Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #6,916 of 8,196
Yes and Sony very seldom has 'limited' editions and jack up the price.

That actually goes in line with what I have said when someone suggested Cayin to offer several mid-tire DAPs at the same time.

They have their pattern and we have ours. They don't adopt our methods and we can't attempt what they are good at.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #6,917 of 8,196
I'll take a look in the R01 box for some tape!
No, it's not there. But the good news is that I've applied a workaround. I had some clear Gorilla tape and I cut a short strip and applied it as the base layer. I then used a longer strip and applied it over the top of the first strip. This provides a 'step' in thickness. When I slide the R01 into the N6ii, it meets one layer of the Gorilla tape (the top strip) and there is a very small amount of resistance. As I push the R01 further in it meets the 'step' of two layers of Gorilla tape. This provide a lot more resistance and the R01 eventually pushed fully in with a click. It's a nice snug fit now and there were no issues with the board being recognised.

The standard R01 Audio Motherboard package includes a black plastic strip. If you can't find it in your package, try take out everything in the Audio Motherbaord packing box, including the stuffing foam. The plastic strip might have been slip into the edge of foam and "disappeared".

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #6,918 of 8,196
Totally agree. Had a week long trial with a 3.5k R2R DAC after hearing the R01 but not even that sounded as engaging as the "humble" N6ii/R01 combo, and so it was returned.

You have rejected a 3.5K desktop R2R DAC based on the performance or our R01? I know we have done a good job, but this is beyond our expectation. We have to overcome a lot of problems due to limited space available inside the Audio Motherboard, and heat management so that the resistors can work in a low-noise environment. These problems are more manageable in desktop implementation.

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #6,919 of 8,196
You have rejected a 3.5K desktop R2R DAC based on the performance or our R01? I know we have done a good job, but this is beyond our expectation. We have to overcome a lot of problems due to limited space available inside the Audio Motherboard, and heat management so that the resistors can work in a low-noise environment. These problems are more manageable in desktop implementation.
Yep, I maintain this view. I had that particular DAC on demo for two weeks, comparing it to the Hugo 2 and to the R01, and ultimately I found the R01 more engaging and musical than the other R2R DAC (I'm not naming it out of courtesy, but I guess it's clear enough because I commented on it enough in the thread). Of course, it may well be that the tuning of this DAC just wasn't for me (perhaps too soft) but also on a technical level, it just didn't excite me in the way the R01 does. True story!

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #6,920 of 8,196
The standard R01 Audio Motherboard package includes a black plastic strip. If you can't find it in your package, try take out everything in the Audio Motherbaord packing box, including the stuffing foam. The plastic strip might have been slip into the edge of foam and "disappeared".
After an intensive search and rescue mission, I finally located it!

4Kp6at5.jpg

The box did suffer a little. :)

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #6,921 of 8,196
Yep, I maintain this view. I had that particular DAC on demo for two weeks, comparing it to the Hugo 2 and to the R01, and ultimately I found the R01 more engaging and musical than the other R2R DAC (I'm not naming it out of courtesy, but I guess it's clear enough because I commented on it enough in the thread). Of course, it may well be that the tuning of this DAC just wasn't for me (perhaps too soft) but also on a technical level, it just didn't excite me in the way the R01 does. True story!
Now, I am curious!! There is really no need for courtesy between comparisons of devices. Sound performances are subjective. So I want to know the name of that DAC! Thank you

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #6,922 of 8,196
Aug 4, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #6,923 of 8,196
Now, I am curious!! There is really no need for courtesy between comparisons of devices. Sound performances are subjective. So I want to know the name of that DAC! Thank you
No prob, it was the Sonnet Morpheus, which certainly has its followers and is by no means a bad sounding DAC. I found the R01 to have a more energetic presentation, in a sense more coherent, but most importantly with better dynamics. Something about the Morpheus felt flat to me.

On this, while I'm happy with the Hugo 2 as my desktop DAC, I'm still searching for an R2R desktop DAC that is a good counterpart to the R01 tuning. Others have mentioned Denafrips and Holo May, but I'd ideally like something to fit on a desk (which is why the Morpheus was so appealing in theory)....

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #6,926 of 8,196
I just ordered the above dd case on Ali Express for $11usd including shipping to Canada. 5 week wait, but for that price- what a deal!
expected arrival Aug 29.
Already got the notification it has shipped.
I love that this case covers the entire unit- no open top- better drop protection
My dd case arrived the other day.
Only took Ali express 10 days to get from Asia to Vancouver!! That’s a record for me. The case is a steal for about $11 including shipping! Also on Amazon for $5-6 more.
Great purchase for N6ii owners as it covers the unit on all sides, so your top edges are protected in a drop- something the stock case does not give you. Comes in navy blue.

Wish there was a case for my C-9 that covered all sides, as I have had mine slide out of the stock case a couple of times onto the floor. Great that the C-9 is such a brick!
Has anyone seen any other C-9 cases?

Attachments

• 832AF2C8-72FF-43B3-A276-E705F575E0BC.jpeg
    832AF2C8-72FF-43B3-A276-E705F575E0BC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 565BD1C4-4744-49AC-AD9A-580534D289A1.jpeg
    565BD1C4-4744-49AC-AD9A-580534D289A1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #6,928 of 8,196
@Andykong

I recently got an N6ii and I charged it to 100% and shut it down. Since then I have not been able to turn it on. I was reading through the N6ii pages. I saw that "QualComm Safe Mode" might be one of the reasons for that. I tried the method of pressing power button for 30 seconds and leave, 15 seconds and leave, press play and power button together for same duration. Nothing is working. One thing also I noticed, if I keep pressing the power on button, the bottom (where USB and I2s ports are) and side of the dap, seems to warm up.

The screen remains off pretty much through and I am wondering what else I need to do make this DAP back to working again. Those who have experienced this issue can chime in as well. Much appreciated !

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #6,929 of 8,196
R01 arrived today. Still breaking in the DAC, so I'm expecting the sound to stabilize over the next few hours. But so far, it's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. What filter setting are you guys using, slow or sharp roll-off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back