The Audio Lounge
Sep 24, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #3,721 of 36,068
Probably the day after a catastrophic disk failure lol :p
It's usually the way :D
Nope, chances are if/when that happens, I'm still gonna be too lazy to do anything about it :p

I recently have been wondering of the merits of the planar IEM. I have come close to trying them but backed away at the last minute. Anyone have good words to say about them? Audeze is the only one I have heard any decent reviews about. Like to know if they're worth the effort...
I wasn't aware of any planar IEMs besides the Audezes. Not until those Monoprice M300s release later. oBravo does them too, but I dunno how much I wanna count that cuz it's a hybrid design utilizing a planar tweeter. And sometime near the reveal of the M300s in the value bracket is one a step above the Audezes in the form of the Unique Melody ME.1, which also seems very interesting.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #3,722 of 36,068
Nope, chances are if/when that happens, I'm still gonna be too lazy to do anything about it :p

I wasn't aware of any planar IEMs besides the Audezes. Not until those Monoprice M300s release later. oBravo does them too, but I dunno how much I wanna count that cuz it's a hybrid design utilizing a planar tweeter. And sometime near the reveal of the M300s in the value bracket is one a step above the Audezes in the form of the Unique Melody ME.1, which also seems very interesting.
Yamaha made IEM planars (they called them orthos) many years ago. Thinking late 70's early 80's. There was a headband contraption to hold them in place. Never ran across any to audition. Would love to hear them and the oBravo.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #3,723 of 36,068
My order of Symbio Wide Bore ear tips arrived today. Gonna try them out on my Icarus III's here in a few.

Mine arrived too! Hopefully will test them today :)

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3,724 of 36,068
Been listening to the X3iii and Cypher Labs C6 this weekend. Really good pairing. Bass nice and deep and mids and highs very clear. Using a double flange tip and allows a good spacing to give some good air. Going through some old Ray LaMontagne, Rush and Yes for playlists. Just impressed with this piece. Been a while since I had this one out in my rotation. Using Norne Audio's silver Therium cable and very comfortable and keeps the upper end from being too dark. Great listening sessions.

Just thought I'd share from this beautiful Sunday afternoon in the North Shore of Boston.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #3,725 of 36,068
upload_2017-9-24_16-38-9.png

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,726 of 36,068
Mine arrived too! Hopefully will test them today :)

I tested my Symbio Wide Bores on several IEMs, even tried them on some of a friend of mine's IEM's. I had to keep trying them because I couldn't believe how good they actually were. They allow all of the mids and highs through due to the wide bore, but they seal the best out of any tip I've tried and bring great low end even to IEMs that were lacking. I had recently bought some FiiO F1's and wasn't a fan due to no real low end. The Symbios changed my whole opinion on the F1. The lows they were able to achieve were phenomenal. Now, with the FiiO F1's and the Symbio tips together, I finally have a replacement to my beloved cheapo Sony's that died trying to be ice cubes in my lemonade, lol. With the Icarus III/Symbio combo, I was forced to EQ some of the Bass out, there was so much air pressure moving that I felt it tickling my ear drum. (Definitely not good for you @Karendar, with your Tinnitus). The foam inside these tips take a minute to warm up, but as they sit in your ear they "melt" into the shape of your ear canal giving a great seal without any pressure to cause any inner ear pain. Totally worth the wait for them to arrive from Hungary, and I'm going to place another order to have more on hand. For anyone interested in buying some, they are a bit on the big side, so order one size smaller than you would on most tips.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #3,728 of 36,068
The C6 I have is a V1 but with the silver cable, the highs really open up. I like it because it still has that really warm/dark signature but now has good resolving details. I know some aren't true cable believers but I gotta say that this really works here. This is a keeper for me.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #3,729 of 36,068
The C6 I have is a V1 but with the silver cable, the highs really open up. I like it because it still has that really warm/dark signature but now has good resolving details. I know some aren't true cable believers but I gotta say that this really works here. This is a keeper for me.
It's perfectly fine to believe in difference in audio cables. It's understandable as it's really difficult for people to do abx testing and very fatiguing

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wan...e-setup-questions.852470/page-2#post-13663169
take a look at that post. They have A/B Switcher and performed a controlled blind test. Even noticed the amp is not volume matched, and so hence reduces the volume on all components and then performs a test.
Finds it difficult to even tell difference between equipment.

People in general do not like doing math and actual testing. for me IMO I would only trust calculations made by people who do heavy effort to do actual blind tests like this, for my decisions on equipment. They don't really need an electrical engineering degree to do this lol.
Good evidence is fatigue from using AB switcher (foobar, etc). Using a lot of mental focus on discerning differences. Not paying attention to marketing, or what he or she said, or what the box of product claims.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #3,730 of 36,068
This is one of those topics that I resist talking about because it can be so polarizing. Sorry to bring it up and start some fires.

So don't get me wrong when I say that I believe the cable has changed the signature. I'm not trying to snub anyone's empirical evidence. I did extensive listening to the IEM prior to getting new cable (8 months worth). I realized that the upper end of the IEM was dark. After some research, I decided that a sliver cable might be enough to change the signature slightly. I perceive that change as real. I know, there are many who go to great lengths to say that the evidence is contrary. But from the seat of my pants, I'm buying into the change. So at the end of the day, if the money I spent and my perception is positive, who cares?

I'm happy and that is what counts. You don't have to agree with me but I ask that you respect my choices.

https://www.head-fi.org/watched/threads

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #3,731 of 36,068
This is one of those topics that I resist talking about because it can be so polarizing. Sorry to bring it up and start some fires.

So don't get me wrong when I say that I believe the cable has changed the signature. I'm not trying to snub anyone's empirical evidence. I did extensive listening to the IEM prior to getting new cable (8 months worth). I realized that the upper end of the IEM was dark. After some research, I decided that a sliver cable might be enough to change the signature slightly. I perceive that change as real. I know, there are many who go to great lengths to say that the evidence is contrary. But from the seat of my pants, I'm buying into the change. So at the end of the day, if the money I spent and my perception is positive, who cares?

I'm happy and that is what counts. You don't have to agree with me but I ask that you respect my choices.
nah no worries. It's all good though.

As I mentioned in my post, in case if it wasn't seen
Screenshot_260.png

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #3,732 of 36,068
My order of Symbio Wide Bore ear tips arrived today. Gonna try them out on my Icarus III's here in a few.

I tested my Symbio Wide Bores on several IEMs, even tried them on some of a friend of mine's IEM's. I had to keep trying them because I couldn't believe how good they actually were. They allow all of the mids and highs through due to the wide bore, but they seal the best out of any tip I've tried and bring great low end even to IEMs that were lacking. I had recently bought some FiiO F1's and wasn't a fan due to no real low end. The Symbios changed my whole opinion on the F1. The lows they were able to achieve were phenomenal. Now, with the FiiO F1's and the Symbio tips together, I finally have a replacement to my beloved cheapo Sony's that died trying to be ice cubes in my lemonade, lol. With the Icarus III/Symbio combo, I was forced to EQ some of the Bass out, there was so much air pressure moving that I felt it tickling my ear drum. (Definitely not good for you @Karendar, with your Tinnitus). The foam inside these tips take a minute to warm up, but as they sit in your ear they "melt" into the shape of your ear canal giving a great seal without any pressure to cause any inner ear pain. Totally worth the wait for them to arrive from Hungary, and I'm going to place another order to have more on hand. For anyone interested in buying some, they are a bit on the big side, so order one size smaller than you would on most tips.

Good day OldDude04. Sounds like you had a great weekend. I was wondering if you have used the JVC Spiral Dots in the past, and if so, how would the Symbio compare to the Spiral Dots? I JUST started using the Spiral dots about 2 months ago. I feel like I really benefited from the wider bore of the JVCSD. Prior to that, I was using the Trinity silicone, then moved to the Trinity Kombi Tips. I really liked the foam/silicone of the Kombi tips... However, I think the smaller nozzle was constricting. I'm absolutely LOVING the JVCSD. Using those on all my Trinity iem at the moment. Hunter, Icky3, Delta2. Need to change to JVCSD on my DeltaV1.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #3,734 of 36,068
Good day OldDude04. Sounds like you had a great weekend. I was wondering if you have used the JVC Spiral Dots in the past, and if so, how would the Symbio compare to the Spiral Dots? I JUST started using the Spiral dots about 2 months ago. I feel like I really benefited from the wider bore of the JVCSD. Prior to that, I was using the Trinity silicone, then moved to the Trinity Kombi Tips. I really liked the foam/silicone of the Kombi tips... However, I think the smaller nozzle was constricting. I'm absolutely LOVING the JVCSD. Using those on all my Trinity iem at the moment. Hunter, Icky3, Delta2. Need to change to JVCSD on my DeltaV1.

Good day to you as well HF. I did indeed enjoy the weekend trying out the Symbios. I have used the Trinity silicone and Kombi tips, but unfortunately, I haven't yet tried the Spiral Dots. I don't think I will either, and here are my thoughts on why. The Symbios give me the wide bore as the JVC would, but its the temperature reactive foam inside the Symbio that changes the game for me. They are like having custom made ear tips that you do not ever need to have refit. Every time you place them in your ears, they heat up and form to your canal. The siicone itself is high quality, soft and comfortable. And being able to have a great seal without pressuring the ear canal and causing soreness is wonderful. I'm a basshead at heart and being able to extract all the good low notes out of previously lacking IEMs is a fortunate byproduct of them that guarantees I'll be using them for a long time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back