The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 11, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #16,546 of 18,652
Well, i don't agree with this totally, i think these companies are still learning to give a proper 0 glitch dap but they
are still not there.

but software wise going from fiio to ibasso to anything else, is very relative to each user, thats why i always measure it first by sound quality and then an acceptable software.

i could mention some things from the top of my head, the touch screen of the dx50 is amazing, if i got a long list of artists or songs, i keep scrolling a wheel on x5 for god knows how long, just to reach some song, it has been suggested for an ipod like fast character scrolling, but how many firmwares out and this havent been adressed.

also for dx50 you get other custom firms and rockbox, on the x5 it is just the normal software, which started by the way with so many glitches and they have been trying hardly to iron them out, and still no one gets all what he wants.

iam not a fan boy or biased in anyway, but iam just mentioning that it looks the same with each company, for me i prefer the dx50 with rockbox, but the x5 amp sound quality is very much capable, so i will just use the x5.

i also got the shozy alien, while it sounds very nice but it took months to discover how it works exactly while there is no provided manual or anything from the company, we discovered some playback modes by luck too.

So inbrief, if you like the x1 sound and software better you should go for it, while at some other place someone might just do the opposite.

i dont know if you own the x1 or not, but if you dont then may be after you buy it, you will still face other problems in the software, that leaves you unsatisfied.

For what I remember the DX50 touchscreen started to be "usable" after some updates. The first versions were terrible. 

As I said I love my DX50, the sound quality is great as well as the features (line out, coax out, nice internal amp, nice design) but I need to use it under rockbox to avoid sound stuttering. At the beginning I thought it was my SD card but since under rockbox it doesn't have this problem it shall be another original firmware's fail. 

I only listened the X1 for few minutes so I don't know if I like the SQ but it seemed good. I'm not sure if I will go with FiiO or not but, for sure, I will consider more the user experience the next time I'll buy a DAP.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #16,547 of 18,652
Just upgraded from stock firmware 1.6.0 to the new 1.8.0. 

The first thing I noticed is more bass weight and impact.  That sounds like a good thing, but I think it might be a bit exaggerated.  It's a bit distracting on some recordings. 

It also seems like the line level output is a bit higher (I use the DX50's line out to an external amp).  Switching back and forth directly from 1.8.0 to Rockbox the difference in output level is more noticeable than on 1.6.0. 

Is anyone else experiencing the same? 

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #16,550 of 18,652
  Just upgraded from stock firmware 1.6.0 to the new 1.8.0. 

The first thing I noticed is more bass weight and impact.  That sounds like a good thing, but I think it might be a bit exaggerated.  It's a bit distracting on some recordings. 

It also seems like the line level output is a bit higher (I use the DX50's line out to an external amp).  Switching back and forth directly from 1.8.0 to Rockbox the difference in output level is more noticeable than on 1.6.0. 

No replygain or other effects at all. 

Please check, recording to pc: With burning software of your trust; a sound file at full volume from lineout stock firmware and then the same file in rockbox under the same conditions, to rule that there be a malfunction of the player. Both should be of the same volume.
regards

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #16,551 of 18,652

How did you notice this when nothing was changed with the sound in this firmware release?  Maybe your firmware needs to burn in 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #16,554 of 18,652
  ...DAC part delay problem solved already?

You can raise buffer to eliminate delay and use WASAPI or ASIO. Though, all programs don`t support them and some have problems with external DAC`s. For movies, use audio sync programs.

Also, did You try Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 and New Docs Favourite Firmware Final?

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #16,555 of 18,652
  So I managed to install DAC function for my computer, unfortunately It turn into BSOD after 5 min of using. Any solution? (windows 8 64bit)

W8 64bit has problems with DX50 (especially after first service pack). Doubt You`ll get it working properly. Did You disable dirver signature enforcement?

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #16,556 of 18,652
  So I managed to install DAC function for my computer, unfortunately It turn into BSOD after 5 min of using. Any solution? (windows 8 64bit)

We are currently working on this. Hopefully there will be a fix very soon.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 12, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #16,557 of 18,652

...DAC part delay problem solved already?

You can raise buffer to eliminate delay and use WASAPI or ASIO. Though, all programs don`t support them and some have problems with external DAC`s. For movies, use audio sync programs.

Also, did You try Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 and New Docs Favourite Firmware Final?

Do you happen to have a link to DOCs firmware handy? If not, I can search for it when I get home. I want to compare it to 1.3.3.

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #16,558 of 18,652
Thread search is useful :wink:

http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=139417&page=103&p=1521785&viewfull=1#post1521785

I liked it very much but it had littlebit harsh highs that caused fatique. And SU 1.3.3 felt littlebit more neutral/balanced.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #16,559 of 18,652
  Thread search is useful :wink:

http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=139417&page=103&p=1521785&viewfull=1#post1521785

I liked it very much but it had littlebit harsh highs that caused fatique. And SU 1.3.3 felt littlebit more neutral/balanced.

If I remember correctly DOCs firmware sounds better at quieter volumes while 1.3.3 sounds better at louder volumes. I know I could have searched, but I was at work and was hoping you would have provided the link for me by the time I got home. And you did! Thanks a lot! I love being lazy
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #16,560 of 18,652
REPORTING!!! I've got SERIOUS problem with 1.8.0. It occurs at least when playing flac/ape+cue music.

1.) You select track from album playlist or you simply open flac-file and then choose preferred track using left/right buttons;
2.) You keep listening the track;
3.) When the track finishes, player (sonically) switches to the beginning of an album, while on screen the next track is viewed. However, the indication of this 'next' track progress doesn't work properly (stands at zero-zero);
4.) Each time you interfere in the sequence of tracks (e.g. switch to preferred track), player shall switch to the beginning of an album after playing the track you chose (with inappropriate information on the screen). If not interfere, it will play the sequence of tracks starting from No.1 (with also false info on the screen). 

So, that's the problem. I've tried reset, but it didn't work. Returning to 1.6.0 for now.
Sorry for my messy English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back