The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 14, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #16,576 of 18,652
  May I ask few might be basic/ silly questions.....Do the 1.3.3 SU and NDFFF firmware support shuffling by artist or shuffling by genre?

I see many of you flash the firmwares up and down, is there any risk to create a brick by DX50? I have created a few different bricks of different devices, silly me.....

Will DX50 detect the version of firmware and allow it to go up and down?

many thanks.

I don't know anyone who has bricked their DX50. The rkbatchtool has saved me countless times when messing with Rockbox though. As long as you stick with Mango and not Rockbox there is no way anything major will go wrong. It is very simple to do as well.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #16,577 of 18,652
Dont scare people of switching to rockbox. I was completely unable to corrupt my internal storage and i have tried about all rockbox builds except the one from medmity,
Just don't take out the battery while updating :wink:

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #16,578 of 18,652
Well I bricked it once :) (yes literally, I couldn't even get to recovery, screen is black no matter what I do). Luckily RKBatchtool save my a** on that one (To be fair it bricked thanks to RKBatchtool in the first place lol).

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #16,579 of 18,652
I think it is impossible to totally brick Your DX50. Never heard someone to achieve it. If there is some kind of malfunction, RKbatchtool can recover it.

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #16,581 of 18,652
Hi there

How are we doing with the sound stuttering on DX50?

With mine, all official firmwares since 1.4 and DOC's final versions and also SU 1.3.3 stuttering (playing from sd card and internal). It's really disappointing and annoying.

Only Rockbox solve the problem (but WHY??)

Did somebody has solved the problem whitout rockboxing?

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #16,582 of 18,652
Never had any issue with sound stuttering with any FW I`ve tried!
Did You try another mSD card? Some ppl had same problem (mostly Sandisk cards) and changing to different card helped.
For example I`m using ADATA premier sdxc uhs-I CL10 64GB and someone here also changed to this card and problems went away.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #16,583 of 18,652
  Hi there

How are we doing with the sound stuttering on DX50?

With mine, all official firmwares since 1.4 and DOC's final versions and also SU 1.3.3 stuttering (playing from sd card and internal). It's really disappointing and annoying.

Only Rockbox solve the problem (but WHY??)

Did somebody has solved the problem whitout rockboxing?

I agree with the previous comment: try another microSD card. On paper, even a rubbish card should be able to keep up with the average data transfer speed needed for music playback (even at high resolution/sample rate), but stats aren't always accurate when it comes to real-world applications. And fragmentation could also be an issue.

So yeah, try another card (or defrag your current one and see if that sorts it out). I've had no stuttering issues with the recent FWs, so it's definitely not a universal FW bug.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #16,585 of 18,652
Funny. I used to have stuttering even with rockbox. I did a fresh install from the RKbatchtool and seems like problem went away (still the same card, Sandisk 64gb Class 10).

I've never had stuttering before now, but recently it is happening with every firmware I use. I think I will try this.

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #16,587 of 18,652
I just took delivery of my own DX50 on Tuesday and just want to leave a short (ish) impression. First, I'm coming from a RockBoxed iPod 5.5 that I performed the CF mod on; from 30gb stock to having a 64gb card in it on the Tarkan adapter. Loved it but was running out of room; bigger CF cards are stupid expensive while mSDXC cards are growing in capacity and dropping in price. Since it was originally a 30gb I didn't really want to saddle it with 128gb worth of files and lose the good response I had with it currently. Also, I knew the lows were rather over emphasized but didn't want to eq it. I listen with iems generally; about 90% of the time with tf10s with a set of Null Audio cables and once in a while Klipsch custom 2s. My music files are mostly flac, a few 320k, and fewer still at 256k that I don't listen to much. I do not / will not piggyback an amp to a portable. It either sounds right or it doesn't; I'm not buying and strapping stuff to it to fix it. 

My DX came with fw 1.5.0 installed. At first listen I found the bass thin and overall everything else a just little grainy. This soon passed as I became accustomed to it and (I presume) the player burned in some. Now I find it very well balanced, very clear, everything at their proper levels. Listening to some tracks that I know very well from Jack Johnson, Sarah McLachlan, Alice in Chains, Metallica, Cranberries, 311, and Bob Marley (all of them flac) and comparing the same playlist between devices from Day 1 the sound from the DX has definitely filled in. Wasn't sure that burn-in would be a factor but I'm thinking now that it is. I want to give the stock fw and my ears more time before I go changing fw versions. I do have 1.6.0 and 1.8.0 downloaded if and when I decide to make the change. And yes, yes, I have SU 1.3.3 in there too 
wink_face.gif
. Going back to the ipod it now sounds muddy, almost heavy, in comparison to the DX. I love the sound of the DX50 so much right now!

Device itself looks and feels very well made. Screen seems a little over sensitive but I'm getting used to it. Haven't had any issue with files not playing, stuttering, not displaying, or anything like that. I'm on a mac book pro and use Metadatics (from Mac App Store) to check tags and imbed cover art and seems to be working well for me. Battery life is rated at 14hrs and I think that's going to be about right; I run the volume at 170 and the gain switch in the middle with my tf10s FWIW. I'm very happy with the device and feel it was money very well spent. I've seen Fiio's devices and know about the new 3ii; they're not what I wanted.

I do want to thank all the early adopters out there for being the beta testers; in reading from the start of the thread you guys suffered through some bugs. I'm hoping now that iBasso has a presence on this thread that the few tweaks that may remain can be addressed. I'd also like to thank iBasso for reaching out to the customers in the first place. The DX isn't new by any stretch but it seems from listening to you guys that every fw update is a refresh. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #16,590 of 18,652
Just an update and shout out to Ibasso.

I had dropped my poor DX50 so many times that on one of the drops, well, the volume up stopped working (the button would push but the receiver inside would move due to a partially broken connection.  So I got hold of Ibasso and they fixed it for free out of warranty - my cost, shipping.

Its back, and its just like new (well, ok, mine doesn't look new anymore as I have banged the bejeebers out of the poor thing).

Thanks Ibasso!

I will more than likely just wave in a DX90 when I really do something bad to this one (I am famous for getting electronics wet and those kind of mishaps are not repairable.).

edit - one thing I am curious about is the EQ.  I know for my portable speaker I use on the roof, it benefits from a bit of treble boost (its too bassy).  I notice when the EQ is on in 'custom' with that boost, the volume output is lower than it is with the EQ off.  I would have though EQ on (and flat) and EQ off would be the same output level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back