The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,066 of 6,859
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Well considering the Hiby R3 works as a BT receiver through aptx (smartphone's app to hiby), it's basically doing the same thing as the FiiO Q5 + Tidal and potentially other stuff later ...

What about the sound quality ? AK4490 vs ES9028 ...
DAC chips alone don't mean anything.

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,067 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs is the output impedance for unbalanced and balanced out the same? How much is it?

6906334.html

Also, the JD.com Chinese listing states the 3.5mm output as 114mW instead of 57mW. Which is correct?

I have asked the same question before and they didn't respond yet. Generally balanced outputs have double the amount of impedance of the single ended outputs.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,069 of 6,859
Great decision to keep the early birds time-limited. Btw, I was at the dentist at the time of the launch and was super nervous that I'll miss something, so I literally pulled out my phone while I was still on the chair.
It was a great launch - number 22 here.

Btw, how about stainless steel upgrade as a stretch goal - the R3 is small, so I think a $20-25 add-on option could be great for anyone interested

I'd have ordered if there was a stainless option. The OP in this thread shows a silver option that isn't actually available. I would be on the list if there was a stainless one.

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #1,072 of 6,859
This v.s. the Q5 is basically:

• stack v.s no stack
  • All streaming platforms (phone) v.s. TIDAL + promises
You folks are knee capped because only a few folks have this and none of us paid for it. If I were you I would not believe any of us. That's me. I am on the other side right now but I wouldn't believe anything beyond what i see if i were in your shoes.

If you are like me and listen mostly to flad/DSD or files on an SD card...I say buy.
If you are all about streaming then I got nothing to say really. TIDAL? I ain't paying for that ..Jay-Z got enough money. That ain't ever gonna happen in my life but I used another persons account for testing and it works fine.
If LDAC comes though that will be so epic...not sure how much Hiby realizes how huge that is? Spotify doesn't need my CC so I dig it and use it on all devices that can do it. They need to get that. Spotify and LDAC make this a true all in one streaming source IMO.

Joe is in Japan and so are some other review folks who like free stuff so I expect more opinions for ya'll. For $200 it is a thing I would buy for exercising which is why this thing needs that arm band in the original promo vid. Shoulda been the first stretch goal IMO

Flad is the crap, such a mind blowing codec. Flad makes DSD sounds like DUM.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #1,075 of 6,859
I gave a half ass look on this thread and the internet but can't find a definitive answer, does this have USB out or is it just coax?
It has USB type-c digital out support. So you can use R3 as a transport. I have already bought Shanling L2 cable. You may find cheaper ones on ebay. Just be careful that they are OTG cables.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,076 of 6,859
It has USB type-c digital out support. So you can use R3 as a transport. I have already bought Shanling L2 cable. You may find cheaper ones on ebay. Just be careful that they are OTG cables.
The kickstarter page says it has a "bidirectional USB DAC Interface"; So can be used as a transport for another DAC through the USB.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #1,077 of 6,859
I have asked the same question before and they didn't respond yet. Generally balanced outputs have double the amount of impedance of the single ended outputs.

Thanks! So that's <1ohm unbalanced and <2ohm balanced probably?

@Hawaiibadboy in Japan have you been able to demo the Pioneer XDP-30R or Onkyo DP-S1? Curious how they compare against the sound quality of the R3 :wink:

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #1,078 of 6,859
You are absolutely right about the coax input on the BL. I am also looking for a solution to connect the R3 to the BL via coax and cant seem to be able to get myself to find the right cables. USB C to regular coax jack or some kind of adapter which would convert the 3.5mm coax pin to a regular coax connector. I shall let you know if i come across anything. I would request you to do the same.

Will do. If I find one I’ll let you know. I have searched the internet, but the Cayin usb-c to coax cable is the only one I see that has a usb-c to coax connections. The reviewer from Headphonics, in his review of the R3 said that the Cayin cable is specifically designed for their DAPs only, as they use a different pin out on their DAPs. He said the Hiby DAPs aren’t compatible with this cable which is this too bad because it’s exactly the connectors we need for the ifi Micro. I was looking for a 3.5mm female to RCA coax adapter, we could attach to Hiby’s new usb-c to 3.5mm coax (from their new stretch goal), but I haven’t found anything. Hopefully someone will make one compatible for the Hiby players.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,079 of 6,859
@Hawaiibadboy in Japan have you been able to demo the Pioneer XDP-30R or Onkyo DP-S1? Curious how they compare against the sound quality of the R3 :wink:

Yup, The Pioneer is a legit streaming portable comp with out the uber screen on R3. Sound and build were great. Sound was my EX1000. The comparing of DAPs like drivers with bass/med/treble desciptions is outta hand, that's your monitors doing that stuff. clarity and resolution.....that is a good way to check quality. I stick my ex in my ear and use mini xlr terms to switch from device to device using identical tracks and get OCD on certain notes. Could not do that with the items you asked about but the sonics were too similar anyway. I love ONKYO as I have several home system items from them but that is an odd baby screen device. Design is weird. I would pick the Pioneer of those 2 but the R3 over both

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #1,080 of 6,859
Will do. If I find one I’ll let you know. I have searched the internet, but the Cayin usb-c to coax cable is the only one I see that has a usb-c to coax connections. The reviewer from Headphonics, in his review of the R3 said that the Cayin cable is specifically designed for their DAPs only, as they use a different pin out on their DAPs. He said the Hiby DAPs aren’t compatible with this cable which is this too bad because it’s exactly the connectors we need for the ifi Micro. I was looking for a 3.5mm female to RCA coax adapter, we could attach to Hiby’s new usb-c to 3.5mm coax (from their new stretch goal), but I haven’t found anything. Hopefully someone will make one compatible for the Hiby players.

I just found the following adapter that might work with the new usb-c to 3.5mm coax cable that Hiby released for their final stretch goal. (I doubt we will reach that goal) If we were to combine this adapter plug with their new cable do you think it would work? This adapter is super cheap so I am thinking of giving it a try. Here is the link:

https://www.mycablemart.com/store/c...hBtpz_OdnEH38XuCi8WPsK_PRurfJX1waAnjoEALw_wcB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back