The Audio Lounge
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #3,676 of 36,089
I abandoned reading about RAIDs some time ago, life wanted otherwise - it seems though that I will have to start with it (among other stuff) all over again...

There are different solutions for RAIDs with further levels of "redundancy", or "failsafety", so to speak, from what I remember... what you are telling in essence is that you have found
the separate drives to be the better cost/purpose solution ?

I wish actually SSDs would go down in price faster than they do, even though I would imagine they have their own issues.
Yes and no on my use of externals. The company I work for makes drives so I literally have a dozen I got free. Don't want to derail the thread but SSD will come down soon and commercially 2 tb ssd will be affordable. I have 2pb logically in a 3u enclosure at work. It rocks.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #3,677 of 36,089
i was transferring some files to my phone when i heard something strange coming from it but it was only a quick second or two. went out to have a smoke while some files were loading and when I came back to transfer some more, it wasn't showing the drive anymore. tried resetting and rebooting my comp but nothing worked.

I've had boards go out in the external enclosure itself. Have you tried the hard drive in another enclosure?

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #3,679 of 36,089
There used to be the old trick of putting the hard drive in a freezer. No idea if it works. Never had to try.

Friend used to do backups for city governments. Says if all backups are at the same location, you don't have a backup.
Hope you get it working. My photo computer has 3 external hard drives ( only 2 plugged in at a time). Plus a 4th that I swap with a friend. Same for the music computer and those 4 hard drives.
Good luck.

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,680 of 36,089
We lost a bunch of pics once now all pertinent pictures are saved to 2 different solid states!

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #3,683 of 36,089
I abandoned reading about RAIDs some time ago, life wanted otherwise - it seems though that I will have to start with it (among other stuff) all over again...

There are different solutions for RAIDs with further levels of "redundancy", or "failsafety", so to speak, from what I remember... what you are telling in essence is that you have found
the separate drives to be the better cost/purpose solution ?

I wish actually SSDs would go down in price faster than they do, even though I would imagine they have their own issues.
The thing with HDD vs SSD when it comes to failures is that a lot of the time, there's hope for a brief revival by some fashion with and HDD, long enough for you to get all the data off onto something working. When an SSD goes out, you're boned; nothing you can do about it.

Yes and no on my use of externals. The company I work for makes drives so I literally have a dozen I got free. Don't want to derail the thread but SSD will come down soon and commercially 2 tb ssd will be affordable. I have 2pb logically in a 3u enclosure at work. It rocks.
You have 2PB somewhere (even if not at home)??? That sounds so glorious, and at the same time, I have no idea what I could possibly do with all that :D

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #3,684 of 36,089
Just switched back to zs5 from ES3.

ZS5 really has amazing Soundstage for the price. The first thing I noticed is the stereo effects are wider and the Soundstage is taller.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,685 of 36,089
yeah man, the music can be replaced. just takes time. But the pics, vids, memories are what is hurting

yeah, i was transferring some files to my phone when i heard something strange coming from it but it was only a quick second or two. went out to have a smoke while some files were loading and when I came back to transfer some more, it wasn't showing the drive anymore. tried resetting and rebooting my comp but nothing worked.

There are some places that say they can recover data from defective hard drives. Never had to use one, but if you've lost a lot of good memories, might be worth it ? For example : https://www.securedatarecovery.com/services/hard-drive-recovery.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #3,686 of 36,089
The thing with HDD vs SSD when it comes to failures is that a lot of the time, there's hope for a brief revival by some fashion with and HDD, long enough for you to get all the data off onto something working. When an SSD goes out, you're boned; nothing you can do about it.

You have 2PB somewhere (even if not at home)??? That sounds so glorious, and at the same time, I have no idea what I could possibly do with all that :D
In simple word Production Oracle databases, Windows CIFS and avariety of other production Databases. It's Tier 1 storage all SSD. It's a brave new world out there with lots of options in the storage world. We do not use Spindle drives in any of our production hardware, development systems is still the same old thing.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,687 of 36,089
Sep 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,688 of 36,089
Seriously guys, you spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on audio gear, but buy USB drives with no backup? Do yourself a favor and get a Synology NAS. :wink: The investment is worth it. Get a 4 bay, fill it with 4 3TB hard drives. Set up notifications so whenever a disk dies, you replace it. :p

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,689 of 36,089
Seriously guys, you spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on audio gear, but buy USB drives with no backup? Do yourself a favor and get a Synology NAS. :wink: The investment is worth it. Get a 4 bay, fill it with 4 3TB hard drives. Set up notifications so whenever a disk dies, you replace it. :p
I have a synology NAS - two actually because I upgraded. I've had a power supply go bad (replaced free of charge by Synology) and a catastrophic disk failure. I didn't lose a single byte of data in either case. I would definitely recommend them.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3,690 of 36,089
One day, I will totally be doing this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back