The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #4,771 of 6,859
I apologize If this is a dumb question but is there a way for someone without a 3D printer to purchase one of those cases?

By the way, I’m impressed by the case and that someone took the initiative to design and create it. Kudos!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #4,772 of 6,859
I bought it. I’d like to know if you’d think about making one with openings for the USB wire to travel inside the case and back out the other side. There should be room between, on the side as the Mojo has little feet and both devices have curved edges. That allows for the Mojo to be mounted 180°, so the headphone jacks could be pointed down. That way I can put it in my pocket with the R3 top facing down and the headphone wire on the Mojo pointing up and out of the pocket. Anyone could still mount the Mojo normally as the clamps holding the case together would still attach either way the user wanted.

Currently I need to flip the whole thing around to look at the screen every time I take it out, and then again I must flip it around again to place it back in my pocket.

Also the case around Mojo headphone jacks holes could use a little extra meat/plastic next to the outside edge close to where the clips go under. The clips crate pressure right there, where there is the least material. Mine alredy broke there the first day. The 3D printer I used warned me about it. But I don’t know anything about 3D design.

Just some ideas.

Thank you for the wonderful case.

Hi Julien! Thanks for the feedback! :ksc75smile:
I will think about it this week and see if I can come up with a solution!
Let me just answer the part about the stability here in the forum: It is crucial to use the right material for the print, in this case PETG as pointed out in the description on Cults3D.
This is similar to the material of plastic bottles, tough and somewhat elastic and my cases so far are holding up without a sign of weakness.
Anyway, I will look into it and reply to you privately.

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #4,773 of 6,859
I apologize If this is a dumb question but is there a way for someone without a 3D printer to purchase one of those cases?

Thanks for the encouragement! It was a challenge but I really like the result.
You can look for 3D printing services on the internet. I checked costs at 3Dhubs and they offered printing of the case between Euro 50 and Euro 300 (for aluminum!) depending on material and technology. I printed it myself in PETG, a very interesting alternative is Nylon in SLS (selective laser sintering) technology, which costs the same and should be very high quality and very tough, but only comes in white I think.

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #4,777 of 6,859
Hi, is R3's sound output quality is better than standalone portable dacs like dragon fly or ultrasone naos? can anyone suggest?

Seems like kind of a moot question considering the near infinite SQ adjustments provided by the MSEB controls.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #4,779 of 6,859
hi thanks for the reply. got your point. so can i use it as an usb dac with my tablet?

BTW i saw your sig. you have M0 as well. how does it compare to R3?
Yes, it can be used as a USB Dac if your tablet supports USB out. The M0 and the R3 have really 2 different uses. For out and about, I prefer the small size of the M0 and again, because of the small size, it can function as a very stealth Bluetooth receiver. The R3 offers many more options such as expanded DSP capability, balanced output and built-in Tidal via WiFi. Because of different uses and capabilities, I will for sure keep both.
Build quality on both is superb. The plastic protector included with the R3 pretty much negates the requirement for the leather case, whereas I consider the M0 case a very worthwhile option. If size is not a major consideration, the R3 at the holiday pricing of $149 is very hard to pass up given its capabilities and SQ. If ultimate stealth along with great sound ranks high on your list, the M0 is as good as it gets!

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #4,780 of 6,859
Hi. I bought Hiby r3 and was disappointed its sound. It haves too much bass and narrow stage. In my opinion even Shanling m1 have more wide stage. Now I am going to sell R3 and buy Hidizs Ap80. What do you think? Is it a good idea or mistake?

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #4,781 of 6,859
Seems like kind of a moot question considering the near infinite SQ adjustments provided by the MSEB controls.

Not my experience.
In my opinion the EQ options of the R3 change the sound, but there is an underlying signature that I find a bit overprocessed.
Like a photo that has been processed with an HD algorithm, with enhanced contrast and bolder colors, somewhat artificially smoothed texture and sharpened edges. Tastes are certainly different but it‘s not my taste. I tried to improve the SQ with MEB but didn‘t work for me.

I compared it to the cheaper Cayin N3 and whole the Cayin does not have the clarity and boldness of the HiBy, it has a more natural balance.

I use the HiBy as source for the Chord Mojo and enjoy it a lot as transport, also tried to use it as DAP, but miss the smooth, detailed, engaging deep and natural Mojo sound everytime I do.

Long story short, in it‘s class the HiBy does it‘s style very well, but I would recommend it only to people who look more for bold than for natural sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back