The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 17, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #10,306 of 18,652
  Are there any recent comparisons between the latest firmwares and their sound signatures?

There's a handy chart in the first post of this thread 
smile.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #10,307 of 18,652
  There's a handy chart in the first post of this thread 
smile.gif

Aye, but does it note sound signatures? Am I overlooking something?

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #10,309 of 18,652

Aye, but does it note sound signatures? Am I overlooking something?

no, because:

No but there is much subjective difference in perception of the different firmwares. This is wisely not included in the chart. You have to peruse the thread and decide what you believe. Really at the end of the day, you have to listen yourself.

...but we did include links to the posts where discussion about each firmware starts. Knock yourself out.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #10,310 of 18,652
While I sure as hell don't want to bore everyone to death... I'm going to post AGAIN about my OTG experiences.

This morning I tested the run time of my DX50 attached to a 1TB HD via a specialty cable (supposed I guess to charge (or maintain charge in the DX), AND power the HD to give OTG listening)).

I managed 1 hour 10 minutes playtime before the DX50 shut itself down due to a completely drained battery. So completely impracticable and unusable. Which is a little disappointing.

Additionally, adding the OTG drive and trying to scan the library was problematic, then REMOVING the OTG drive was really screwing with my library... when I tried to play music after removing the OTG it was trying to play tracks from the drive I had removed, even after re-scanning the internal memory card. It was leaving the legacy library on the menu, allowing the DX to select tracks that were no longer present.

A factory reset was require after undocking the OTG EACH TIME.

So, while playing tunes from an external HD is POSSIBLE, it is utterly problematic and impractical. 

Unless I'm doing something stupid, which is really quite likely.

:xf_eek:)

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #10,311 of 18,652
  While I sure as hell don't want to bore everyone to death... I'm going to post AGAIN about my OTG experiences.

This morning I tested the run time of my DX50 attached to a 1TB HD via a specialty cable (supposed I guess to charge (or maintain charge in the DX), AND power the HD to give OTG listening)).

I managed 1 hour 10 minutes playtime before the DX50 shut itself down due to a completely drained battery. So completely impracticable and unusable. Which is a little disappointing.

Additionally, adding the OTG drive and trying to scan the library was problematic, then REMOVING the OTG drive was really screwing with my library... when I tried to play music after removing the OTG it was trying to play tracks from the drive I had removed, even after re-scanning the internal memory card. It was leaving the legacy library on the menu, allowing the DX to select tracks that were no longer present.

So, while playing tunes from an external HD is POSSIBLE, it is utterly problematic and impractical. 

No, you're doing fine… what IS quite possible (and I do it very often) is use the Meenova adapter with an additional 64GB microSD card, which essentially doubles the storage capacity of the player, and is a very compact solution. Battery life is impaired, but a lot less than you're reporting (probably about 5-7 hours). 

On the other hand, with the improved scanning speed of FW 1.2.6 onwards, it's become quite feasible also to simply swap microsd cards if you want to change genre and/or peruse a larger (>64 GB) library. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #10,312 of 18,652

This is why I have stopped using my Meenova OTG thingy as well as it totally mucks up the database. OTG as I see it is only useable if you only browse by folder in which case it does not matter what the DX50 does to the database. Just filling sd cards and swapping them seems the best way to me

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #10,315 of 18,652

Same setup here, but I can really change the tips on the W4R… Im afraid Ill break the tube of the iem… :frowning2:

You should real try different tips. Turn the tips slowly and gently the tube is not that fragile :)
I hate the hiss from SE535 but I still like 535 more than W4R.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #10,316 of 18,652
  You should real try different tips. Turn the tips slowly and gently the tube is not that fragile :)
I hate the hiss from SE535 but I still like 535 more than W4R.

Are the tubes like screws? Need unscrew to remove? 

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #10,317 of 18,652
Not screws but that is the motion that is easiest to remove the tips

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #10,319 of 18,652
  No, you're doing fine… what IS quite possible (and I do it very often) is use the Meenova adapter with an additional 64GB microSD card, which essentially doubles the storage capacity of the player, and is a very compact solution. Battery life is impaired, but a lot less than you're reporting (probably about 5-7 hours). 

On the other hand, with the improved scanning speed of FW 1.2.6 onwards, it's become quite feasible also to simply swap microsd cards if you want to change genre and/or peruse a larger (>64 GB) library. 

This is why I have stopped using my Meenova OTG thingy as well as it totally mucks up the database. OTG as I see it is only useable if you only browse by folder in which case it does not matter what the DX50 does to the database. Just filling sd cards and swapping them seems the best way to me

I was REALLY hoping that I could use the OTG while at work to access a lovely large database of music (and possibly on holiday when I wanted to take a LOT of music with me). Which I can still do that of course, but it will have to be via a Laptop running WMP or other music playing software, NOT via my DX50.

Looks like I'll invest in a few 64gb cards and swap them in and out (probably the easiest solution, and swapping cards isn't a huge issue for me, despite wanting to have a large HD to use) to give me plenty of variety. 

It's just such a shame, because that feature (working properly) would have genuinely made the DX50 my DAP of all DAPs.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #10,320 of 18,652

Or you can use a microSD to full SD extender/adapter. Effectively doubles your storage by getting a 128GB SD card without any impact on battery life. The USB port remains free to recharge DX50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back