The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 11, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #17,251 of 18,652
redface.gif
must admit, I have not tried the hidden menu.  What would it be on for default?  I think I have to have the hold button on and then turn it on?  Are there a few variations to try or have you settled on a setting that you think is the best, Coil?  cheers

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #17,252 of 18,652
Also, after listening to cans for so many years, I hope my ears are still sensitive!  May not be many of us who can still claim that due to damage from high volume listening levels...

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #17,253 of 18,652

redface.gif
must admit, I have not tried the hidden menu.  What would it be on for default?  I think I have to have the hold button on and then turn it on?  Are there a few variations to try or have you settled on a setting that you think is the best, Coil?  cheers

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/b57908a183b8/DX50_NEW_DOC%60S_FAVORITE_FIRMWARE_ULTIMATE_FINAL.zip

It only supports FLAC, APE and DSD formats. With this firmware you don't need to worry about a hidden menu.

With SU 1.3.3 you put the hold switch to the lock position and then you turn the device on. When you have changed the settings you turn the switch back to unlock. The settings will stay in effect until you activate the hidden boot-up menu again. The general consensus is FLAC, IRR off and Default has the best sound. There are also some members who prefer FLAC, IRR on and 312. Try both and see which works best for you. If you use other lossless formats then selecting lossless is fine. If you have to select all the sound will still be really good, it just won't be quite as clean.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #17,254 of 18,652
I just received my Ibasso DX50 yesterday and so far I'm very happy with it. I tested it with my Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear VS all my other devices and this is my result about It sound quality;

Apple Ipod Touch 2G: 6/10
Sony Walkman NWZ-E474: 7/10
Microsoft Surface Pro 1: 8/10
Ibasso DX50: 8.5/10
Audioengine D1: 9/10
JDS Labs O2+ODAC: 10/10

I'm just worried about the high volume peak problem, does anyone know if this issue has been fixed?

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #17,255 of 18,652
I'm just worried about the high volume peak problem

Meh? I think I haven`t even ran into reading about it, at least I don`t recall.

If You rate this 10/10 then You should definitely try out custom firmwares :wink:

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #17,256 of 18,652
I just received my Ibasso DX50 yesterday and so far I'm very happy with it. I tested it with my Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear VS all my other devices and this is my result about It sound quality;

Apple Ipod Touch 2G: 6/10
Sony Walkman NWZ-E474: 7/10
Microsoft Surface Pro 1: 8/10
Ibasso DX50: 8.5/10
Audioengine D1: 9/10

I'm just worried about the high volume peak problem, does anyone know if this issue has been fixed?

As coil said, try out some custom firmwares they really do make a difference.  Sound Unlocked and Docs Favourite Final  Ultimate if you are on Lossless only. If you are still wanting to squeeze more out of the dx-50 then see the MODS thread.

The Volume peaks were an unfortunate part of the DX-50's growing pains, and is since a thing of the past on latest firmwares/players. It was not experienced by all users either.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #17,257 of 18,652
  https://cloud.mail.ru/public/b57908a183b8/DX50_NEW_DOC%60S_FAVORITE_FIRMWARE_ULTIMATE_FINAL.zip

It only supports FLAC, APE and DSD formats. With this firmware you don't need to worry about a hidden menu.

With SU 1.3.3 you put the hold switch to the lock position and then you turn the device on. When you have changed the settings you turn the switch back to unlock. The settings will stay in effect until you activate the hidden boot-up menu again. The general consensus is FLAC, IRR off and Default has the best sound. There are also some members who prefer FLAC, IRR on and 312. Try both and see which works best for you. If you use other lossless formats then selecting lossless is fine. If you have to select all the sound will still be really good, it just won't be quite as clean.

Is this new firmware from DOC already in English language?

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #17,262 of 18,652
Is there any good recommendation for a good portable with the dx50 for under 150.00 with great bass and clarity and power was thinking the cayin c5 or c6 but what do you guys recommend??

I love my Cayin C5 with the DX50, but I don't have much to compare it to. The only other portable amp I have tried with it is the E11 and the C5 is definitely better.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #17,263 of 18,652

thank you..Just upgraded..jumped from NDFFF..much improved to my ears in a brief listening..

And what exactly is much improved over NDFFF ? Just curious about it when words "much improved" is being used 
wink.gif
 I have tried both some time ago already... 

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #17,264 of 18,652
And what exactly is much improved over NDFFF ? Just curious about it when words "much improved" is being used 
wink.gif
 I have tried both some time ago already... 

Come on Coil, everyone knows none of these firmwares make a night and day difference, it's all subtle preference depending on everyones hearing and headphones/iems.
If he feels that a firmware works well with his cans and feels it is much improved......then that's fine.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #17,265 of 18,652
I didn`t say anything about neither being better or bad... just curious what he found so different between NDFFF vs. NDFFUF to make such claim.
And with some stock fw vs. custom fw differences can be pretty big imo, at least in certain aspects.

Sorry if I sounded "picky".

Btw, after some charge cycles with my new KINPS "3150mAh" battery I now get 14h40min playtime out of it with following settings:

SU 1.3.3 @ FLAC/IIR off/CPU default
Screen brightness 50
Screen usage time about 4min
Vol @ 188 (my usual listening level is between 186-191 depending on IEM and recording/music).
HO @ mid gain
KZ ED9 IEM

Pretty great for such cheap battery.
I think I killed my previous Kinps battery with overheating with rapid charging (Samsun 2A charger) while using silicone + fabric pocket. It lasted about 6 months I think.
Now trying to keep it as "naked" as possible to avoid excessive heat from charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back