non stop in Mid gain, Tubes, AB, P+. I consider it slightly warm. Way lower than the M17.
Way less than my Ipad if I am running demanding games. However I don't run Headphones with them with high volume. Could it be that?
Temperature sense can vary quite a lot, and room temperature plays a big role as well, 15°C and 25°C rooom temperatue can makes a lot different to our sense of temperature with an 50°C DAP.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #2,110 of 5,538
Definitely some battery display issues going on here, didn’t even realize but it was still showing 100% after about 5 hours of use. Reset the DAP and then it displayed 55% which is what would make more sense. :)

I had that issue yesterday. Stayed on 100% until it died. Plugged it in and charged it back up to 92% and the battery hasn’t depleted at all 🤔

Bug noted, will inform our team to rectify this ASAP.

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #2,111 of 5,538
Mar 24, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #2,112 of 5,538
I wonder if the N6ii Ti housings are a little different than the N6ii. My slips out. Anyway, it's a problem for me and I don't feel like using a fastener to keep it in place. So, I will probably decide to keep it in one mode or another or sell it.

There is a black plastic stripe come with your Audio Motherboard, if the Audio Motherboard is too loose and slips out from yoru N6ii, you can tape the plastic stripe to the top of the Audio Motherboard and that should tighten up the fit.

We used to pre-installed the plastic stripe to ensure a secured installation, but a lot of users feedback that the stripe make it inconvient when they swap the Audio Motherbaord in split second for ABA comaprison, so we change our plan to include the stripe as an accessory instead of pre-applied to the Audio Motherboard . If you look at Twister's N6ii unboxing photo closely, you'll notice the preinstalled black stripe. In case you can't find the plastic stripe, you can always replicate the effect with DIY like THIS.

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #2,113 of 5,538
The C9 battery tray is in the bottom of the case, so I leave those screws out. For me, the amp module on the top has it slipping out. How do you keep it inserted?

You use your C9 without the case? I didn't use t he screw to fix the C9 battery tray either, but I use C9 in its case most of the time and with that, you really don't need the screws, but you need to take the C9 out from the case when you swap battery or power supply module.

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #2,114 of 5,538
Yeah, Tubes are secondary requirements as I have my C9. But there's something to be said about having it all in one package - hence the N8ii :)

And funny enough, I am really digging the N8ii +C9 combo, not a night and day difference, but definitely worth keeping it. More headroom, and slightly sweeter presentation with more bass reach.
I hear what you are saying. For me, the change was so minor that it wouldn't be worth purchasing for that purpose. And, in a long listening session, I wouldn't notice the difference that I would be able to detect in an A/B test, but not in practical listening. The WA8 would be the more preferable pairing because it really changes the sound quite a bit and you can do some tube rolling to fine tune it.

I do agree with Andy, though. The N8ii +C9 does more for the full sized headphone experience. The sound quality difference is much more apparent. I have always loved what the C9 did for full sized headphones. The N8ii just improves that experience with more technical chops.
I just checked your headphone list on your signature, my educated guess is that at least half of them will be benefited by adding C9 to the chain. @Tokpakorlo raise a very interesting point: headroom, the extra, reserve, ample in amplification. It is difficult to explain the technical advantage, at least I can't, but from my past experince, we'll basically ignor headphone in an ABA or blind test comparison, but when you listen to an amplifer (or a power supply upgrade to an amplfiier) that offer excellent headphone for 1-2 weeks, and then you removed the amplifier or the power supply, you'll miss the headroom.

Having said that, I do agree that if someone is primarily into IEM only and have acquired the N8ii already, buying a C9 to enhance his system is hardly justified. Spend the budget for a decent headphone amplfiier is more cost effective.

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #2,115 of 5,538
Agreed with all that you said, eventhough I have not owned those R2R DAP, but I have heard Holo spring, AudioGD for desktop systems, and they all have their own flaws to their performances.

N6ii TI is still a Delta Sigma DAC, but with discrete ladder design :wink:

once done right, sigma delta will always be superiors, and I have listened to enough systems, tinkering with enough of them, and I can confidently said that, the N8ii not only having amazing new ROHM chips, but also the amplification and LPF implementations are also top tier, worth every pennies and multiply 2X over
I couldn't understand thar part regarding Delta Sigma DAC with discrete ladder design, but that's not the point, let's not dwell on it.

I am not sure if you are referring to LPF anitliasing filter or LPF circuit whenyou mentioned the implementation of ROHM chips in N8ii. If you are referring tothe latter, I would like to point out that the LPF of original N8 probably is a better selling point (but we seldom mentioned it) because it use a pair of MUSES02 which is very expensive. The N8ii use regular (aka. high quality and cost effective) Op-Amp as LPF.

However, that doesn't mean we take a lite approach to the post-DAC circuit. We designed a 2x2 IV converter circuit between the DAC and the LPF, that's 6 regular (aka. high quality and cost effective) Op-Amp altogether in the post-DAC circuit, and will also involve a very demanding power supply implementation to keep this circuit operates in ideal condition.

Yes, we devoted a lot of resource to make sure the amplification and post-DAC circuit implementations are also top tier. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back