The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 20, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #17,371 of 18,652
I rip my CDs with EAC (wav + cue, for backup purposes) and convert to flac using FLAC frontend. It`s weird You are having such problem with cut-offs. I can go back and forth and change album, still works. But some albums I have in separate tracks do have this kind of problem, only few though. Maybe it`s somekind of pre-gap/gap setting thing during rip and creating cue sheet?

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #17,373 of 18,652
Honestly, I haven`t tried it because I don`t use and care about 24-bit. It`s pointless in digital re-production (recommend to take a in-depth look in this subject). This is my subjective and practical experience though and I do not want to start discussion about it.
But I should have some 24-bit music in my collection but I`m not sure if they are in separate tracks, will take a look later and try to convert them.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #17,374 of 18,652
  Hmmm... seems driver install is still needed and same problems like before (i posted somewhere in this thread about it already). 
1) Do not use setup.bat for installing drivers or result will be BSOD.
2) Before switching to DX50 with ASIO4All, it needs to be launched with internal or other DAC to disable all others and enable DX50 on panel, close player/ASIO4ALL panel and start again.
    If not done this way = BSOD.
3) 192kHz 24bit seems to have lag. 16/44 works ok.

I didnt know you had to actually activate it in the ASIO4ALL panel and any combo of trying to activate results in a BSOD for me. So a complete walk through would be handy on that part. 
Still at least DAC is actually working now. 

I also have a weird issue with SU. When a song starts playing it misses the 1st second of it so dont know what causes it as i dont think this was happening on 1.9.2 . This also happens on the DAC if no audio is playing.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #17,375 of 18,652
I also have a weird issue with SU.

Rescan library in ALL mode should help. 

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #17,376 of 18,652
Firmware.Did some listerning all day to the various Firmwares for the DX50.
Settled on 1.2.8 ibasso Firmware.
Sounds more natural too me on my AKG Q701,Beyer DT1350.I listern to alot of Pink Floyd and 1.2.8 sounds spot on with what i listern too.
Thanks again Coil for your input and the very handy step by step method of flashing the Firmware worked everytime.

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #17,377 of 18,652
You didn`t like SU 1.3.3 or any DOCs FW?

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #17,378 of 18,652
Which of all firmware flavors supports "ReplayGain". I thought DOCs Ultimate, but for the life of me I cannot remember nor where I found spec sheets for all of them...

Please post the info if you have it of the top of your head.

Thank you.

Cheers.

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #17,379 of 18,652
Which of all firmware flavors supports "ReplayGain". I thought DOCs Ultimate, but for the life of me I cannot remember nor where I found spec sheets for all of them...

Please post the info if you have it of the top of your head.

Thank you.

Cheers.

Only Rockbox supports replaygain unfortunately.

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #17,381 of 18,652
Dear DX50 users,

I am planning to order my own DX50 soon. I have some question regarding the player and I would be very grateful if you could help me by giving me some information/oppinion.

• How would you rate DX50's ability to play classical music?
  • Has anyone tried using a Samsung S4 battery instead of S3? (People are saying the S3 battery fits into the S4)
  • If there are HiFiman HE-500 users, do you find the amplifier in DX50 to be sufficient to power these cans? Say, to 80-85 dB? How does this couple sound with classical?
  • Any AKG or HD600 users here? How do they sound with this DAP?
  • Has anybody seen a THD+N vs. Power plot for DX50? If so, could you please share it?

If there are any other warnings, peculiarities regarding DX50 I would be happy to know about them 
redface.gif

I am sorry if any of my questions addresses already answered queries, but I feel I might start hating this DAP after having read 1100 pages..

Regards,
U6astik

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #17,382 of 18,652
Coil in regards to Firmwarei tried SU 1.3.3 and the 3 versions of Doc and then after going back through previous posts tried 1.2.8.
And that was the sound signature for me.I have alot of time to listern as im retired and live in Bali so i gave the others a pretty good listern.As i said the step by step guide was fool proof.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #17,383 of 18,652
  Dear DX50 users,

I am planning to order my own DX50 soon. I have some question regarding the player and I would be very grateful if you could help me by giving me some information/oppinion.

• How would you rate DX50's ability to play classical music?
  • Has anyone tried using a Samsung S4 battery instead of S3? (People are saying the S3 battery fits into the S4)
  • If there are HiFiman HE-500 users, do you find the amplifier in DX50 to be sufficient to power these cans? Say, to 80-85 dB? How does this couple sound with classical?
  • Any AKG or HD600 users here? How do they sound with this DAP?
  • Has anybody seen a THD+N vs. Power plot for DX50? If so, could you please share it?

If there are any other warnings, peculiarities regarding DX50 I would be happy to know about them 
redface.gif

I am sorry if any of my questions addresses already answered queries, but I feel I might start hating this DAP after having read 1100 pages..

Regards,
U6astik

Hi!

1. It lacks in several departments to deliver top notch performance for classical music, but is very decent overall. It under-performs in: 1) sound stage and imaging 2) overall dynamics and textured low end. For example if I listen to the same recording through the DX50 and the Galaxy Note 4 I would prefer the DX50 for sure but if I compare the same recording with the Ifi idsd micro I wouldn't ever settle listening to it on the DX50 again.
2. No idea
3. No. It will drive them, but it will not deliver enough power and sound quality to make them sound the way they should. It is not sufficient to drive them to their possibilities - it can't do that for the HE 400i, so even more so for the HE 500. If you want to hear the HE 500 performance and give them real justice you need much more juice and much higher fidelity out of the source.

The DX50 works great with studio monitors and other dynamic headphones. It sounds gorgeous with vocal music, jazz, country, world/ethno. It is fun for pop music. It lacks low end performance for techno music and classical music and it lacks fidelity and imaging for classical music in my personal opinion. Still it delivers great opera just in a more intimate presentation and not so layered and accurate.

Cheers!

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #17,384 of 18,652
Coil in regards to Firmwarei tried SU 1.3.3 and the 3 versions of Doc and then after going back through previous posts tried 1.2.8.
And that was the sound signature for me.I have alot of time to listern as im retired and live in Bali so i gave the others a pretty good listern.As i said the step by step guide was fool proof.

Let me suggest - if you prefer 1.2.8 over SU 1.3.3 - you will probably enjoy the SUEX - it shares the 1.2.8 signature/character but is even more dynamic, with even better bass response and at the same time it is refined and more detailed without ever being sibilant.
Please let us all know what are your impressions if you try it.

Cheers and enjoy!

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #17,385 of 18,652
Do we have an area where all the firmware revisions (not just the official ones) are listed and with links for their downloads?  Wanting to try a few different ones but cannot find anyone who has listed them with their links.  I have not tried SUEX yet and a few of the others.  cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back