The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 24, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #2,716 of 6,859
So if I want to buy a hiby r3, what is my best choice? Getting one from taobao or waiting for it to release in the US? Does anyone know when it will release in the US?

Waiting for US release is the better option.

From first page:
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR CHINESE VERSIONS OF THE R3 And TIDAL - 5/22/2018
It has just come to HIBY's attention that developments in IP rights disputes between TIDAL, record companies and China have made it so that TIDAL cannot legally be used in China. As such, firmware updates to Chinese edition R3's will NEVER include TIDAL, nor any future streaming clients falling in the same kind of situation, and there will be measures to prevent the cross-flashing of Chinese edition R3's with international firmware--this despite any claims to the otherwise I may have made in public or in private. :triportsad: Sorry guys. :triportsad:
NOTE: The International Versions, sold via Kickstarter, will still TIDAL. The offline Storage feature is not being allowed by TIDAL.
On a Positive Note, After good discussions with 2 Other Streaming Service Companies, 2 new streaming services may become available on the R3 in future firmware. Per Joe Bloggs

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #2,718 of 6,859
I didn’t notice a hiss, but it just wasn’t right, like a the clarity was lost, it was a little distorted maybe?

Too be honest, I really don’t like AP200, for a lot of reasons, and the sounds one of them... I think the R3 has a smoth warm sound, but the AP200 seems (to my ears) be a little more dynamic... I’m almost thinking it’s the R3s amp stage that needs a little more omph.

Funny you mention the lack of oomph. I didn't really think much of the R3 at a certain stage (tried it with an alo rx amp into my dn2000) but lo and behold, going balanced really opens up the staging and sound. It's a totally different experience.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #2,719 of 6,859
Waiting for US release is the better option.

From first page:
Could be a LONG wait if the Kickstarter shipping's anything to go by! :frowning2:

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #2,720 of 6,859
Amateur thoughts on the HiBy R3 vs Chord Poly paired with the Chord Mojo. To preface this, I was a little surprised that there was a difference between the two as I had thought they both transmitted bit perfect digital signals to the Chord Mojo. I know the Poly does, so perhaps the R3 doesn't and does perform a bit of a pre-processing, I don't know. The Chord Mojo does correctly highlight the bitrates of music files though when using the R3. Perhaps it's the connectivity, the R3 uses coaxial while the Poly uses MicroUSB. Perhaps the internal wiring, with maybe more copper on the Poly? I don't know.

In any event, the Poly sounds warmer than the R3 and as a result the R3 sounds a little more distant and analytical, not as emotional. The Poly sounds more intimate and immersive and feels like it could draw you in for longer. However, another effect of the R3's brighter signature is that layering is more evident, with a slightly wider but not necessarily deeper soundstage. This has its own appeal and plays very nicely for instrumentals and classical music. The Poly, for some reason I can't explain, seems to have more mid-bass than the R3.

Pros and cons, pros and cons. Neither of them are bad, just different sound signatures. Notably though the Poly is almost 3.5 times more expensive so many points in R3's favour here. I'll probably give them both two weeks of listening each and then sell off one. I wonder which it'll be..

PS: Is it just me or there's no search function on the R3?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2,721 of 6,859
IMG_20180624_212128.jpg

Twas a good day. Shall have some ear time once the kiddo goes to sleep

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,722 of 6,859
Amateur thoughts on the HiBy R3 vs Chord Poly paired with the Chord Mojo. To preface this, I was a little surprised that there was a difference between the two as I had thought they both transmitted bit perfect digital signals to the Chord Mojo. I know the Poly does, so perhaps the R3 doesn't and does perform a bit of a pre-processing, I don't know. The Chord Mojo does correctly highlight the bitrates of music files though when using the R3. Perhaps it's the connectivity, the R3 uses coaxial while the Poly uses MicroUSB. Perhaps the internal wiring, with maybe more copper on the Poly? I don't know.

In any event, the Poly sounds warmer than the R3 and as a result the R3 sounds a little more distant and analytical, not as emotional. The Poly sounds more intimate and immersive and feels like it could draw you in for longer. However, another effect of the R3's brighter signature is that layering is more evident, with a slightly wider but not necessarily deeper soundstage. This has its own appeal and plays very nicely for instrumentals and classical music. The Poly, for some reason I can't explain, seems to have more mid-bass than the R3.

Pros and cons, pros and cons. Neither of them are bad, just different sound signatures. Notably though the Poly is almost 3.5 times more expensive so many points in R3's favour here. I'll probably give them both two weeks of listening each and then sell off one. I wonder which it'll be..

That’s very interesting, thanks for sharing! I will pair Mojo with R3 as well, and I’ll have both the HiBy coax cable and the Shanling micro-USB cable.
I guess I will have to compare the two, even if I didn’t expect them to make a difference...
But I once had a similar experience with the FIIO Q1MKII, listening to the exact same files from iPad Pro and iPhone SE, the iPad always sounded clearly better, no matter what I tried.
With Mojo I didn't recognize any differences, it always sounds very good. to my ears :L3000:

Jun 24, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #2,723 of 6,859
Hmmmmm. Mine has said "Shipment information received" for over a week now. Anyone else's saying the same thing?

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,724 of 6,859
Hmmmmm. Mine has said "Shipment information received" for over a week now. Anyone else's saying the same thing?

My unit still hasn't materialized in the DHL system, still only shipping info:

Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Location Time Pieces
1 Shipment information received HONG KONG - HONG KONG 17:12

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #2,725 of 6,859
That’s very interesting, thanks for sharing! I will pair Mojo with R3 as well, and I’ll have both the HiBy coax cable and the Shanling micro-USB cable.
I guess I will have to compare the two, even if I didn’t expect them to make a difference...
But I once had a similar experience with the FIIO Q1MKII, listening to the exact same files from iPad Pro and iPhone SE, the iPad always sounded clearly better, no matter what I tried.
With Mojo I didn't recognize any differences, it always sounds very good. to my ears :L3000:

I originally purchase the R3 to go with the Mojo, primarily because I was using the Poly and was pretty unhappy with it.

Little by little, while waiting for the R3, I got used to futzing with the Poly and getting things to how I want. My beef with the Poly was always the
- pain in the butt for configuration
- the pain in the butt for having to use wifi
- the pain in the butt for no physical play controls
- the pain in the butt for no screen
- the high price
- and when gofigure came out, the pain in the butt for having bt control only for playlists in the right format.

So, I was pretty excited about getting the R3 to pair with Mojo.

Strangely, now that I got it and tried the combo, I've decided not to pair these two.
- The sound is fine, but the Poly's own SD card is just more to my liking.
- The R3's tiny size is actually it's biggest plus, and adding to that size is kind of a waste of this specialty. With the headphones that came with the bundle, this really is a perfect backup dap for longer trips, and a good primary dap for just a short trip running errands around the neighborhood. Also useful when I have a ton of other gear and am trying to lighten my load as much as possible, while still preserving my smart phone's battery.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #2,726 of 6,859
A question for anyone or @Joe Bloggs... I believe the R6 can pull lyrics (and artwork) if missing? If so, can the R3 do the same? All my FLACs have artwork but no lyrics. I’ve played music while on wifi to see if it would pull lyrics, but unfortunately it doesn’t. Cheers.
On the R6 you need to go to a menu and request lyrics. That often results in several choices, some of which are ridiculous. You choose the best and save it to that song.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #2,727 of 6,859
Although when I originally asked I was told "yes" the R3 can receive BT AptX, but it seems that was not correct, as i suspected.

Can anyone tell me how well receiving Spotify from you smartphone works with the R3?

I ask because my Shangling M1 and M2s can both receive but only in SBC not AptX and where noticeably inferior in that mode to my $15 Mpow BT receiver. I'm hoping the R3 is at least as good if not better.

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2,730 of 6,859
Can I use this as a transport to a ifi iDSD Micro BL using a Type C to Type A Female?

Absolutely, on of the things inI considering this for.

Also, are we a long way from seeing this available on Amazon? (Sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm new to all this).

I have no idea.

Luckily, I'm in no hurry and can just wait to see how it pans out or move on to another option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back