The Audio Lounge
Jun 10, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #17,206 of 36,138
The Fearless S4 are in the building, time for a long listening session.

Those are sweet OD, guess we'll be seeing the Y2K next:wink:

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #17,207 of 36,138
Congrats mate!!!!! These are sooooooo killer looking!!!!! Are you liking these so far?

Well, I'm torn to be honest. The mids are great, both male and female vocals, and the bass is pretty nice, if slightly less weighty than the DM6/7, but it's the treble I'm having issues with. It's not lacking detail and it doesn't roll off too early, but it's for lack of a better word, clinical. Too clinical maybe. When A/B'ed with the DM6, the DM6 shines with tons of detail but yet still fun high end. I think what is also throwing me off a bit is the stage on the S4 is not as wide, which might add to the feeling I'm having. Also, the stock cable is not that great, stiff and a little microphonic, but I have some cables coming soon. The build and looks of these things though, damn they are so much better looking than the pics and are very well made.

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #17,208 of 36,138
Those are sweet OD, guess we'll be seeing the Y2K next:wink:

2.jpg

HAHA :p

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #17,209 of 36,138
Well, I'm torn to be honest. The mids are great, both male and female vocals, and the bass is pretty nice, if slightly less weighty than the DM6/7, but it's the treble I'm having issues with. It's not lacking detail and it doesn't roll off too early, but it's for lack of a better word, clinical. Too clinical maybe. When A/B'ed with the DM6, the DM6 shines with tons of detail but yet still fun high end. I think what is also throwing me off a bit is the stage on the S4 is not as wide, which might add to the feeling I'm having. Also, the stock cable is not that great, stiff and a little microphonic, but I have some cables coming soon. The build and looks of these things though, damn they are so much better looking than the pics and are very well made.

Maybe some time with them might provide some of the depth you're seeking? I've seen soundstage open up in some pieces.

Uh, don't you have enough cables already? What's your Cable/IEM ratio now? 2:1? 3:1?

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #17,210 of 36,138
I was the same way when I first got the S8F. The 7K spike was horrendous! It's really settled down as I've been burning them in. Are The S4 you have burned in? I'm really liking these now.

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #17,211 of 36,138
Uh, don't you have enough cables already? What's your Cable/IEM ratio now? 2:1? 3:1?

It's not that bad.... I don't think, lol. For real though, I just don't have very many 2 pin cables. Most all of mine are MMCX. So I needed some 3.5mm and 2.5mm 2 pin cable goodness :p

Maybe some time with them might provide some of the depth you're seeking? I've seen soundstage open up in some pieces.
I was the same way when I first got the S8F. The 7K spike was horrendous! It's really settled down as I've been burning them in. Are The S4 you have burned in? I'm really liking these now.

I was told they had never been used, that the box was opened just to verify config and take photos for the sale thread. So, I have them playing the JLAB burn in file on repeat right now, going to give them about 100 hours and see what's what. Hoping something good because I like so much about these S4's. (Side note: having extra DAPs to do burn ins is very convenient, lol)

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #17,212 of 36,138
It's not that bad.... I don't think, lol. For real though, I just don't have very many 2 pin cables. Most all of mine are MMCX. So I needed some 3.5mm and 2.5mm 2 pin cable goodness :p

I was told they had never been used, that the box was opened just to verify config and take photos for the sale thread. So, I have them playing the JLAB burn in file on repeat right now, going to give them about 100 hours and see what's what. Hoping something good because I like so much about these S4's. (Side note: having extra DAPs to do burn ins is very convenient, lol)
Well there you go. My S8s have changed a lot since I've gotten them. I have about 30 hours on these now.

Jun 10, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #17,213 of 36,138
@OldDude04 Use whatever excuse you need to keep your DAP quantity up. That one works for me...

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #17,216 of 36,138
I started counting in my mind after I responded to you. For MMCX it's way worse than 3:1 haha.

Ended up with that same issue now have a boatload of 2 pins coming:rolling_eyes:

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #17,217 of 36,138
Good to know, I'm definitely going to give them some time.
I think Fearless IEMs in general need a lot of burn in. They are so sibilant and crunchy when you first get them. I had to live through the ear splitting 7k peak on the S8 but I've been rewarded with an awesome pair of IEMs. I think about it and I cringe.

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #17,220 of 36,138
I started counting in my mind after I responded to you. For MMCX it's way worse than 3:1 haha.
What do you have? Like 6 IEMs and 45 cables? :D

Anyone listened to the Flare Audio Gold IEMs? What do you think about them?
+1 curious. I haven't listened to a Flare Audio IEM since the original launch of the R2A. That sounded good, but I ended up selling it due to concerns of the cable durability and there's no way to replace the thing for the average idiot like me. I wonder what the current lineup sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back