The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 17, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #16,606 of 18,652

And if that doesn't do it for me I will probably end up going back to SU EX. That is definitely the best sound I have heard out of my DX50. It sounds so organic and analogue while having a great bass response.

Do you have a link for this FW? I can't seem to find it the web. Thank you!!

It is based off of a much older firmware. The interface doesn't look nearly as nice and it can be slightly buggy at times, so use at your own risk!

https://mega.co.nz/#!jMsAjRKY!9wyt0_sNfe6G3zHTFGf5JAxJKcnhnVDMMnfGSc0gOWQ

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #16,607 of 18,652

And if that doesn't do it for me I will probably end up going back to SU EX. That is definitely the best sound I have heard out of my DX50. It sounds so organic and analogue while having a great bass response.

Do you have a link for this FW? I can't seem to find it the web. Thank you!!

Also, bear in mind that it takes a few minutes for the processor to reach optimal settings. It is sort of a "warm-up" effect. So, let the sound settle before analyzing it.

I just put SU EX back on my DX50 and I can't believe I ever switched firmwares. I'd say that 1.3.3 is the closest as far as sound is concerned, but EX is just so orgasmic! I didn't even bother trying DOCs Sound Explosion Grand Final Firmware. This experimental firmware just have a very dynamic analogue sound to it! The mids are so magical sounding! And this is the only firmware on the DX50 that got the bass right in my opinion.

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #16,608 of 18,652
I am listening to my AD900X from the headphone out right now and it sounds like I am listening through a tube amplifier! I'll try to shut up about how amazing this firmware is now...
deadhorse.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #16,609 of 18,652

I just put SU EX back on my DX50 and I can't believe I ever switched firmwares. I'd say that 1.3.3 is the closest as far as sound is concerned, but EX is just so orgasmic! I didn't even bother trying DOCs Sound Explosion Grand Final Firmware. This experimental firmware just have a very dynamic analogue sound to it! The mids are so magical sounding! And this is the only firmware on the DX50 that got the bass right in my opinion.

Agreed. The other way to go would be SU 1.3.3 + capacitor change if more functionality options are needed.
But be warned who uses SUEX, I was told by Medmitry that once it crashes, You`ll need to reinstall it because simple reboot/factory reset won`t fix broken libraries. That issue and functionality options were why I decided to go with capacitor upgrade + SU 1.3.3. But I totally agree with SUEX being awesome. From my testing experience and psychoacoustic memory I can tell it sounds basically same as SU 1.3.3 + Vishay BC 038RSU capacitors, just awesome mids and organic natural sound with proper bass/kick presence/quantity/quality. But since I prefer littlebit more airiness and open large soundstage, I found Panasonic FC better for my taste and gear.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #16,610 of 18,652
  Agreed. The other way to go would be SU 1.3.3 + capacitor change if more functionality options are needed.
But be warned who uses SUEX, I was told by Medmitry that once it crashes, You`ll need to reinstall it because simple reboot/factory reset won`t fix broken libraries. That issue and functionality options were why I decided to go with capacitor upgrade + SU 1.3.3. But I totally agree with SUEX being awesome. From my testing experience and psychoacoustic memory I can tell it sounds basically same as SU 1.3.3 + Vishay BC 038RSU capacitors, just awesome mids and organic natural sound with proper bass/kick presence/quantity/quality. But since I prefer littlebit more airiness and open large soundstage, I found Panasonic FC better for my taste and gear.

Can you tell me which Pana FC you're using?

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #16,611 of 18,652
FC is FC, what do You mean which one? You mean capacitance? 220uF 10V for HO and 100uF 10V for LO, same values as original. Original LO capacitors are very good (Nichicon FW) and almost same as Panasonic FC, they don`t really need to be changed imho. But HO caps are quite bad SQ wise. My three top favourites for HO were Panasonic FC, VishayBC 038 RSU and Nichicon FG. Nichicon FW was also very good though.
Check DX50 mods thread for more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods/75#post_11103729

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #16,612 of 18,652
  FC is FC, what do You mean which one? You mean capacitance? 220uF 10V for HO and 100uF 10V for LO, same values as original. Original LO capacitors are very good (Nichicon FW) and almost same as Panasonic FC, they don`t really need to be changed imho. But HO caps are quite bad SQ wise. My three top favourites for HO were Panasonic FC, VishayBC 038 RSU and Nichicon FG. Nichicon FW was also very good though.
Check DX50 mods thread for more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods/75#post_11103729

Thanks a lot :)

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #16,615 of 18,652
I went back to 1.8.0 last night and I am loving the sound quality. It is very black in my opinion, not warm at all but brings out all of the textures in the percussion and had me completely lost in my music last night. Am looking forward to the little quirks being fixed like when it says tracks are 24bit when they aren't and hoping this sound signature doesn't change as I love it. I tweeked the eq a little before I listened and I love the sound quality it's giving me. I have had no problems with tracks repeating, I always listen to my entire collection on shuffle.

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #16,619 of 18,652
  Come on Ibasso "software team", I have faith into you to fix the little quirks in the software.
rolleyes.gif

So everyone having little buggy problems or you swith to another FW.
Looking at Geekwave...

I guarantee you it is being worked on. A few changes have been made and not just to the FW.
smile.gif

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back