The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 17, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #17,326 of 18,652
  About bass impact You are right... it`s DX50 main fault. While EQ may improve it littlebit, there are some more effective ways to fix it:
1) Change HO capacitors - most effective and great overall SQ improvement
2) Change to custom firmware - SUEX for example has best bass impact but it is littlebit buggy and based on old 1.2.8 fw.
3) Use portable amp instead HO - most expensive and costs additional room to carry around + charging but power hungy HP/IEMs can benefit.

Most bass impact You get out of option 1 + 2 I think but depends what amp is compared. 
EQ can raise bass quantity but not much help in bass/kick impact/presence/tightness... it`s just those crappy sounding HO capacitors DX50 is using (WHEN are You going to learn iBasso???).

I just don't understand why folks do not like the Bass on the dx50.
I use to play Bass and i think the Bass on the dx50 is not bad.
I see you like to tinker  I would just buy another dap that has the bass i want, i do enough tinkering on my PC'S.lol
My problem with the dx50 is the FW, how it on certain FW does not see my FLAC WAVA files.
I bought the MSR7 for my commute and it goes fine withe dx50.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #17,327 of 18,652
I just don't understand why folks do not like the Bass on the dx50.
I see you like to tinker  I would just buy another dap that has the bass i want, i do enough tinkering on my PC'S.lol
My problem with the dx50 is the FW, how it on certain FW does not see my FLAC WAVA files.
I bought the MSR7 for my commute and it goes fine withe dx50.:D

I also have some .ape file that can't be played on Mango but played fine on Rb. Though personally I just convert them to .flac anw.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #17,328 of 18,652
Owned the DX50 for 3 months now and not a single update. Not really impressed with the blue screen of death issue as it renders it useless for something that is a key feature and is advertised as such. It would be nice to be able to use my headphones volume control be it they are made for android and this is a android device and for some reason my songs seem to play from where they left off and there's no option to change it. Its still a great player because of its hardware but the software side is shocking. 

Edit. Just seen the Sound unlocked firmware. Trying now! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #17,329 of 18,652
  Owned the DX50 for 2 months now and not a single update. Not really impressed with the blue screen of death issue as it renders it useless for something that is a key feature and is advertised as such. It would be nice to be able to use my headphones volume control be it they are made for android and this is a android device and for some reason my songs seem to play from where they left off and there's no option to change it. Its still a great player because of its hardware but the software side is shocking.

Well you can try out rockbox as for the run time issue, to me it is bug-free at least (though I prefer the 1.3.3 sound), and on iBasso fb page they said new driver are coming soon (also new FW that allow DAC USB works driverless for Linux and MAC, but only 48kHz). The volume control one is hardware-related (3-pin jack) rather than Android so can't help you there. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #17,330 of 18,652

About bass impact You are right... it`s DX50 main fault. While EQ may improve it littlebit, there are some more effective ways to fix it:
1) Change HO capacitors - most effective and great overall SQ improvement
2) Change to custom firmware - SUEX for example has best bass impact but it is littlebit buggy and based on old 1.2.8 fw.
3) Use portable amp instead HO - most expensive and costs additional room to carry around + charging but power hungy HP/IEMs can benefit.

Most bass impact You get out of option 1 + 2 I think but depends what amp is compared. 
EQ can raise bass quantity but not much help in bass/kick impact/presence/tightness... it`s just those crappy sounding HO capacitors DX50 is using (WHEN are You going to learn iBasso???).

For what it counts... I also used to play bass guitar for about 9years, have had 2 bands (one melodic gothic metal and other progressive instrumental rock) and been in studio recording. For me bass/kick tightness and presence is not quite right. It is ok but that`s it. 
If I compare DX50 HO section with all the other stuff I have at home it becomes even clearer. 
When I go out to listen some concerts, especially smaller ones with good acoustic room properties, then for example contrabass is most noticeable thing that DX50 can`t hold up to, especially fast-slap contrabass.

IMSO

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #17,331 of 18,652
  Well you can try out rockbox as for the run time issue, to me it is bug-free at least (though I prefer the 1.3.3 sound), and on iBasso fb page they said new driver are coming soon (also new FW that allow DAC USB works driverless for Linux and MAC, but only 48kHz). The volume control one is hardware-related (3-pin jack) rather than Android so can't help you there. 

Thanks. I cant get on with rockbox although it is a theme problem rather then actual software. I run windows so will still need a driver and i dont mind it being 48khz as long as it doesnt crash the pc! I thought 3pin was just for the mic but having looked it up seen its mic/control so you learn something new every day.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #17,332 of 18,652
Hrm just tried to use the sound unlocked firmware which worked fine to begin then went to go back to the SU menu but just came up with backlight and nothing on screen. Rebooting did nothing so plugged in USB which seem to cause the screen to come on but factory reset or reflashing firmware doesnt work. 

Update: So if its in the main UI and i press power the screen comes on but once it powers off I cant see anything. So cant see system update screen or factory reset. Just flashed back to 1.9.2 and the problem remains so dont know what caused it. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #17,333 of 18,652
Hi All...

I'm a newbie in this forum, just wanna share my expression on the FW 1.9.2, its simply the most amazing sound I have ever heard from my portable setup... Although the UI still have some bugs, the sound is so addictive...  Thanks...

http://postimg.org/image/h1neewobf/

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #17,334 of 18,652
  But don`t forget to access hidden bootup menu and set it to lossless or FLAC-only mode (If You are using lossless files) and try different irr+cpu settings. Recommend to start with FLAC-only + IRR off + CPU default. If You like more intimate soundstage with more separation in width, then IRR ON + CPU 312.

But I recommend to try DOC`s FW`s too. New Docs Favourite Firmware Final version is also very good if You like more larger soundstage and imaging :wink: 

If DOC would only make version of it with only tad smoother/dynamic highs... oh man, it would be endgame FW imo ;P
I haven`t tried surround version yet but will do it right away.

As a long time fan of Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 (flac-only, irr off, cpu default), I tried NDFFF for some days and it has amazing soundstage size and air between instruments/sounds, everything is so pushed apart and transparent. But unfortunately for me there is something littlebit "off" with highs (causes littlebit fatigue for my high-sensitive ears/brain) and kicks also have littlebit weird "spike" on top of "thump" hit. Hard to explain but sounds somewhat unnatural. Despite all those "issues" my pedantic ears/brain detects, definitely recommend to try it for large soundstage & "out of head" imaging lovers.

Going back to SU 1.3.3 and everything went back to very natural and balanced sounding with nothing excess or short. 
Soundstage is also large and natural but only tad less airy/extended than with NDFFF.
IMHO, Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 is like reference FW for DX50 :wink: 

But I have to admit, I might have "fallen in love" littlebit with DOC`s NFFF. Maybe it will fit better with my soon to arrive HAVI B3 Pro1 regarding highs. That would be awesome! But Piston V2.1 and Fidelio X1 also sound very good with NDFFF.

Ok, enough... going to try out that surround version now. But always before installing DOC`s FW be sure to check his FW list... it is endlessly renewing itself! ;D

Edit: Ok, tried that NDFFF surround edition and didn`t impress me with "improvements". Not sure yet but I think NDFFF is better.
       Atm going to try new sound explosion grand final.

Edit2: I think NSE grand final is better than NDFFF surround edition but NDFFF is better than both.
       Will experiment more between different editions. These are just short initial impressions.

Edit3: NDFFFinal > NSE Grand Final > NDFFF Surround Edition. Though I really like NDFFF, I must revert to Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 again, because of highs. Pity, I really think DOC would nail it if highs would be tad smoother/dynamic.

After reading this so i completely have bad dilemma. I love the sound of SU 1.3.3 but i need "Gapless" because without it my songs (not all) always cutoff in the beginning of tracks, tried with single flac and cuesheet file but didn't work. Tried the NDFFF but your mentions make me confused, still brain burn with NDFFF now, don't know which is sounds better but the ''Gapless On'' definitely solved my problem. I have modified my headphone cable so the high is not fatigue anymore, but your mentions (fatigue high in NDFFF) make my brain confused..

Question for RED : is there any "FW that you want" today?

Question for BLUE : which is the newest famous DOC firmware? afaik the NDFFF is the famous one

What about DOC Sound Explosion series? is the Doc Sound Explosion 3rd edition good?

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #17,335 of 18,652
I think latest from DOC that I have tried are New Docs Favourite Firmware Ultimate Final and New Docs Favourite Firmware Final Surround Edition and I think one more which exact name I don`t remember atm (those names are quite confusing, I would change naming scheme If I were him).

That text in red & blue don`t quite apply anymore to my DX50 because it was before upgrading capacitors.
But answer for:
*Red - No. I have totally settled on SU 1.3.3 because I made my capacitors testing and choosing with it and this combination is best I`ve hear out of DX50, doubt any newer DOC`s fw will be able to beat it. But yes, if You`re with stock caps then newer DOCs FWs may bring improvement.

*Blue - atm, honestly, I don`t know.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #17,336 of 18,652
Ok so i went back to 1.9.2 and over time the weird glitch seems to sort itself out. Don't know what caused it.

Update: Went to SU 1.3.3 .Lossless. IRR Bandwidth ticked . CPU 408. Is just amazing on my Sennheiser M2's

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #17,337 of 18,652
  I think latest from DOC that I have tried are New Docs Favourite Firmware Ultimate Final and New Docs Favourite Firmware Final Surround Edition and I think one more which exact name I don`t remember atm (those names are quite confusing, I would change naming scheme If I were him).

That text in red & blue don`t quite apply anymore to my DX50 because it was before upgrading capacitors.
But answer for:
*Red - No. I have totally settled on SU 1.3.3 because I made my capacitors testing and choosing with it and this combination is best I`ve hear out of DX50, doubt any newer DOC`s fw will be able to beat it. But yes, if You`re with stock caps then newer DOCs FWs may bring improvement.

*Blue - atm, honestly, I don`t know.

But would you mind to try the DX50_NEW_SOUND_EXPLOSION_3rd_EDITION_BY_DOC2008 and compare to SU 1.3.3 ?

For me they both sounds quite similiar,  and the high didn't fatiguing as in NDFFF.. if you feel so, then i'll use the Sound Explosion 3rd Ed. because i need the Gapless and the sound of SU 1.3.3.. can't sleep before my dilemma solved
frown.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #17,338 of 18,652

But would you mind to try the DX50_NEW_SOUND_EXPLOSION_3rd_EDITION_BY_DOC2008 and compare to SU 1.3.3 ?

For me they both sounds quite similiar,  and the high didn't fatiguing as in NDFFF.. if you feel so, then i'll use the Sound Explosion 3rd Ed. because i need the Gapless and the sound of SU 1.3.3.. can't sleep before my dilemma solved
frown.gif

Why are you asking someone else which firmware sounds better? If you can't tell, use whichever provides the features you need.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #17,339 of 18,652
@tackytiger for me SQ still number 1, i'm just curious is there any FW that support gapless also sounds near the SU 1.3.3 because i think the SU 1.3.3 sounds best with my DX50 with capacitors upgrade. I ask him because he did capacitors upgrade too, though with different caps but i'm sure the improvements are quite the same.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #17,340 of 18,652
Uh Oh... maybe will try tonight but won`t promise anything, I`m tired atm from working and my psychoacoustic judgement may suffer (switch between FWs) . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back