The Audio Lounge
Sep 23, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #3,706 of 36,068
There are some places that say they can recover data from defective hard drives.

They're not cheap, but they're effective. I've seen them recover 80% of the data from a drive that had literally melted in a fire. You figure, as long as theres no magnets around, it doesn't matter what shape the metal is in, the 0s and 1s are still there.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #3,707 of 36,068
As a sysadmin with 20 years in the industry, I can confirm it works about 15-20% of the time. It all depends on why the HDD died in the first place. Freezing the drive will work best with bearing/bushing failures and occasionally with physical head crashes. The idea is that the tolerances inside of the drive are small enough that freezing the drive shrinks the metal enough to get it to spin freely for a while.

15-20% is on par with my experience too. Sometimes I was able to freeze it once and get back a few key files, another time froze it 12 times before getting the entire drive.

One of my friends once made a recovery cooler. Drilled holes in the side for the cables, kept it on ice for 2 hours before it failed again. :wink: Fun experience.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #3,708 of 36,068
So, I got my YH-3s in the mail today.

I'll just say that my first experience hearing planar drivers was, eye opening.

This sounds ridiculous and I don't expect people to agree, but the sound actually *feels* different on. Like the compression and vibrations have a different sensation on the ears.

I like it... I like it a lot.

I think I need to stop buying chi-fi and save up some dough for a pair of the new planars that are out there.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,709 of 36,068
So, I got my YH-3s in the mail today.

I'll just say that my first experience hearing planar drivers was, eye opening.

This sounds ridiculous and I don't expect people to agree, but the sound actually *feels* different on. Like the compression and vibrations have a different sensation on the ears.

I like it... I like it a lot.

I think I need to stop buying chi-fi and save up some dough for a pair of the new planars that are out there.

Yeah, I was really impressed with the HP-1 I managed to snag. Had someone at work listen to it, his impression was that the sound sounded "old"... My thought was more aligned with yours, like the sound had a presence and energy which most audio gear doesn't represent... It felt different. Bass response is also insane, voices sound lifelike...

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3,710 of 36,068
Yeah, I was really impressed with the HP-1 I managed to snag. Had someone at work listen to it, his impression was that the sound sounded "old"... My thought was more aligned with yours, like the sound had a presence and energy which most audio gear doesn't represent... It felt different. Bass response is also insane, voices sound lifelike...
After getting the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 electret/dynamic hybrid headphones, I rarely listen to any other headphones (excepting the less expensive M&J GL2SE). Panels just sound effortless. The high frequencies don't have all the cone break up problems. Sibalance is dealt with so easily it is never a distraction. Panels soar in the high frequencies ( stats go on up further).

Going to my first Head-Fi meet this year I was worried about listening to such expensive headphone set ups. Not saying my PonoPlayer/balanced M&J beat the Sennheiser HD800 or the Focal Utopia, but it did some things better than these 8K systems. Was hoping the beryllium Utopias would extend the high frequency cone problems beyond audibility. Nope. Very easy to hear the band they have trouble with. The two headphones that didn't have this problem were the Koss ESP950 (with modified Stax amp) and the $4K Hifiman planars. Both lovely. Doubt I would ever spend $4K on headphones but those Koss were do able.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #3,711 of 36,068
After getting the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 electret/dynamic hybrid headphones, I rarely listen to any other headphones (excepting the less expensive M&J GL2SE). Panels just sound effortless. The high frequencies don't have all the cone break up problems. Sibalance is dealt with so easily it is never a distraction. Panels soar in the high frequencies ( stats go on up further).

Going to my first Head-Fi meet this year I was worried about listening to such expensive headphone set ups. Not saying my PonoPlayer/balanced M&J beat the Sennheiser HD800 or the Focal Utopia, but it did some things better than these 8K systems. Was hoping the beryllium Utopias would extend the high frequency cone problems beyond audibility. Nope. Very easy to hear the band they have trouble with. The two headphones that didn't have this problem were the Koss ESP950 (with modified Stax amp) and the $4K Hifiman planars. Both lovely. Doubt I would ever spend $4K on headphones but those Koss were do able.
I liked the Elear better than the Utopia and HD800. And considering that, I'd rather have the HD600 for 1/3 the cost of an Elear; they have a lot of similarities and IMO, the HD600 does like 85-90% of what the Elear can do. Would rather spend the extra on something that does what the Elear can't do......which I did :p. In my room, the HD600 and TH-X00 are running mates.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,712 of 36,068
Got to warm my flowerpot up as I am expecting and new set of binoculars and the TFZ King IEM tomorrow. Hopefully the remnants of Jose are gone so it'll be dry. Been trying to observe for the last few nights and all we have are clouds and rain. At least my I can still listen to music on these cloudy nights...

Hopefully the IEM's arrive first!
On the plus side, if they don't at least you can use your new binoculars to keep an eye out for the TFZ's :wink:

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #3,714 of 36,068
Hopefully the IEM's arrive first!
On the plus side, if they don't at least you can use your new binoculars to keep an eye out for the TFZ's :wink:

Nope, just got a notification that they are delayed until Monday. Oh well, they're actually a present for my wife and I have been rocking out with my Cypher Labs C6IEM today. Just a great sounding piece. Hopefully some stars will shine tonight, Binos are new and promise some nice wide field views...

She's making a beer run to Bissell Bros. in Portland for me to grab some Substance. Great set-up to the night: Great Maine craft beer, awesome tunes and the wonders of the night sky. It could be a lot worse.
Cheers.

Sep 23, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,717 of 36,068
I wonder if planar IEMs have this kind of sound response or if it's not the same.

Since I know you like bass from back in the Trinity thread, and I now know you're liking the sound of planars, you should really get ahold of some Monoprice Monolith M1060's. Worth every penny imo. As for planar IEMs, I can't answer that question yet, the Monolith M300's don't go up for $150 until the beginning of October, and I haven't heard the Audeze iSINEs.

Sep 23, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #3,718 of 36,068
I recently have been wondering of the merits of the planar IEM. I have come close to trying them but backed away at the last minute. Anyone have good words to say about them? Audeze is the only one I have heard any decent reviews about. Like to know if they're worth the effort...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #3,719 of 36,068
Since I know you like bass from back in the Trinity thread, and I now know you're liking the sound of planars, you should really get ahold of some Monoprice Monolith M1060's. Worth every penny imo. As for planar IEMs, I can't answer that question yet, the Monolith M300's don't go up for $150 until the beginning of October, and I haven't heard the Audeze iSINEs.

Thank you! Those are much more affordable too!

Sep 23, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,720 of 36,068
Never heard planar IEMs. Think a lot of planar sound comes from the much lighter driver being driven more evenly over the whole driver surface. That should apply no matter what size the unit is. Planar home speakers sound similar to planar headphones. The only question is the bass. Panels have less excursion capability. This is solved with much larger panels or making a hybrid. Unfortunately IEMs don't leave much room for larger panels. Imagine the sound will be like other planars from the mids on up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back