The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 1, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #5,612 of 6,859
Has anyone trird comparing this to the Shanling m2x?

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #5,613 of 6,859
One Amazon one review states The R3 does not work with Apple products and does not show up on apple computer when plugged into it.I have all my music on iTunes in an iMac. I need to know if I can move music to a card on the R3 from iTunes in an iMac. Thanks

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #5,614 of 6,859
One Amazon one review states The R3 does not work with Apple products and does not show up on apple computer when plugged into it.I have all my music on iTunes in an iMac. I need to know if I can move music to a card on the R3 from iTunes in an iMac. Thanks

I simply copied my iTunes music folder onto the micro SD card.
You need a card reader and an adapter to micro SD, but it's faster and IMO easier.
Never tried to edit the library tethered.

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #5,615 of 6,859
I connect it to my Mac mini via USB and it shows on the desk top as an external hard drive and I'm able to drag files in & out of it, no problems.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #5,616 of 6,859
Firmware 3.2 Custom

3.2 International ver. (from Kickstarter);
3.2 Chinese ver. (from JD and so on, rename the file to r3.upt before updating)

11. extended database limit to 65000 tracks,

Last update: 31.05.2019

First, let me thank you for posting this customized firmware. Very nice of you to share this.

I was unable to get the 65000 database tracks feature to work. The music scan either freezes the R3 (same behavior as the Hiby firmware) at 16,231 tracks, or the spinning image keeps spinning indefinitely and the track count stops at 16,231 (either way, I had to power cycle the unit to get it out of those states--same as with the Hiby firmware). Is there some trick to getting the customized firmware to read the full 65,000 tracks?

Also, one suggestion for future customization -- as Neutron does, perhaps add something to the scan menu to let you scan only certain folders, which will help us stay within the database track limit, whatever it is, and use folders to access the rest.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #5,617 of 6,859
Is there some trick to getting the customized firmware to read the full 65,000 tracks?

Yep, you should find out and delete file with bad tags that causes stuck/crashes on updating database.

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #5,618 of 6,859
If you're moving a few songs, you can also use the web interface and don't have to have it plugged into your computer. The comments above are right on -- trying to move files through the R3 tethered is possible, but it's really slow. You're better off plugging the card into a reader and doing it that way.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #5,620 of 6,859
Thanks for the tip! I'll check those.
https://1drv.ms/t/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgc1BblKzGPKrqO8nWg
Copy this file to the micro SD card for the R3 outside of any folders before your next scan. After a crash occurs, the file (debug_info.txt) will be filled up with debug info regarding the scan that we can look at.

Also, the last line of the file will be showing the music file that tripped up the scan, you can usually remove the one file from your card and solve the problem, unless there's more than one song that's the problem, in which case you would need to repeat the process.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 3, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #5,621 of 6,859
I can't seem to get the MSEB to work for me. Am I suppose to use this along with the equalizer or instead of equalizer? There are so many settings that Im lost. Anyone have any MSEB settings that might work for more bass that isn't boomy and also a taming of sibilance highs. Thanks for your help.

Jul 4, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #5,622 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs

I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating. The alphabetical search function found in All Songs would be an amazing addition to the Favorites and Playlist menus. As of now, finding a specific song in your playlist is next to impossible since it's not alphabetized. Now I understand it doesn't need to be alphabetized since it is a playlist and all, but some kind of search function is definitely needed.

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #5,623 of 6,859
I can't seem to get the MSEB to work for me. Am I suppose to use this along with the equalizer or instead of equalizer? There are so many settings that Im lost. Anyone have any MSEB settings that might work for more bass that isn't boomy and also a taming of sibilance highs. Thanks for your help.
Firstly check that it is working on your songs. You can use it with and without the regular EQ alongside but neither will function for songs encoded at over 48kHz sample rate on the R3.

As for your particular sound signature request, I would recommend pushing up (right) bass extension and bass texture, reducing (left) note thickness, and reducing Sibilance LF and Sibilance HF depending on where exactly the sibilance troubling you lies. LF sibilance is er more whooshy and HF sibilance is more tizzy? :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back