The Audio Lounge
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,376 of 36,019
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3,377 of 36,019
Sometimes I think my hearing impairment is a little bit of a blessing, because I know it doesn't make sense to buy high end stuff.
Keeps my wallet a little less on fire. :wink:

I think about to buy the kz zs6: $45,50 pre-order price @gearbest
The finish of the Aluminum alloy metal shell looks nice: https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_770867.html?wid=21
Maybe an sound improvement to the zs5.

Nice, shows that smart and genius are not that far apart after all:thinking:

Yeah, I do fun @Richsvt :thumbsup: (Warning, some members may be way too young for this):open_mouth:

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,378 of 36,019
@guisess93 Hi. Not sure that I'm the best person to help you with this question, but I'll give you my point of view and indicate where I differ.

I chose the N3 for a number of reasons. The N3 was 50 dollars cheaper than the M2s, and the N3 does not have a glass screen protector available. Meaning that if I bought the M2s, it would have cost me 50 more for the unit and 20 more for the glass. So I saved 70 dollars there. Also. I was part of the N3 tour review and I KNEW that the N3 would attach to my RSA Intruder amp. I could speculate that it would attach to the M2s, but I couldn't confirm. I would use either unit as a digital transport, so I can't really comment much on the sound from the headphone port.

If you plan to use the N3 with Digital USB out at a later time, then it is a good option. I have tested and confirmed it can be used with the RSA Intruder DAC/AMP, RSA Predator DAC/AMP, Peachtree Audio Decco 65 DAC/AMP. But it WILL NOT communicate with the Unison Research SH dac/amp. That is all I have tested. I have read that the M2s is good for USB Digital out as well. I know it will attach to the Mojo. But cannot comment much further.

If you plan to use the N3 with line out, i would NOT SUGGEST THIS unit for that function. Because the N3 uses the 3.5mm output for both headphones and line out, the N3 is designed to revert back to headphone out settings every time it is powered off or it times out. So if you plan to stack this with an amp at any point, the resetting of line out every time you play it is a major PITA and I would not ever buy for this function. I cannot speak to the Line out of the M2s.

That is really where my help ends.
1. I don't use playlists with my FLAC DAPs. I use folder play.
2. Both the N3 and M2s are under 300. I think the M3s is slightly more than 300, but you have dual DACs in that one. The M3s may not be a bad choice with your harmony 8.2.
3. DAC chip in N3 and M2s are exactly the same (I believe).
4. From both threads, I do not see anyone complaining about the UI. Some prefer the wheel over the capacitive buttons. But I haven't heard any bugs/glitches/issues.

Final thoughts. From my long thread that you quoted, I was proposing that people may want to look at amps that they like and get Digital Audio Players to use as transport. Then just match functionality you like and pair with the amp you like. I am a huge fan of Ray Samuels Audio and his sound. That is why I have a $700 amp and I connect a $150 DAP to it. I'm not sure where you are from, but if you are in Europe, I also liked the sound of the Meier amps. The Corda PCStep is a nice sounding amp and has USB in (for 16 bit 32, 44 48 KHz according to website) and you may be able to find a used one that fits your needs. Hope this helped.
Can never thank you enough for your very detailed reply. TBH, I don't have enough knowledge to fully understand everything you said, at least not yet :frowning2:

I suppose "line out" is something related to connecting the DAP to an amp. So, no I don't intend to connect my DAP with any amp. I intend to use the DAP on-the-go obviously, and as an external DAC at home, so if I have an amp at home and not when I'm travelling, then I will have 2 different sounds and I don't really like that.

1. Is "folder play" something like, you copy the whole folder into the sd card, then have the whole folder played? If it is so then it's actually what I've been doing with my Sansa's rockbox.
2. Yes I'm eagerly waiting for M3S. How is dual better than single DAC btw?
3. Yes they are AK 4490EN

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #3,379 of 36,019
Don't get me wrong, I think I'm as much of a gear-head as anyone. Who doesn't like a new toy to play with? I just don't think that the gear and files are the be-all of the hobby. For some it is and that is fine for them.

Music is where it's at for me. Can we get better stuff that makes the music sound better? Absolutely. Should it drive us insane if we can't tickle out the exact soundstage and instrument placement and if we can hear the violinist breathing between bow movements? That's up to you.

There needs to be a synergy between what we can hear and how it is delivered to us. Most importantly, we should be having fun with this, right?

Drops DAP and walks away...(damn that was a good DAP, why'd I'd drop it?)
I still know this is bad of me. But Im still laughing at the thought of someone doing this.

:sweat_smile:

*puts salesman hat on :tophat:
So this dap is $449.
But this dap at $1,200. They are close but you gotta get this guys! There is increased instrument seperation! The violin is pickable pickly pickably easily pickable apart!!!

Wow it's so much better and highly recommend this purchase!! You should buy now or else you won't be able to enjoy your music without this wholesome and nutritious seperation. Oh my god!!! You are missing out on this soundstage!!!!
Buy now and this soundstage is free!!! We will throw in your ability pick guitars as well at no cost!!
*throws salesman hat in the oven

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #3,380 of 36,019
I still know this is bad of me. But Im still laughing at the thought of someone doing this.
*puts salesman hat on
So this dap is $449.

But this dap at $1,200. They are close but you gotta get this guys! There is increased instrument seperation! The violin is pickable pickly pickably easily pickable apart!!! Wow it's so much better and highly recommend this purchase!! You should now or else you won't be able to enjoy your without this wholesome and nutritious seperation. Oh my god!!! You are missing out on this soundstage!!!!

*throws salesman hat in the oven

*evil laugh* time to burn some money :D

I'm stumbled upon these guys, the singer reminds a little bit of WASP.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #3,382 of 36,019
*evil laugh* time to burn some money :D

I'm stumbled upon these guys, the singer reminds a little bit of WASP.

That guy does have a dash of Blackie Lawless about him, I must admit.

For anyone in a slightly less metal mood, here a rock band worth checking out. The singer is quite possibly the most entertaining live performer I've ever seen...

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #3,383 of 36,019
I see all of this talk about bit rates and FLAC and such and just don't get it.

Almost all of my music is uploaded to Google Play at this point, so I end up streaming nearly everything I listen to at Google's highest rate. Unless I'm doing extra critical listening in a silent space, I don't see the need for much more than that. I've got a nice turntable and speaker setup at home for Sunday afternoon listening, but even then 9 times out of 10 I'll just fire up the Heos speakers I have around the house with a playlist or Pandora.

Yes, I want things that sound good and adore the magic of hearing something new in a song you've listened to thousands of times prior, but there has to be a point where you say, is this useful in any practical way, or will I use it once and forget about it.

I'll surrender my audiophile card now I guess.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #3,384 of 36,019

Almost all of my music is uploaded to Google Play at this point, so I end up streaming nearly everything I listen to at Google's highest rate. Unless I'm doing extra critical listening in a silent space, I don't see the need for much more than that. I've got a nice turntable and speaker setup at home for Sunday afternoon listening, but even then 9 times out of 10 I'll just fire up the Heos speakers I have around the house with a playlist or Pandora.

Yes, I want things that sound good and adore the magic of hearing something new in a song you've listened to thousands of times prior, but there has to be a point where you say, is this useful in any practical way, or will I use it once and forget about it.

Well like me and brooko mentioned. Most of that stuff does not matter under normal conditions. Some of the extremely high b bitrates are outside of normal human hearing or require large amounts of humanpower and energy and patience to discern such differences in an extremely quiet noise floor.

16/44 should be good enough for normal playback. 24 bit for recording and professional studio use for tracks etc. Then send it to 16 bit and done.

Like I mentioned a large portion of audio industry relies on profitting off of placebo and audiophools.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3,385 of 36,019

It's good to be able to do the analytical stuff when needed, but most of the time, I'd agree to just do what makes enjoying your music the easiest. In your case, streaming it all from Google Play is convenient and enjoyable, so I see no reason not to stick with that :ksc75smile:

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #3,386 of 36,019
It's good to be able to do the analytical stuff when needed, but most of the time, I'd agree to just do what makes enjoying your music the easiest. In your case, streaming it all from Google Play is convenient and enjoyable, so I see no reason not to stick with that :ksc75smile:
I think it's important what brooko did. Was give out a lot of wisdom to those who could otherwise and potentially spend large amounts of money on something they don't need. This gives them the power to choose themselves.

When we look at an 24 bit flac album on hdtracks. It's expensive. A 16 bit album costs less.

Now is it worth it to throw away money for 24 bit. Certainly not in my opinion :p
Leave that in studios for audio mastering peoples and post productionists.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #3,387 of 36,019

So true, now why do I have 10 different portable rigs again:thinking: (Insert photo of an idiot here):open_mouth: Mind you he's laughing and crying at the same time! So @bjaardker , what table speaker setup that might be? Inquiring minds want to know plus I'll show you mine ifin' you show me yours:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Just put a brand new AT Micro Lone cart on my baby and hope to wear it down a little this weekend:grinning:

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,388 of 36,019
Can never thank you enough for your very detailed reply. TBH, I don't have enough knowledge to fully understand everything you said, at least not yet :frowning2:

I suppose "line out" is something related to connecting the DAP to an amp. So, no I don't intend to connect my DAP with any amp. I intend to use the DAP on-the-go obviously, and as an external DAC at home, so if I have an amp at home and not when I'm travelling, then I will have 2 different sounds and I don't really like that.

1. Is "folder play" something like, you copy the whole folder into the sd card, then have the whole folder played? If it is so then it's actually what I've been doing with my Sansa's rockbox.
2. Yes I'm eagerly waiting for M3S. How is dual better than single DAC btw?
3. Yes they are AK 4490EN
Line out - Yes. Line out is when you want to take a signal from your DAP that doesn't pass through the amplifier of the player. For example, ipod. If you want sound from an ipod, you can connect the 3.5mm cable to an amp, but this is using the ipod's DAC and AMP. If you use the 30 pin line out (I'm old school - No lightning connectors here) then you can get the sound directly off of the DAC and output "line-level" to an amp. Line level volume is usually not variable and is what is needed for an input to any amp, receiver, etc.

Line out differs from USB out in this way. Line out is an analog signal that is set to a level volume that the amp is looking for. USB Out is supposed to be a digital bit perfect output that will need to go through a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) for decoding.

(Personal opinion here) I used to listen to my iBasso DX50 with Line out signal into my RSA Intruder AMP. When I got the N3, I connected the USB out of the N3 into the DAC input of the RSA Intruder. It is my opinion that I heard better sound and wider soundstage by using the RSA DAC rather than using the DX50 to decode. That is why I bought the N3 immediately upon hearing the demo unit. Because to me, the soundstage and presentation of the USB out was better than the DX50 Line Out.. (Personal opinion over.)

Folder Play - Yes. You copy songs and folders over to the micro SD card like in a computer. The N3 and M2s can scan your micro SD card and add the files to a library. Then you can use the "Artist" category to search for your music, or "album" category, "genre" etc. Since I just copy over artists and their albums, I just select the music from the directory structure. = Folder Play.

Dual DAC - Theoretically supposed to be better with one DAC for each side of the stereo presentation. But I have not yet owned a dual DAC player. So not going to comment on better or not. I'll let someone who experienced the DX90 or another dual dac player jump in here.

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #3,389 of 36,019
I was thinking about how DRAMA FREE this thread is, and how much drama there is in the Trinity and AK and other threads.

I may have to re-evaluate my OCD nature that keeps me going back to the FOUR DIFFERENT Trinity Threads. I just want to see when people get their equipment. But maybe I should just cut off the gangrenous arm now to save the rest of the body (and sanity).

I recommend you do :p!
Keep what trinity products you have! Forget the rest.

But yes this thread is great!
I just did it. I just UNsubscribed to all of the Trinity threads. Even the happy shiny unicorns one.
And I was wrong. There were FIVE Trinity threads going that I was subscribed to.

I feel better. :)

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #3,390 of 36,019
OK @bjaardker , I'll show you mine:wink: No pressure:smile:

Cave Shots 005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back