The Audio Lounge
Oct 23, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #4,396 of 36,093
There is a more basic difference in the way Balanced Armatures and dynamic drivers produce sound which impacts bad reproduction. A dynamic driver works like a miniature speaker cone, so vibrates the diaphragm back and forward in the enclosure. A BA is basically like a small metal tuning fork that vibrates between two magnetic fields.

The basic difference (apologies if you already know this, but thought it would be best to start the obvious) is that due to the mechanics of the dynamic driver, it physically moves more air in and out of the enclosure as it moves the c. 10mm round speaker cone back and forth. This usually relays into a more "physical" sensation of impact and slam, like you would get standing in front of a club or concert PA system.

BA drivers reproduce the same frequencies, but with less air movement due to the differing mechanics, so are more usually associated with texture and rumble.
I was talking about that! It's a thing that you can't know without trying the iems or a good ba can't anyway transmits that feeling?

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #4,397 of 36,093
I was talking about that! It's a thing that you can't know without trying the iems or a good ba can't anyway transmits that feeling?

From my recent experience with a few multi BA models (EE Athena and Zeus-XR, 64 Audio U8 and Campfire Andromeda), while IEMs like the U8 are basshead quality, they still don't quite produce the serve of physical impact I get when listening to the Campfire Vega or my old Aurisonics ASG 2.5s . It isn't better or worse, just different, and the U8 in particular produces some exceptional bass for an all BA model.

As always, wherever possible try before you buy!

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #4,398 of 36,093
Really can't do it.
AH! better to tell you: the best In ear I ever used was a 50€ pair, can't remember which one was but imo was awesome.
Never tried a ba iem, do you think it wil could match my expectation asd.

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #4,400 of 36,093
P1010734.JPG

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #4,401 of 36,093
From my recent experience with a few multi BA models (EE Athena and Zeus-XR, 64 Audio U8 and Campfire Andromeda), while IEMs like the U8 are basshead quality, they still don't quite produce the serve of physical impact I get when listening to the Campfire Vega or my old Aurisonics ASG 2.5s . It isn't better or worse, just different, and the U8 in particular produces some exceptional bass for an all BA model.

As always, wherever possible try before you buy!
Thank god BA's don't do that. I listened to Vega, do not like my head feeling like it's on a roller coaster. No thanks.

I really do like a lot of BA's so far. There is one dynamic driver iem I really like Sony MDR EX1000

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #4,402 of 36,093
Thank god BA's don't do that. I listened to Vega, do not like my head feeling like it's on a roller coaster. No thanks.

I really do like a lot of BA's so far. There is one dynamic driver iem I really like Sony MDR EX1000

Personally, listening to BA's from the U8 made me notice how much DD's were painful to listen to now... :wink:

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #4,403 of 36,093
The original Flare Audio IEMs use a special pressure balanced 5.5mm full range dynamic driver. It has bass, but less impact than other dynamics. They are easy to listen to. Haven't heard the new beryllium Flares. Think they use the same concept.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #4,406 of 36,093
Amazing song, Marty Ray has an awesome voice:

I haven't listened yet so I don't know about his voice, but what he certainly *does* have is an awesome beard :D
He would make an amazing Brian Blessed double. Or Father Christmas. Or Brian Blessed playing Father Christmas :p

NB: For those who have no idea who Brian Blessed (boomy-voiced English actor) is, the first minute of the following Blackadder episode should provide sufficient education :)

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #4,407 of 36,093
I like to have impact in my bass; it's why I tend to prefer dynamic driver bass to BA bass. Generally, the BA IEMs I've had all have quicker bass, but to me, it's not totally right without an adequate amount of impact. But I tend to accept trading off speed and texture for impact. Others may not go the same route.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #4,408 of 36,093
I'm noticing the same thing in my preferences that Midgetguy just mentioned. I love the speed and articulation of BA drivers, but I have yet to hear a BA only IEM that has the bass impact I want/need. As I try more planar driver headphones I'm starting to feel that same way. I believe that the physics of a DD moving lots of air for bass frequencies may be part of my preferred sound sig.

Oct 24, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #4,409 of 36,093
I like to have impact in my bass; it's why I tend to prefer dynamic driver bass to BA bass. Generally, the BA IEMs I've had all have quicker bass, but to me, it's not totally right without an adequate amount of impact. But I tend to accept trading off speed and texture for impact. Others may not go the same route.

I'm noticing the same thing in my preferences that Midgetguy just mentioned. I love the speed and articulation of BA drivers, but I have yet to hear a BA only IEM that has the bass impact I want/need. As I try more planar driver headphones I'm starting to feel that same way. I believe that the physics of a DD moving lots of air for bass frequencies may be part of my preferred sound sig.

You guys might want to watch this video, it's interesting. It's about bass in the different types of IEMs by @Hawaiibadboy :

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back