The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 17, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #10,322 of 18,652
About DSD support:
Someone knows if the Wolfson DAC can do true DSD decoding or is just DSD -> PCM ?
If it is DSD -> PCM I think there is no real SQ improvement.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #10,323 of 18,652
  While I sure as hell don't want to bore everyone to death... I'm going to post AGAIN about my OTG experiences.

This morning I tested the run time of my DX50 attached to a 1TB HD via a specialty cable (supposed I guess to charge (or maintain charge in the DX), AND power the HD to give OTG listening)).

I managed 1 hour 10 minutes playtime before the DX50 shut itself down due to a completely drained battery. So completely impracticable and unusable. Which is a little disappointing.

Additionally, adding the OTG drive and trying to scan the library was problematic, then REMOVING the OTG drive was really screwing with my library... when I tried to play music after removing the OTG it was trying to play tracks from the drive I had removed, even after re-scanning the internal memory card. It was leaving the legacy library on the menu, allowing the DX to select tracks that were no longer present.

A factory reset was require after undocking the OTG EACH TIME.

So, while playing tunes from an external HD is POSSIBLE, it is utterly problematic and impractical. 

Unless I'm doing something stupid, which is really quite likely.

:xf_eek:)

I think you're doing the right thing by sharing your findings in an unexplored subject. 

Keep it up! 
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #10,324 of 18,652
Or you can use a microSD to full SD extender/adapter. Effectively doubles your storage by getting a 128GB SD card without any impact on battery life. The USB port remains free to recharge DX50.

I wonder if this solution could be tidied up in anyway......personally I wouldn't be able to live with my DX50 looking like that.....I like the idea but would need some sort of enclosure for the SD Card and cable. :frowning2:

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #10,326 of 18,652
I wonder if this solution could be tidied up in anyway......personally I wouldn't be able to live with my DX50 looking like that.....I like the idea but would need some sort of enclosure for the SD Card and cable. :frowning2:

Up to you to be creative in making it neat. I used an amp so it's sandwiched in between DX50 and the amp.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #10,328 of 18,652

Somewhere in this thread there is a link to a SD reader in an enclosure

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #10,332 of 18,652

I use iBasso silicone case, and SD card adapter is hardly visible and not disturbing. I have sandisk 128GB SDXC card full of music, and that is about 60% of all my music mostly flac and alac files.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #10,333 of 18,652
Is there a capacity limit to the micro SD slot? Looking at 128gb micro SD's for $120 right now, I assume they'll be about half that price in the next year, and 256gb cards are $450, but those will come down too.

I tend to keep players a long time, so in a year or 2 can I throw in a 128 or 256gb card?

Also, I know its been linked but can someone link me to the Micro SD to full SD ribbon cable pictured below?

Thanks

I use iBasso silicone case, and SD card adapter is hardly visible and not disturbing. I have sandisk 128GB SDXC card full of music, and that is about 60% of all my music mostly flac and alac files.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #10,335 of 18,652
Is there a capacity limit to the micro SD slot? Looking at 128gb micro SD's for $120 right now, I assume they'll be about half that price in the next year, and 256gb cards are $450, but those will come down too.

I tend to keep players a long time, so in a year or 2 can I throw in a 128 or 256gb card?

Also, I know its been linked but can someone link me to the Micro SD to full SD ribbon cable pictured below?

Thanks

I think the current SDXC class 10 spec supports up to 2 TB capacity. But at the moment we only have 64GB for mSD and 128GB for SD (256 exists I know but price is still on out of reach territory).

Soon a 128GB mSD will be available, but I expect it will be expensive. Perhaps next year they will be affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back