The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 12, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #901 of 6,859
What would you use an adapter like that for? It wouldn't convert a standard cable to a balanced cable.

There are several fairly inexpensive balanced cables available on AliExpress, you could use one of those and then get a converter to a 3.5mm jack if what you wanted to plug it into didn't have a balanced in. I have a few different cables I bought from there, they are a little nicer than the balanced cable that comes with the Fiio FH1s. They're a little thicker wires and I think they have a nicer sound.

Are those balanced cables compliant with Etymotic ER4PT?

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #902 of 6,859
exactly! That was what i meant too you know.

I knew that was exactly what you meant! :ok_hand::L3000:

Yes, here is what I use.

URL:
https://www.amazon.com/L26-Female-B...=UTF8&qid=1523550642&sr=1-1&keywords=FiiO+L26

You want to use Fiio's balanced cable and then connect it to a 3.5mm single ended port. Basically going from balanced to single ended. This little adapter works great!

That's one of the two I have, and it's pretty nice. I have another that is all-in-one without the wire (got it from eBay) that I use more often, since it's about the same length as one plug end of the Fiio adapter, and it seems a little more rugged. I get that it adds to the length that's plugged into the balanced jack, but It's really not that much longer.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #903 of 6,859
Are those balanced cables compliant with Etymotic ER4PT?
They have a variety of connectors, but I'm not sure if any of them support the "different" 2-pin connectors of the Etys. I'd suggest contacting some of the sellers (I think at least one of my cables is from ****) and see what they can do. I sent them a message to confirm which version of the cables would work for me, and they were quick to respond.

EDIT: I can't get to Ali from work, but they do appear to have cables that support the Ety connectors, and they do make balanced, so maybe they have a cable that does both.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #904 of 6,859
It is not desirable to covert a SE cable to balanced by way of an adapter. It has the risk of frying your amp stage.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #905 of 6,859
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #906 of 6,859
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, my solution above takes a balanced cable with a 2.5mm trrs jack and converts it to a singled end 3.5mm TRS plug. I looked at your ER4PT IEMs and it looks like those come with a non-detachable single ended cable. So unfortunately my solution above won't work for you.

You can go from a balanced cable to single-ended but not from a single ended to a balanced cable. You cannot convert a single ended connection to a balanced connection as there is no way to untie the ground wires.

So unfortunately, your ER4PT IEMs can only use single ended 1/8" or 1/4" jacks. You have to use headphones that are wired for balanced connections. So for IEMs you need a model that has a detachable cable design with MMCX connectors. (i.e. Fiio FH1, iBasso IT01, or Shure Se215s). Then you can get a balanced MMCX cable terminated with a 2.5mm trrs balanced jack. If you were to buy an adapter that takes you from a 3.5mm trs single ended to a 2.5mm trrs plug it would damage your amp or your DAP player. (there are some less than reputable cable makers on the internet I've seen make these) You don't want to purchase these adapters.

Here is a good article from Moon Audio that explains balanced vs. single ended connections:

https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection

Very important to understand this so you don't ruin your amplifier or DAP player.

Sorry I thought you were trying to go from a balanced to a single ended cable connection. (2.5mm trrs female to 3.5mm trs male connection)

I have the Fiio FH1 IEMs and they come standard with 2 separate detachable MMCX headphone cables. A single ended MMCX cable terminated with a single ended trs 3.5mm plug and a balanced MMCX cable terminated with a 2.5mm trrs plug. This gives me the option of using the FH1s with either the balanced or single ended output jack on the Hiby R3. I actually just use the balanced cable and when I need to plug it into a single ended amp, I just use the short Fiio L26 adapter which takes the 2.5mm trrs balanced connection and converts it to a 3.5mm trs single ended jack.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #907 of 6,859
^ This, you can find an adapter for 2.5 balanced to 3.5 SE my mee cable kit had one. You can't go from SE (3.5) to balanced- it will short out the other grounded lead on the balanced and could damage the amp.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #908 of 6,859
Apr 12, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #909 of 6,859
20180413_093604.jpg
20180413_093757.jpg
20180413_093700_001.jpg

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #910 of 6,859
Can line-out mode be used while the R3 is functioning as a USB DAC on Windows? Curious as I'm considering picking up a Fiio A5 amp to go along with the R3.

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #912 of 6,859
^ This, you can find an adapter for 2.5 balanced to 3.5 SE my mee cable kit had one. You can't go from SE (3.5) to balanced- it will short out the other grounded lead on the balanced and could damage the amp.
They have a variety of connectors, but I'm not sure if any of them support the "different" 2-pin connectors of the Etys. I'd suggest contacting some of the sellers (I think at least one of my cables is from ****) and see what they can do. I sent them a message to confirm which version of the cables would work for me, and they were quick to respond.

EDIT: I can't get to Ali from work, but they do appear to have cables that support the Ety connectors, and they do make balanced, so maybe they have a cable that does both.

It is not desirable to covert a SE cable to balanced by way of an adapter. It has the risk of frying your amp stage.

What do we know about the differences between 3.5 and 2.5mm analog outputs? Do they share the same qualities?

edit: I have found useful info about balanced vs unbalanced from some engineers' perspective. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/balanced-vs-single-ended-poll.576339/

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, my solution above takes a balanced cable with a 2.5mm trrs jack and converts it to a singled end 3.5mm TRS plug. I looked at your ER4PT IEMs and it looks like those come with a non-detachable single ended cable. So unfortunately my solution above won't work for you.

You can go from a balanced cable to single-ended but not from a single ended to a balanced cable. You cannot convert a single ended connection to a balanced connection as there is no way to untie the ground wires.

So unfortunately, your ER4PT IEMs can only use single ended 1/8" or 1/4" jacks. You have to use headphones that are wired for balanced connections. So for IEMs you need a model that has a detachable cable design with MMCX connectors. (i.e. Fiio FH1, iBasso IT01, or Shure Se215s). Then you can get a balanced MMCX cable terminated with a 2.5mm trrs balanced jack. If you were to buy an adapter that takes you from a 3.5mm trs single ended to a 2.5mm trrs plug it would damage your amp or your DAP player. (there are some less than reputable cable makers on the internet I've seen make these) You don't want to purchase these adapters.

Here is a good article from Moon Audio that explains balanced vs. single ended connections:

https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection

Very important to understand this so you don't ruin your amplifier or DAP player.

Sorry I thought you were trying to go from a balanced to a single ended cable connection. (2.5mm trrs female to 3.5mm trs male connection)

I have the Fiio FH1 IEMs and they come standard with 2 separate detachable MMCX headphone cables. A single ended MMCX cable terminated with a single ended trs 3.5mm plug and a balanced MMCX cable terminated with a 2.5mm trrs plug. This gives me the option of using the FH1s with either the balanced or single ended output jack on the Hiby R3. I actually just use the balanced cable and when I need to plug it into a single ended amp, I just use the short Fiio L26 adapter which takes the 2.5mm trrs balanced connection and converts it to a 3.5mm trs single ended jack.

Thanks to all of you for the excellent explanations, I really appreciate them; I got it, you can go from balanced cable to SE, but not reverse.
And I nee to get IEMs with MMCX headphone cables to get both, single ended and balancded.
So, in this line, you mentioned Shure brand, any model in particular?

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #913 of 6,859
Thanks to all of you for the excellent explanations, I really appreciate them; I got it, you can go from balanced cable to SE, but not reverse.
And I nee to get IEMs with MMCX headphone cables to get both, single ended and balancded.
So, in this line, you mentioned Shure brand, any model in particular?
You might want to take a look at the Brainwavz iems also, the B400 is particularly good and has a thread on here worth looking at!

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #914 of 6,859
You might want to take a look at the Brainwavz iems also, the B400 is particularly good and has a thread on here worth looking at!

Great recommendation! Looking at iBasso IT01 as well
When visited brainwavz.com I also saw B200 with the upgrade option of balanced cable 2.5mm with a total of $115, that makes a great price pairing with R3
B400 with balanced cable upgraded adds at least $100 over B200 price, do you think it is worth this difference?

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #915 of 6,859
Great recommendation! Looking at iBasso IT01 as well
When visited brainwavz.com I also saw B200 with the upgrade option of balanced cable 2.5mm with a total of $115, that makes a great price pairing with R3
B400 with balanced cable upgraded adds at least $100 over B200 price, do you think it is worth this difference?
Im using the B400 with my Pioneer xdp300 (balanced) and it sounds great to me, however i dont have the B200 to compare it to. Sorry i cant help you any more :frowning2: although AliExpress is always good for cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back