The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 10, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #16,531 of 18,652
  It is not as warm or dynamic as 1.3.3 SU.

1.3.3 SU is warm?
rolleyes.gif
Dynamic yes but imho 1.3.3 SU is one of the most neutral and balanced sounding FW yet. Though, maybe it`s the original Jovial capacitors that make things "muddy" and "warm" sounding because after caps upgrade I felt like the "blanket" had been removed over the sound.

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #16,532 of 18,652

It is not as warm or dynamic as 1.3.3 SU.

1.3.3 SU is warm?
rolleyes.gif
Dynamic yes but imho 1.3.3 SU is one of the most neutral and balanced sounding FW yet. Though, maybe it`s the original Jovial capacitors that make things "muddy" and "warm" sounding because after caps upgrade I felt like the "blanket" had been removed over the sound.

I prefer a warm sound and 1.3.3 sounds warmer than neutral to me personally. Maybe we have a different definition of warm... Maybe darker is the appropriate term?

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #16,534 of 18,652
Well... lets put it this way... I can say that DX50 wolfson dac in its nature is littlebit warm or "dark" sounding and those stock capacitors make it even warmer and "darker". I agree though, SU 1.3.3 is tinybit warmer than neutral but still, I wouldn`t call it just with one word warm. Maybe littlebit warmish would be correct?
biggrin.gif
Hope You hear what SU 1.3.3 + capacitor change does one day. I would call it DX55
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #16,535 of 18,652
  I think changing the sound in firmware is a difficult task.  The sound is a subjective thing, so some will like it and others will hate it.

Noone said it`s an easy task. But if You do some research then Lurker`s, DOC`s and Medmitry`s modified firmwares get very much appreciation in head-fi community. It`s littlebit more than just someones subjective opinion, imo.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #16,537 of 18,652
  Well... lets put it this way... I can say that DX50 wolfson dac in its nature is littlebit warm or "dark" sounding and those stock capacitors make it even warmer and "darker". I agree though, SU 1.3.3 is tinybit warmer than neutral but still, I wouldn`t call it just with one word warm. Maybe littlebit warmish would be correct?
biggrin.gif
Hope You hear what SU 1.3.3 + capacitor change does one day. I would call it DX55
biggrin.gif

I can agree with that! I prefer a warmer sound anyway.
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #16,538 of 18,652
  Well now we have a 10 band equalizer, so we should be able to make it sound however we want
tongue_smile.gif

True. I've heard a lot of bad things about the stock EQ in the Rockbox thread, but I have no idea if it holds any merit. There are some changes you can make to improve sound quality that go deeper than just the EQ though. And that's where DOC and medmitry's custom firmwares come in.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #16,542 of 18,652
I am glad to have update......it is by no mean a new product nor flagship product. But we can still get update after more than a year.....that's nice.

Well, if there is a wishlist here, I would like to have more shuffle playing options. Now we only have shuffle the folder (not include subfolder) or all musics in the machine. What I had in my stone aged cowon S9 is "shuffle all songs with same artists" "shuffle all songs in same genre" "shuffle all songs in same album (within same folder or not)", etc. generally whenever I sort the song, the first option is "shuffle all" and then the albums. I am not sure if it is clear enough.....

eg
menu 1
artist
genre
year

If I click artist...
menu 2
artist 1
artist 2
artist 3

then I click artist 1....
shuffle all
album 1
album 2
album 3

the "shuffle all" here will play all songs of artist 1 no matter where I put them, same folder or not. Similar option in genre, year, etc.

Now I need to put all songs by the same artist into a playlist first.....it is quite inconvenient.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #16,543 of 18,652

Well... lets put it this way... I can say that DX50 wolfson dac in its nature is littlebit warm or "dark" sounding and those stock capacitors make it even warmer and "darker". I agree though, SU 1.3.3 is tinybit warmer than neutral but still, I wouldn`t call it just with one word warm. Maybe littlebit warmish would be correct? :D Hope You hear what SU 1.3.3 + capacitor change does one day. I would call it DX55 :D

I can agree with that! I prefer a warmer sound anyway. :wink:

And when I said I prefer a warmer sound I meant that I was good with 1.3.3 being warmer. I am still interested in replacing the capacitors.

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #16,544 of 18,652

Mean spirited or not, it`s ridiculous how long it takes this software team to get gapless play and other issues fixed. Not to mention SQ.
Seriously, company who wants to please it`s clients should change something if those issues stay for so long time. What are they paying for those SW developers?
I come from a country which is very good in different kind of software development and we here keep chasing progress not regress. If we see things go wrong or no progress then we change something and every software developer knows this if they want to achieve something :wink: iBasso - it`s really time to get your software fixed! Some enthusiast are doing better thing with Your FW than Your team does... think about it! :wink:

I agree with you and that's why my next DAP will be a FiiO or something else. I really love my DX50 but the software is a real downside. I tried the FiiO X1 and the user experience is on another league..

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #16,545 of 18,652
I agree with you and that's why my next DAP will be a FiiO or something else. I really love my DX50 but the software is a real downside. I tried the FiiO X1 and the user experience is on another league..

Well, i don't agree with this totally, i think these companies are still learning to give a proper 0 glitch dap but they
are still not there.

but software wise going from fiio to ibasso to anything else, is very relative to each user, thats why i always measure it first by sound quality and then an acceptable software.

i could mention some things from the top of my head, the touch screen of the dx50 is amazing, if i got a long list of artists or songs, i keep scrolling a wheel on x5 for god knows how long, just to reach some song, it has been suggested for an ipod like fast character scrolling, but how many firmwares out and this havent been adressed.

also for dx50 you get other custom firms and rockbox, on the x5 it is just the normal software, which started by the way with so many glitches and they have been trying hardly to iron them out, and still no one gets all what he wants.

iam not a fan boy or biased in anyway, but iam just mentioning that it looks the same with each company, for me i prefer the dx50 with rockbox, but the x5 amp sound quality is very much capable, so i will just use the x5.

i also got the shozy alien, while it sounds very nice but it took months to discover how it works exactly while there is no provided manual or anything from the company, we discovered some playback modes by luck too.

So inbrief, if you like the x1 sound and software better you should go for it, while at some other place someone might just do the opposite.

i dont know if you own the x1 or not, but if you dont then may be after you buy it, you will still face other problems in the software, that leaves you unsatisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back