The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 16, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #11,506 of 18,652

I just needed a confirmation and I was pulling your leg about the comment, we are all adults and if we choose to flash it then we are old and mature enough to deal with the consequences.

I did get this handle error twice (after each of your updates) trying to flash your firmware, maybe you are not getting it that does not mean someone won't.

Thanks for working on this though, it's always fun to have someone experimenting on firmware.

Edit: it displayed some status while flashing which sounded like an error but was not so the screen status was the same than the one for 1.2.8.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #11,507 of 18,652
+1 thanks for doc

And i just want to say that i find 1.2.8 with 1.2.6 more to my liking,

because i feel (just a feeling it may be all up in my head:D)

1.2.6 a tad more bassier, also the bigger sound stage of 1.2.2 tends to add some air behind vocals which i dont like.

And i dont find 1.2.6 muddy in anyway, i like how it sound uptil now, so i guess i will keep it on under testing.

Can everybody share their findings and opinion ?

Also anyone that can do those frequency charts and compare between the modded different builds just to be sure if changes are monitored because i would be too sad if it turns out i went crazy..

Thanks guys

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #11,509 of 18,652
^Yours has the latest released Ibasso one installed yesterday, thats a good place to start 
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #11,511 of 18,652
  I'll have the dx50 on Tuesday I think. Any recommendations on which firmware to start with?

^Yours has the latest released Ibasso one installed yesterday, thats a good place to start 
biggrin.gif

Good advice, the beauty with firmware is that you can change it if you don't like it. As you are aware, on the first page is the link to different versions which you can try but just keep in mind some are buggier than others.
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #11,513 of 18,652
Here is my impression (take this with a grain of salt)

Tried the following:

FW1.2.8
FWDOC2008V1
FWDOC2008V2

V1 has more neutral bass, mids feel flat
V2 bass sounds boosted & unnatural, mids are brighter, airy

FW1.2.8 bass is just a tad bassier than V1 and mids a tad less bright that V2 - sounds like FW1.2.8 is a winner overall.
biggrin.gif

Now this is what I think: If you could marry V1 bass with V2 mids, this could become an interesting contender to F1.2.8 and might sound closer to the X5 (mids will sound closer but the X5 seems to have an edge on the bass - feels more liquid).

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #11,515 of 18,652
This is an interesting game. I find it fascinating that the same hardware can change in sound with different software the way it does

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #11,517 of 18,652
Feb 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #11,518 of 18,652
I havent been following but you guys are installing firmwares from someone who just joined headfi? I guess the risk is less with the dx50 since it doesnt house any personal info like our smart phones but is the difference really noticeable that you would do that?  I guess I dont have golden ears because I rather wait for something a little more official.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #11,519 of 18,652
Its more along the lines of someone made the custom firmware and people on headfi found it. And somehow he found out about people on headfi talking about it so he made a headfi account to communicate with the people interested in his custom firmwares.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #11,520 of 18,652
  I havent been following but you guys are installing firmwares from someone who just joined headfi? I guess the risk is less with the dx50 since it doesnt house any personal info like our smart phones but is the difference really noticeable that you would do that?  I guess I dont have golden ears because I rather wait for something a little more official.

He has been posting the modded FW on another site and there's been activity on this forum that has taken notice.  Having said that, I've duplicated the process that is used to get the sound libraries interchanged between the various official DX50 firmware.  There's really no malicious intent in creating these modded firmware. All that is involved is to simply interchange sound libraries that are in previous firmware into the latest 1.2.8 firmware. Oh, and the different fonts have the same treatment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back