The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 19, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #17,356 of 18,652
  Are You talking about New docs favourite firmware ultimate final or New DOCs Ultimate Final Firmware? Or are they same? I remember trying one named Ultimate final but which one, idk. Anyway NDFFF sounded better to me. Probably personal preference and gear difference.

I meant the one in my signature. I think there is only one with the word "ultimate" in it. The highs of NDFFF are too fatiguing for me.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #17,358 of 18,652
quick question.  I just put on NDFFF on my player and was wondering what the limitations are on the types of files it plays?  Is it only flac and mp3?  the stock firmware pretty much plays them all, yes?

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #17,359 of 18,652
So right now you don't care about gapless and reply gain anymore?

I assume this is directed at me? Gapless was never a huge issue for me, I always shuffle my music. Plus, cue sheets work fantastically with Mango. Lack of replaygain really bothered me before I got an external amp. Now that adjusting the volume is easier I don't care as much. I think the sound is better and it supports hi-res files.

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #17,360 of 18,652
Hi,first time post for me.Wanted to thank all other posters for there input.
As a result i purchased a DX 50 instead of a Fiio X3ii.
Quick question.Is the Firmware 1.9.2 ok on this player.I asked Jabens to install it on the player before i purchased it to get an idea of SQ.Only using Flac files.I know SQ is a personal thing but have others tried FW 1.9.2 and prefered it to other FW on the DX50.
Thanks again.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #17,361 of 18,652
Maorijoe, changing DX50 firmware is very easy and I recommend You to try out some of the most popular firmwares mentioned in this thread yourself. Main questions are:
1) Do You care about gapless and are You using single file flac + cue sheet?
2) What kind of sound signature You prefer? Open/airy or more intimate/small soundstage? V-shaped sound or flat/neutral?

dragonsan16 , one thing I forgot to mention - it is VERY important when using SU 1.3.3 with single flac files + cue sheet: EVERY time after adding some new music, You MUST go to hidden bootup menu and set it to ALL and after that do rescan library! After that go again to hidden bootup menu and set it back to flac.
If You don`t do it, then gapless play wont work properly.
Just had this "problem" and I suddenly realized that I hadn`t done rescan library in ALL mode, after that gapless play with single flac file album + cue sheet works flawless again.

Try it. If this won`t fix Your gapless problem with SU then I don`t know how to help. Maybe there is something wrong with Your cue sheets then or something else...

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #17,362 of 18,652
Had a weird thing yesterday. Have been running 1.9.2 for a while now with no problems, then when I switched the DX50 on I found the volume had gone all the way to full, 255, without me doing it!  This was a surpise as I never have it that loud with my Senn. Momentums,  normally it's between 180 - 200 depending on music levels.

After the third time I did a factory reset and it's behaving itself again.

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #17,363 of 18,652
Thanks for replying Coil.
1.I dont care about gapless.Using single file Flack
2.Headphones i use are Q701 and Dt13150 portables.I like the sound signature of both of those cans.So would you say they were both flat/Netural.Im new to this so i dont really know how to descibe the sound from booth of these.But i like sound of these phones also with my Hisound Studio Aniversay 3 Dap.
So am i better trying a different Firmware than 1.9.2
as many people are doing for a different sound.
Thanks again Coil.

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #17,364 of 18,652
Then try SU 1.3.3 and try different settings from hidden bootup menu. If You don`t like it, tell us what You didn`t like and we can recommend other FW :wink:

Better than 1.9.2 ...YES! You can ask from other members too of course, just my opinion but I`m sure I`m not alone 
wink.gif

And if You have no idea about SU firmware, then let me remind it has hidden bootup menu from where You can choose some sound and format settings: 

Sound Unlocked has "Hidden" bootup menu. To access it You must:

1) Turn OFF DX50 
2) Slide HOLD button to ON/LOCKED position
3) Turn ON DX50 while hold button is still ON/LOCKED position
4) You will lauch into bootup menu where You can select different settings. Choose what You prefer.
    I recommend to start with FLAC/irr off/cpu default (for large airy soundstage) or FLAC/irr on/cpu 312 (for more intimate/foward soundstage)
5) Slide hold button to OFF position and player will return into UI using settings You selected. They will stay regardless restart/turn on-off until You change them.

1) FLAC-only + irr OFF + CPU performance default --- more depth towards front/middle and vocals for example more out of headstage.
    More airy soundstage/imaging and more dynamics.

2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.

...or test Your own setting and find what fits best, these are just 2 main different sounding settings to start with.

Download Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 from here: https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked/raw/master/releases/dx50_sound_unlocked_1.3.3.7z

And to make sure install and everything goes without problems:
  1. Delete everything on DX50 internal memory.
2. Unpack Sound Unlocked .7z file. Unpacked it says update.img - copy this to DX50 internal memory. Disconnect DX50 from PC.
3. Go to DX50 settings menu > Advanced > System update.
4. After install has finished and DX50 has rebooted connect to PC again and delete everything on internal memory. Disconnect from PC.
5. Go to DX50 settings menu > advanced > factory reset.
6. Sound Unlocked should be installed now and system info should show up as 1.5.0.
7. Now You can try settings from that hidden bootup menu.
8. Enjoy!

Edit: NB! Battery should be charged enough before updating!

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #17,366 of 18,652
................. dragonsan16 , one thing I forgot to mention - it is VERY important when using SU 1.3.3 with single flac files + cue sheet: EVERY time after adding some new music, You MUST go to hidden bootup menu and set it to ALL and after that do rescan library! After that go again to hidden bootup menu and set it back to flac.
If You don`t do it, then gapless play wont work properly.
Just had this "problem" and I suddenly realized that I hadn`t done rescan library in ALL mode, after that gapless play with single flac file album + cue sheet works flawless again.

Try it. If this won`t fix Your gapless problem with SU then I don`t know how to help. Maybe there is something wrong with Your cue sheets then or something else...

Aha.. the miracle come a bit late, i'll try later thanks..

Enough for me doing Doc's FW tour, finally revert back to SU 1.3.3 because i think it's the only perfect match FW for my gear. Hopefully CoiL's mentioned above will help.

------------------------

Btw, how to use DAC function? set usb settings to DAC mode, and what to install then? Just Asio4all?

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #17,368 of 18,652
Would there be any noticeable difference in the COAX out signal between the DX50 and DX90?  Thanks!

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #17,369 of 18,652
  Would there be any noticeable difference in the COAX out signal between the DX50 and DX90?  Thanks!

There shouldn't be. You are bypassing the DAC and amp when using COAX.

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #17,370 of 18,652
@CoiL i'm using cuetools to create single flac file, tried rescan library in ALL mode then go back to FLAC mode, seems works but if only i play the track 01. first, if i jump into another track in one album or other album (not play the 01. track first) then it cut off again.

Am i use wrong software? any idea to use another software? I found cuetools can't create single flac file from 24bit flac (hires) files, so how i can create single flac files from hires flac files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back