The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Mar 18, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #256 of 6,859
The output voltage is not constant with load.

Anyway, into 32 ohms the power output has been measured to be 56mW per channel Single-Ended and 112mW per channel balanced.

This DAP is designed more to tame the hissing of the most sensitive IEMs than to power headphones bigger than itself (which kinda defeats the portability premise). The combo of low hiss and low output impedance promises to offer all the control those multi-driver IEMs and customs need.

Although, I'll leave it to @Hawaiibadboy to test out the driveability of those tasty over-ear Campfire headphones! :p

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 18, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #257 of 6,859
The combo of low hiss and low output impedance promises to offer all the control those multi-driver IEMs and customs need.
Well, my P1 with 2 vrms can not properly control the s-em6 v2..but anyway I consider the R3 as a transport solution first of all.

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #258 of 6,859
This DAP is designed more to tame the hissing of the most sensitive IEMs than to power headphones bigger than itself (which kinda defeats the portability premise). The combo of low hiss and low output impedance promises to offer all the control those multi-driver IEMs and customs need.
This actually makes a lot of sense. While I see a trend of more and more high impedance earbuds, I'm not quite sure I understand the benefits of it. So to me the power output of the R3 appears to match it's intended purpose .

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #259 of 6,859

Anyway, into 32 ohms the power output has been measured to be 56mW per channel Single-Ended and 112+112mW per channel balanced.

Although, I'll leave it to @Hawaiibadboy to test out the driveability of those tasty over-ear Campfire headphones! :p

Fine with me. I have easy to drive earbuds and on-ear phones!
The big question...when will the campaign begin???

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #260 of 6,859
I mildly disagree on that part. Even though it is a small and portable dap, i expect it to have atleast half the power of its bigger brother to power a high impedance headphone.

Which high impedance cans or IEMs are you looking to drive with R3? I guess Joe did put it mildly that the purview of R3 is portability and to provide hiss-free listening experience to users who have very sensitive IEMs.
If you're looking to drive higher impedance cans then you should look to invest in a different player with more driving capability or buy an amplifier.
R3 should suffice most people with IEMs unless they prefer listening to them very loud or have unrealistic expectations of having the power they desire for driving full size cans.

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #261 of 6,859

Anyway, into 32 ohms the power output has been measured to be 56mW per channel Single-Ended and 112mW per channel balanced.

Which high impedance cans or IEMs are you looking to drive with R3? I guess Joe did put it mildly that the purview of R3 is portability and to provide hiss-free listening experience to users who have very sensitive IEMs.
If you're looking to drive higher impedance cans then you should look to invest in a different player with more driving capability or buy an amplifier.
R3 should suffice most people with IEMs unless they prefer listening to them very loud or have unrealistic expectations of having the power they desire for driving full size cans.
Actually, I wanted to use my HD 58x on it. My main concern was about its power, but after Joe's explanation, it really makes a lot more sense to me now. I have thought over it and I am purchasing it as a transport dap to pair with topping nx4 dsd. Also, about choosing another dap, I cannot think of another dap which has such a high quality DAC inside it at this price.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #265 of 6,859
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #267 of 6,859
Do you know that it was one of the funniest intros i have seen?

That opening was me mocking myself (pitfalls of keeping it all in your head....winging it...as it were :wink:). I am sure most didn't get it...oh well

20180319_191942[1].jpg

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #268 of 6,859
That opening was me mocking myself (pitfalls of keeping it all in your head....winging it...as it were :wink:). I am sure most didn't get it...oh well

Don’t be so sure, some of us might have guessed it:wink:.

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #270 of 6,859
Hi, @Hawaiibadboy, which do you prefer? The R3 or Opus#1? Just wanted to know your opinion as I'm heading over to japan soon and I'm thinking of getting a used opus#1. Thanks

The aluminum chassis is the best DAP Opus has made IMO. The regular #1 is not something I would pick ever. If you use your DAP at home mostly that aluminum one would be hard to beat. I am however a screen person and I love the user interaction with Hiby stuff. If I ever get a glass screen protector and an armband holster for this R3 it will be the most often used DAP I have. Portable DAP v.s. a semi portable one. If you move around a lot and use your DAP outside more then in it would be R3. Screen person? R3. Just on sound and nothing else matters? I know aluminum #1 is a boss...I am still enjoying R3 and anything I say is hype related. I'm sure any short comings another finds in weeks and months down the road are not being seen by me and my Hiby colored glasses right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back