The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 12, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #17,266 of 18,652
And what exactly is much improved over NDFFF ? Just curious about it when words "much improved" is being used :wink:  I have tried both some time ago already... 

Come on Coil, everyone knows none of these firmwares make a night and day difference, it's all subtle preference depending on everyones hearing and headphones/iems.
If he feels that a firmware works well with his cans and feels it is much improved......then that's fine.

I don't think Coil was attacking him, I'm pretty sure he was just interested in his impressions.

I find the firmwares to be pretty nigt and day myself. They are obviously limited to the DX50's capabilities, but they make a huge difference.

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #17,267 of 18,652
@CoiL

This is my current configuration, change all caps with BG, the 2 in the middle above is for the back side (the BG is rather short but fatty so doesn't fit into the back side). And the 2 in the middle below is for 2 tiny caps between DAC.

So far, sounds more clear and little bit darker background feeling. No plan to change the op amp yet because i found the 627 may be sounds too dark with my configuration. And yes, they're not making the BG anymore so you may difficult to find this things everywhere. You may continue experimenting with panasonic etc then..

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #17,269 of 18,652
  And what exactly is much improved over NDFFF ? Just curious about it when words "much improved" is being used 
wink.gif
 I have tried both some time ago already..oh

oh im sorry if i make such bold statement..btw im using FAD heaven iv which is famous for its mid-range being coloured..
honestly i hate the colouration on the NDFFF where at times can get little shouty and splashy..but not in the new firmware i tried..so far,just natural to my ears and i heard a lil bit depth,airy and spacious..it tames the colouration of heaven iv the same way my schiit vali does..and now im happy even not using vali while traveling..maybe im just too happy with the improvement it makes on my iems though..hehehe..YMMV

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #17,271 of 18,652
  @CoiL

This is my current configuration, change all caps with BG, the 2 in the middle above is for the back side (the BG is rather short but fatty so doesn't fit into the back side). And the 2 in the middle below is for 2 tiny caps between DAC.

So far, sounds more clear and little bit darker background feeling. No plan to change the op amp yet because i found the 627 may be sounds too dark with my configuration. And yes, they're not making the BG anymore so you may difficult to find this things everywhere. You may continue experimenting with panasonic etc then..

I will rather try latest discovery from babs - Panasonic POSCAP`s but probably I`m staying with FC (since babs also confirmed them being very good: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods/210#post_11660456). Next thing I`m going to do is change HO decoupling caps to 330uF 10V POSCAP (#10TPE330M) which should result: 
  This cap fit nicely to the original pads
Bass seem tighter, and go definitively lower

Not that I find FC lacking in it... just testing. 
I`m actually more interested in changing LO opamp but must do more research which one to use, one option is ADA4841-2YRZ but babs haven`t tried it himself, so no idea about resulting sound but I will probably go with SOIC-8 package.

And if I happen to change HO opamps, then probably going with babs recommendation - ADA4897-1ARZ but changing HO opamps is not my priority and no real need for me personally, at least not atm with this configuration.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #17,272 of 18,652
Great.. want to hear your impressions after you do that. My friend change the HO & LO op amp with 627 and the other i forgot the type, but the sounds not for me..

oh, do you believe burn in after caps upgrade will change the sound signature? how many hours then? should i do that..?

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #17,273 of 18,652

oh, do you believe burn in after caps upgrade will change the sound signature? how many hours then? should i do that..?

Yes, I believe in caps burn-in but usually ~48h is already enough to show caps "character" imo. From there on things can still improve but that`s only in certain aspects like bass tightness or treble "smoothing" and are not so clearly noticeable, more likely Your "brain burn-in" will have larger effect.
Just put Your DX50 on shuffle play for about 2 days with littlebit higher vol than Your listening level (not important but I usually do like this) and make Your judgement after this.

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #17,275 of 18,652
This is too subjective to answer! And in SE215 price range I have no idea. You must do Your own research for Your own taste and needs.
Atm I`m really liking some things from drit-cheap price range... KZ ED9 and KZ ATE but there are tremendous amount of IEM`s out there to explore.
I enjoy cheap great IEM`s because I can modify and "re-design" them to my liking/needs
tongue.gif

Most expensive IEM I`ve had is Havi B3Pro1 but I was quite disappointed in them, especially after all the hype. You can read some impressions about IEMs I have tried from my profile but definitely do Your own research and think about what kind of sound signature You want before jumpong into "hunt".
For example my preferred IEM sound signature is neutral but with littlebit enhanced bass and mids (not basshead! just to give contrabass and such instruments natural enough sound) along with tinybit smoothed highs (I`m sensitive to highs). Usually littlebit smoothed highs already results in "enhanced bass & mids" for me, depending of IEM of course. Oh, one important thing more... I`m totally soundstage-junkie, I don`t like small narrow "in Your headstage" sound. And soundstage depth towards front is also very important to me.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #17,278 of 18,652
Jun 13, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #17,279 of 18,652
Nice, yesterday i make some audition with rha ma750i and shure se215 spe with my mod dx50 + 1.3.3 SU, both are great, but hard to make decission, maybe i'll chose the most comfort one

Correct, my DX50 is now a new species

Users who are viewing this thread

Back