Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 24, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #2,116 of 5,538
I could help with that. I just need a dummy for my manufacturing partner. 😉

We didn't have a lot of dummy chassis after our first production, but they will definitely coming out unavoidably. Will get back to you very soon. Keep in touch.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 24, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #2,117 of 5,538
Darn it! I was hoping you were gonna say that wasn't the case. When @HiFiHawaii808 said it wasn't much change for IEMs that was good to hear for efficiencies, portability (and $$$ savings too), but I have a desire to use the N8ii with full cans too. Now I at least have to consider the C9, lol!

BTW, what's that blue interconnect you have there, if you don't mind?
DIY from Sommer Excelsior Blue Water XLR

I purchased a pair of 3M long XLR and make several 4.4mm cable out of it.

Sommer Excelsior Blue Water XLR.jpg

1648110683619.png

Last edited:

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #2,118 of 5,538
Definitely some battery display issues going on here, didn’t even realize but it was still showing 100% after about 5 hours of use. Reset the DAP and then it displayed 55% which is what would make more sense. :)

Getting the same problem. Its been showing 100% for the last 4 hours. Restarted and 50%.

Edit: Also not sure if its related but a few times I have had to restart to get songs playing because it fires off blanks

Attachments

• 20220324_012521.jpg
    20220324_012521.jpg
    770 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #2,119 of 5,538
R2R has it pros and cons, but theoretically speaking, sigma delta is superior. But that is the topic for another thread. Once both is done right, I would always go for Sigma Delta as a primary choice
I'm exactly the opposite. Sigma Delta measures better, R2R sounds better, to me anyway. Keenly awaiting Cayin (or HiBy's) flagship R2R DAP.

We always enjoy open end (or never ending?) discussion in audio hobby. When I was young (aka, 20 years ago), I used to debate with everyone regarding Solid State vs Vacuum Tube in amplifier, I was the top defender on Solid State camp, if my friends know that I become the brand rep. of one of the largest tube amplifier manufacturers, I think they'll all LOL.

So please learn from my story, take it easy, you don't know what you are going to hear next year. :ksc75smile:

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #2,120 of 5,538
Really the only thing I have been left wishing for is an analog pot on N8ii or at least a more resistive volume wheel... but I am nitpicking :p

Well, N8ii uses JRC NJW1195A for volume control, you can find the same volume controller in Esoteric N05XD.

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #2,121 of 5,538

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #2,122 of 5,538
Well, N8ii uses JRC NJW1195A for volume control, you can find the same volume controller in Esoteric N05XD.
No doubt that the volume control is great sonically speaking, just the mechanical part of the volume wheel is not resistive enough to my taste is all I am saying.
It's the only thing I would change really.

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #2,124 of 5,538
You use your C9 without the case? I didn't use t he screw to fix the C9 battery tray either, but I use C9 in its case most of the time and with that, you really don't need the screws, but you need to take the C9 out from the case when you swap battery or power supply module.
I use the case and leave the screws out. This makes it very easy to change battery tray and the tray stays secure when the case in on the C9

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #2,127 of 5,538
I couldn't understand thar part regarding Delta Sigma DAC with discrete ladder design, but that's not the point, let's not dwell on it.

I am not sure if you are referring to LPF anitliasing filter or LPF circuit whenyou mentioned the implementation of ROHM chips in N8ii. If you are referring tothe latter, I would like to point out that the LPF of original N8 probably is a better selling point (but we seldom mentioned it) because it use a pair of MUSES02 which is very expensive. The N8ii use regular (aka. high quality and cost effective) Op-Amp as LPF.

However, that doesn't mean we take a lite approach to the post-DAC circuit. We designed a 2x2 IV converter circuit between the DAC and the LPF, that's 6 regular (aka. high quality and cost effective) Op-Amp altogether in the post-DAC circuit, and will also involve a very demanding power supply implementation to keep this circuit operates in ideal condition.

Yes, we devoted a lot of resource to make sure the amplification and post-DAC circuit implementations are also top tier. :beerchug:
you are correct, I should have said that N6ii Ti is still Oversampling topology, and not NOS.

I do think that the Antialiasing on Rohm is great, but the Active LPF from Cayin is awesome on the N8ii. Thank you for the more details on it.

Yes, I do hear excellent results from the N8ii, and I am glad we have it to enjoy. I do have question, how does the gain functions featured on the N8ii ?

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #2,128 of 5,538
you are correct, I should have said that N6ii Ti is still Oversampling topology, and not NOS.

I do think that the Antialiasing on Rohm is great, but the Active LPF from Cayin is awesome on the N8ii. Thank you for the more details on it.

Yes, I do hear excellent results from the N8ii, and I am glad we have it to enjoy. I do have question, how does the gain functions featured on the N8ii ?
is there anywhere you want to mod?

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #2,130 of 5,538
Getting the same problem. Its been showing 100% for the last 4 hours. Restarted and 50%.

Edit: Also not sure if its related but a few times I have had to restart to get songs playing because it fires off blanks
Yes, I encountered it a few times too, didn’t worry much. Only one time the Korg tubes refused to turn of, regardless of what I do, plugged in, unplugging, pause, play...until I restarted it. I wasn’t able to replicate it again. I do realize that on big bass track like pomplamoose recording my Lower Korg tube toward the phone out is flickering with the bass beats during the night listening and looking into it, the top one doesn’t flick that noticeably.....does anyone else have that similar observation ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back