The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #10,351 of 18,652
I figure everyone who's done even minimal comparison would agree that any released firmware in the 1.2.x series sounds better than anything with a fruit logo and a name that starts with a lower case "i". There may be some changes along the way from v1.2.2 through 1.2.7. These changes are at most about 1.0 dB in the low end. An adult human being with average hearing probably won't notice the difference through casual listening assuming these differences actually exist. I put them all side by side as best as I could and I believe that I noticed the bass increase but that could simply be my own confirmation bias. Several Head-Fi'ers have posted frequency response graphs showing very flat response with v1.2.7 which supports my suspicions of confirmation bias.

My recommendation: install v1.2.7 if you haven't already, enjoy the music, and don't worry about sound signatures.

Hello,
No disrespect, but I do not agree with this. There is no comparison between the sound sig of 1.2.6, and 1.2.7. 1.2.6 wins hands down! On both my Westone 4cs and my re400s. The depth and air and width is completely different. I was listening to the DX50 with my re400s on the subway today in NYC and was blown away at how good tunes sound on it with 1.2.6. Ihope the new 1..2.8 can bring back the sound quality of 1.2.6 with the new fixed features!

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #10,352 of 18,652
My take on this is that if there are differences in sound between 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 (the only 2 firmware versions I have tried) they are so minute that I don't detect them in my rig playing hires flac. On the other hand the working gapless of 1.2.7 makes it infinately better to me than 1.2.6

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #10,353 of 18,652
What I observed is ...

if you go through each update, the changes are subtle that you will barely hear any difference. However, when I went back from 1.2.7 to 1.2.2, the difference is immediately noticeable.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #10,354 of 18,652
Hello,
No disrespect, but I do not agree with this. There is no comparison between the sound sig of 1.2.6, and 1.2.7. 1.2.6 wins hands down! On both my Westone 4cs and my re400s. The depth and air and width is completely different.

I have several thoughts on this. About half of them revolve around exaggeration of miniscule perceived changes which may have nothing whatsoever to do with the player itself (e.g., harshness from running the volume too high on the RE-400's). The rest are physical, emotional and sight biases which will affect your perceptions.

I for one can't reliably tell the difference in a quiet room with notoriously analytical studio monitors, same FLAC files and constant volume. Sonic sweeps that I used for rough separation measurements in versions v1.2.2 through v1.2.7 show that v1.2.6 and v1.2.7 have the same width within a small margin of error that I attribute to my own biases. How? I held out my arms and listened to how far the sound traveled in either direction. It's not the most rigorous of measurements (I did describe it as "rough") but it is measurable as opposed to a vague and subjective "air".

treal512 and anyone else who hasn't blocked me, yet,

Take your pick: my poor attempt at scientific analysis or The Maestro's hyperbole. :)

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #10,355 of 18,652
My apologies for my previous post concerning import duties, wasn't using my head. I will request/PM a moderator to remove my post and the quote. And "for Pete's Sake" please consider it was a mistake on my part and I am truly sorry.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #10,358 of 18,652
Hello,
No disrespect, but I do not agree with this. There is no comparison between the sound sig of 1.2.6, and 1.2.7. 1.2.6 wins hands down! On both my Westone 4cs and my re400s. The depth and air and width is completely different. I was listening to the DX50 with my re400s on the subway today in NYC and was blown away at how good tunes sound on it with 1.2.6. Ihope the new 1..2.8 can bring back the sound quality of 1.2.6 with the new fixed features!

Thank you for chiming in! It's nice to hear some of the perceived differences expressed for the most recent FWs.

My take on this is that if there are differences in sound between 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 (the only 2 firmware versions I have tried) they are so minute that I don't detect them in my rig playing hires flac. On the other hand the working gapless of 1.2.7 makes it infinately better to me than 1.2.6

While that may be the case for some, the sound signature trumps any sort of convenience factor for others.

I have several thoughts on this. About half of them revolve around exaggeration of miniscule perceived changes which may have nothing whatsoever to do with the player itself (e.g., harshness from running the volume too high on the RE-400's). The rest are physical, emotional and sight biases which will affect your perceptions.

I for one can't reliably tell the difference in a quiet room with notoriously analytical studio monitors, same FLAC files and constant volume. Sonic sweeps that I used for rough separation measurements in versions v1.2.2 through v1.2.7 show that v1.2.6 and v1.2.7 have the same width within a small margin of error that I attribute to my own biases. How? I held out my arms and listened to how far the sound traveled in either direction. It's not the most rigorous of measurements (I did describe it as "rough") but it is measurable as opposed to a vague and subjective "air".

@treal512 and anyone else who hasn't blocked me, yet,

Take your pick: my poor attempt at scientific analysis or The Maestro's hyperbole.
smily_headphones1.gif

Block you? Hah, I don't ever feel that feature to be necessary. I don't mind input from any side. However, I do appreciate when people perceive or think they perceive differences in sound. It should all be taken with a grain of salt, but when I have something to work with, that beats a list of features and people saying just get the most recent version and carry on
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #10,359 of 18,652
Hi, I'm planning to get a ibasso DX50 but I'm holding back because of the negative feedbacks about it.. I just want to ask if its now safe to buy and firmware is now stable? And can you guys help me what good amp/DAC will be a good partner with this? Will be using a vmoda m100 with this.. Thanks!

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #10,360 of 18,652
its very stable now and you really shouldnt have much fear purchasing the DX50 
beyersmile.png

Also, you wont need much amping for the m100

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #10,361 of 18,652
nc8000, as I have theorized before, FLAC and MP3s may not be evolving the same way between firmwares.

(I think that iBasso is going to have a growing problem if they don't switch to mature CODECs. Will Fiio be making this mistake with the X5? I doubt it. But it is hard to fix a problem if you refuse to acknowledge that it exists.)

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #10,364 of 18,652
While that may be the case for some, the sound signature trumps any sort of convenience factor for others.

To me at least functioning gapless is not a convenience factor but a necesity. At least half my albums are gapless, either live performances or concept albums but mostly classical music and a gap between tracks or the cross fade totally ruined the listening

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #10,365 of 18,652
You really should look into using the balanced output of the PB2, I find it to sound quite a lot better than the single ended one.

Sorry for the late response work has been a little crazy. I was contemplating going balanced, I will have to aquire a DB2 or other suitable balanced Dac. I have picked up what supplies I need to re-cable my Ath-esw9a cans and I do have some spare hirose connectors in my part supply. Would love to hear the difference between single ended and balanced.

I have a question about the DX50 and Otg adapters and cables. I've found that I can't leave a cable or adapter plugged in. The dap will not boot, so I have to boot and then attach the outboard storage. Is this normal?

Cheers,
Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back