The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 17, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #2,433 of 6,859
I like that, that’s pretty good!

If you look over the posts from the past few weeks + since all this started you’ll see that these skeptics comments are more common than not!

All I’m doing actually is stating a fact & not complaining, as it’s obvious that all this has been said before & you can read many people are still actually complaining about their lot not arriving!
So I guess you don’t know the difference between the two!

& as I’ve said I’m looking forward to receiving mine & as I’m not in the least interested I The Tidal disaster of their own making like many others that are disappointed or complaining about that & rightfully so & other missing issues, I know I’ll enjoy it from the get go unlike whether you will or not.

Ymmv...,

I would agree with your statement.

I don't use Tidal, so really don't care, but I can certainly understand the frustration many are having at learning that Tidal offline won't work.

It's actually too bad that I don't use Tidal, because the third icon at the top is Tidal. Replacing HibyLink. Which probably further adds to the frustration. Tidal is so prominent on the R3 interface, they put at the very top. To be such a major part of the interface and yet be missing a key feature (offline), must be very frustrating for many who backed the R3 specifically for this feature.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #2,435 of 6,859
Works okay. AQ headphones seem easy to drive and very forgiving of the file format, dac, amp. I have both the NH carbon and NO carbon. They both work fine on the R3.

:thumbsup:Sounds good to me & just as I suspected so looking forward getting my NightHawks into them for a good listening session or two ...

Had a little bit of free time this morning, so I tried the NH (liquid wood) with the M0 (still waiting for my R3...)
To me, it did not sound great. Too congested / too muddy. Seemed like notes mushed up together. Tried switching to high gain - made a minor improvement, but still not a great pairing to MY EARS.
Sennheiser HD380 sounded better to me!
Got more (too many...) headphones I can (and will) try M0 with. So far, best pairing is with my custom CTM CT-500 Elite.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2,436 of 6,859
Some more things I like
Had a little bit of free time this morning, so I tried the NH (liquid wood) with the M0 (still waiting for my R3...)
To me, it did not sound great. Too congested / too muddy. Seemed like notes mushed up together. Tried switching to high gain - made a minor improvement, but still not a great pairing to MY EARS.
Got more (too many...) headphones I can (and will) try M0 with. So far, best pairing is with my custom CTM CT-500 Elite.

That's fair. I did find things a little muddy at first.

[EDIT: Oops, you were talking about the Shanling. Ma bad, I read too fast, rest of below still applies]

I do push magic 8 ball pretty far to get the sound profile I like with AQ headphones. Whereas I push MSEB on Cascade much less. And make no changes to MSEB or eq when using the Utopia or KSE1200. I do adjust the settings for the T1 a little, and significantly more on the HD800 (which sounds a touch thin on the R3)

Magic 8 ball is really a wonderful adjuster. I like it much better than the EQ.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2,437 of 6,859
been listening to to Tidal streaming on my home wifi using my VE Zen2 2.5 balanced earbuds all weekend
really enjoyed listening to Kasey Musgraves Essentials from my Tidal playlist with the Zen 2s
I'm so glad I got the R3
It sounds better than my V30 streaming tidal

just wish it wouldn't get so many fingerprints like the Shanling M0
picked up a nuevue iphone 5 slip case to help keep the device screen fresh
started using a stylus to prevent the greasy fingerprints

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #2,438 of 6,859

Interesting, do you think it just might be the M0 that’s the muddy issue, hopefully the R3 will be nice & clear...

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #2,439 of 6,859
Interesting, do you think it just might be the M0 that’s the muddy issue, hopefully the R3 will be nice & clear...
I expect the R3 to be better than M0.
To be honest, the original question for using AQ NightHawk / NightOwl appeared on both R3 and M0 threads, so I may have replied to the wrong thread...
In any case, the M0 is really nice with the custom CTMs, which are more sensitive / easier to drive than NightHawks. Even Sennheiser HD380 sounds better detailed to me, out of the M0.
R3 (I believe, from memory) is more powerful, and therefore I expect it to drive the NH better. Will report as soon as I get my R3 (hopefully this coming week - I am backer #4xx, black, in the US, and never got any shipping info yet). I promise to update later on :)

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #2,440 of 6,859
I expect the R3 to be better than M0.
To be honest, the original question for using AQ NightHawk / NightOwl appeared on both R3 and M0 threads, so I may have replied to the wrong thread...
In any case, the M0 is really nice with the custom CTMs, which are more sensitive / easier to drive than NightHawks. Even Sennheiser HD380 sounds better detailed to me, out of the M0.
R3 (I believe, from memory) is more powerful, and therefore I expect it to drive the NH better. Will report as soon as I get my R3 (hopefully this coming week - I am backer #4xx, black, in the US, and never got any shipping info yet). I promise to update later on :)

Ok, that might be it just a M0 thing as I can’t imagine the R3 & NightHawks being incompatible or hopefully not..

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #2,441 of 6,859
I can't wait till you get yours and stop complaining about your units not being shipped... just so I can see what else you will find to complain about.
Just for the record, someone here suggested a poll to clarify what backer numbers, colors and geographies were receiving or not receiving units. Some were complainers, I guess, and others were just reporting in.

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #2,443 of 6,859
Has anyone with the R3 tried using it as a USB DAC yet? Do share how you get it working (still waiting for mine) :D

Also, do you use sharp drop or slow descent digital filter/setting for audio output?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #2,444 of 6,859
Copy and paste from original location so that this info can be referred to in a HiBy thread:
Slower rolloffs take out some of the top end. The slower the rolloff the more so.

The short-delay filters put any ringing caused by antialiasing at the back end of the impulse, which theoretically masks the ringing better.

The rationale for using each filter may be as follows:
Sharp rolloff: your high frequency hearing doesn't go up to the Nyquist frequency (22050Hz in the case of 44.1kHz sample rate) so you choose to use a sharp rolloff filter. This way you get flat response up to the limits of your hearing and no audible ringing (only inaudible ringing at 20000-22050Hz)

Slow (or super slow) rolloff: your high frequency hearing does go up to and above 20000Hz so much that you do hear ringing at those frequencies; besides, modern pop music is mastered too brightly for your tastes. You kill two birds with one stone, the slow rolloff filter: it makes ringing less noticeable and the highest frequencies less prominent.

Linear phase filters (i.e. the ones not labelled "short delay"): you believe preserving the phase relationships of instrumental sounds up to the highest frequencies is beneficial to correct soundstage reconstruction.

Minimum phase filters (i.e. the ones labelled "short delay"): you hear ringing with the "not short delay" version of the same filter and want to make it less obvious without switching to a slower rolloff filter. Or, you really have use for a shorter delay (playing twitch games on your i5???)

That said, don't be surprised if you don't hear a difference; the differences are subtle at best.

@Joe Bloggs (or anyone who knows) - you last mentioned that the R3 slow descent/sharp drop filters are linear type, so "Linear phase filters (i.e. the ones not labelled "short delay"): you believe preserving the phase relationships of instrumental sounds up to the highest frequencies is beneficial to correct soundstage reconstruction." Can you share the difference when the linear filter is "slow descent" vs "sharp drop"? Is sharp drop the "default" filter on most DAPs?

Jun 18, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #2,445 of 6,859
Has anyone with the R3 tried using it as a USB DAC yet? Do share how you get it working (still waiting for mine) :D

Also, do you use sharp drop or slow descent digital filter/setting for audio output?

Pretty easy. Go to settings, hit usb, changes to dac mode, screen just says dac. Works smooth and easy.

I wish mseb or eq worked while in dac mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back