Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jul 27, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #6,886 of 8,192
I was using Cayin music almost exclusively for last 3 months- everything good. Switched a week ago to using Hiby Music again- now the unit crashes- dead, black screen, unresponsive. Have to do a hard boot, then it is okay again. Kind of disappointing, as I am an old Hiby guy ( R6 stainless and stainless R6pro). I may undo the update to use it.
I am very positive it gets fixed soon including Tidal support once @Andykong sees that feedback from several users.

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #6,888 of 8,192
I've received today my R01 (from Audio46). With zero burn-in, checked out some of the songs that I frequently listen to and I like what I'm hearing so far. It should really get better after burn-in. How many hours of burn-in should it be given?
A good 24 hours should do it. That’s about how long mine took to open up.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #6,889 of 8,192
I am very positive it gets fixed soon including Tidal support once @Andykong sees that feedback from several users.

I can't, HiBy is beyond my reach definitely, but he uninstalled the last update and get HiBy Music app back to work already, problem solved. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 29, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #6,890 of 8,192
@Andykong A suggestion for your product dept - make n6ii successor backward compatible with existing motherboards, thus establishing a truly modular "Cayin system". This way the motherboards can continue their life beyond an obsolete platform and consumers will have a peace of mind that they're making a long-term investment.
I'd rather go with Cayin using back their older proprietary OS (in N6 and N5), support USB input from iphone or android, running all the modules independently.

Android OS has hardware requirements that gets outdated incredibly fast. Cayin's excellent hardware is wasted on such fleeting software.
Let the smartphones handle the streaming job, and the Cayin player focus purely on delivering the best music experience.

DAP is a very niche market product, we can't create enough demand for semiconductor industry to take us seriously. We have to rely on the technologies and components upstream. For instance, we can't develop new purist DAP if there isn't any new MCU available for that job. We have been using different versions of Ingenic X1000 CPU in many DAPs, the limited processing power has introduced a lot of constraint to our new DAPs. Some of these constraints are acceptable back in 2016 (for examples, maximum song limit in music scan due to limited RAM in CPU) but unacceptable nowadays.

Likewise, if we insist our new DAP to be backward compatible, that means we need to stick with our current dimension/form factor, and limited our new options. For example, AKM has confirmed that AK4497 is gone forever, and AK4499 will be transformed into a dual Chipset solution. If we keep the current form factor, we won't have enough space and can kiss AKM goodbye in next generation product. The physical space limitation is going to be another problem. R2R with a better amplifier and line out? Sorry, not possible within current form factor.

I am not saying Cayin will continue the modular concept in our new mid-tier DAP line up, nothing is finalised at this stage. I just want to explain to our users that while we have tried our best to remain innovative in past few years, our hands are tied.

Last edited:

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #6,891 of 8,192
DAP is a very niche market product, we can't create enough demand for semiconductor industry to take us seriously. We have to rely on the technologies and components upstream. For instance, we can't develop new purist DAP if there isn't any new MCU available for that job. We have been using different versions of Ingenic X1000 CPU in many DAPs, the limited processing power has introduced a lot of constraint to our new DAPs. Some of these constraints are acceptable back in 2016 (for examples, maximum song limit in music scan due to limited RAM in CPU) but unacceptable nowadays.

Likewise, if we insist our new DAP to be backward compatible, that means we need to stick with our current dimension/form factor, and limited our new options. For example, AKM has confirmed that AK4497 is gone forever, and AK4499 will be transformed into a dual Chipset solution. If we keep the current form factor, we won't have enough space and can kiss AKM goodbye in next generation product. The physical space limitation is going to be another problem. R2R with a better amplifier and line out? Sorry, not possible within current form factor.

I am not saying Cayin will continue the modular concept in our new mid-tier DAP line up, nothing is finalised at this stage. I just wan to explain to our users that while we have tried our best to remain innovative in past few years, our hands are tied.

Fully understand that backward-compatibility involves making quite a few compromises and can't continue indefinitely. Perhaps an acceptable solution is to have a couple of mid-tier models in parallel - Mk3 with updated internals and another new model not bound by system constraints. Assuming there is sufficient market for both.

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #6,892 of 8,192
Fully understand that backward-compatibility involves making quite a few compromises and can't continue indefinitely. Perhaps an acceptable solution is to have a couple of mid-tier models in parallel - Mk3 with updated internals and another new model not bound by system constraints. Assuming there is sufficient market for both.

Several mid-tier modes in parallel? That is very unlikely. The production will split too thin and the overhead will become very significant, all these will jack up the price and make our DAP uncompetitive. Just consider the process to get a DAP "legitimate" on product safety, WiFi, Bluetooth license for different major markets, that involve hefty human and financial resource and we have to do that per product base. Maybe if we are in the scale of Sony, selling hundred thousands unit per product per year, we have enough room to live with internal competition. But having say that, even Sony will make sure they have decent differentiation to avoid internal competition.

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #6,894 of 8,192
The R01 is totally on a different level. Even if someone have the earlier motherboards, my recommendation is to get this one. It is that good.

Even if someone owns other DAPs (even expensive TOTL ones), get N6ii with R01. It brings a unique, top quality audio. Very analog sounding, lots of details, wide soundstage, depth, separation, timbre - it has got it all. In spades. Effortless in presenting the audio and with ease. The voice sounds natural.

I hear difference in presentation with 3.5mm & 4.4mm. The 4.4mm balanced presents the soundstage a little closer and provides an intimate presentation without losing the details, clarity & resolution. The 3.5mm felt a touch wider and not as closer as it was with 4.4mm. I first burnt-in the 3.5mm for 24 hours and listened to it. Then the same process for the 4.44mm. I love the 4.4mm presentation.

Just get N6ii + R01

Edit: 64Audio A18t with 1960 2wire cable. Was listening to 320Kbps Mp3 files (will check WAV, FLAC etc later). Even poorly recorded files sounded good.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #6,895 of 8,192
The R01 is totally on a different level. Even if someone have the earlier motherboards, my recommendation is to get this one. It is that good.

Even if someone owns other DAPs (even expensive TOTL ones), get N6ii with R01. It brings a unique, top quality audio. Very analog sounding, lots of details, wide soundstage, depth, separation, timbre - it has got it all. In spades. Effortless in presenting the audio and with ease. The voice sounds natural.

I hear difference in presentation with 3.5mm & 4.4mm. The 4.4mm balanced presents the soundstage a little closer and provides an intimate presentation without losing the details, clarity & resolution. The 3.5mm felt a touch wider and not as closer as it was with 4.4mm. I first burnt-in the 3.5mm for 24 hours and listened to it. Then the same process for the 4.44mm. I love the 4.4mm presentation.

Just get N6ii + R01

Edit: 64Audio A18t with 1960 2wire cable. Was listening to 320Kbps Mp3 files (will check WAV, FLAC etc later). Even poorly recorded files sounded good.
I can only fully agree.

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #6,896 of 8,192

Just get N6ii + R01

Totally agree. Had a week long trial with a 3.5k R2R DAC after hearing the R01 but not even that sounded as engaging as the "humble" N6ii/R01 combo, and so it was returned.

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #6,897 of 8,192
My R01 module arrived today. I had a bit of a scare as it didn't fit properly - it was so loose that it would just slide out and the N6ii wouldn't recognise it. After several attempts at fitting it (powering down each time), it was finally recognised! Phew! I noticed that it doesn't have the strip of black tape that some other modules have to ensure a tight fit. It seems as if the contacts weren't even reaching the socket inside the N6ii, or it wasn't aligning correctly. Has anyone else had this issue before? My R01 is one from the second batch.

Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye on it. During this burn-in period it's already showing its intent on being something I will get addicted to listening to! For a sound comparison, the R01 will compete with my desktop Gustard A18 DAC and Arcam rHead headphone amp - that's a fairly good-sound desktop combo.

My new Audeze LCD-X planars with a balanced cable sound mighty fine with the R01. I've set high gain and a very comfortable listening level was attained at a volume setting of 38, so there's plenty of headroom available.

This is truly end game for me with the Cayin N6ii. The N6ii is the most versatile and complete DAP that I can think of - and I have over the months been looking for a possible upgrade but couldn't find anything that could completely replace the N6ii. I have literally used almost every feature of it: digital coaxial out, USB audio out, I2S and, of course, headphone out. I've remote controlled the Cayin Music app with HiBylink. I've remote controlled UAPP running on it with mConnect. I've remote controlled UAPP on it with BubbleUPnP. I've got my large collection of music stored in it. I've streamed TIDAL and Qobuz on it. The only thing I've never used is Line Out (from the A01 module)!

Hopefully, Cayin will produce another masterpiece within the next couple of years that is as useful, versatile, superb-sounding and desirable as the N6ii. Until then, I'll be enjoying this masterpiece of audio engineering.

ibEaIzM.jpg

SGB19Vp.jpg

C454C0o.jpg

zvzdzDb.jpg

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #6,898 of 8,192

I am not saying Cayin will continue the modular concept in our new mid-tier DAP line up, nothing is finalised at this stage. I just wan to explain to our users that while we have tried our best to remain innovative in past few years, our hands are tied.
Thanks for the information as always Andy!

Now, the A02 will be something special for many years to come !!!!

Oh well, the N6ii with so many modules have already harvested it purposes. I am pretty sure if the next modular system are going out to also be supported with this many modules, then everybody would happily be upgrading it

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #6,899 of 8,192
anyone else had this issue before?
Yes I had issues getting it seated properly. Pushing it all the way in and screwing the screws fully tight it wasn't getting a good connection. But getting it seated and just not fully tightening the screws did the trick for me.

There was also a piece of the tape included in the package that I added that seemed to help a bit with the fit.

Jul 30, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #6,900 of 8,192
Yes I had issues getting it seated properly. Pushing it all the way in and screwing the screws fully tight it wasn't getting a good connection. But getting it seated and just not fully tightening the screws did the trick for me.

There was also a piece of the tape included in the package that I added that seemed to help a bit with the fit.
I'll take a look in the R01 box for some tape!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back