The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
May 8, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #511 of 1,312
EQ functions typically have a negative pre-gain to prevent clipping/distortion.
Exactly. I saw this specifically called out for the es100, so I assume it would be the same for the FiiO devices. Volume intentionally dropped to allow for headroom for bands to be increased.

May 8, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #512 of 1,312
Is anybody else experiencing volume drop by 4db as soon as they enable the EQ in FiiO Control app?

I didn't use EQ with my FiiO BT adapter as it is disabled over LDAC. However, what you have experienced is called reserving headroom. EQ these days is done within the digital domain, as well as volume control - and they are closely matched to the hardware output limitation (*so you will get the best, highest hardware output in normal use). So when EQ is enabled without first reducing a few dB over digital gain, you can actually set the EQ / volume to higher than what the hardware is capable of, and this will result in clipping / distortion. To prevent this, a few dB is automatically preserved when the EQ is enabled, in order to make sure your EQ setting will never go over what the hardware's maximum output limitation. The sign of this type of design is that the volume will drop a few dB when EQ is enabled.

Sometime you don't notice any volume reduction over other gears when enabling the EQ, mainly because: (1) it didn't reserve any headroom but instead allows the hardware to clip / distort, which is the worst way for EQ design in general, or (2) the headroom has been permanently reserved all the time, so the device will never run out of headroom and distort. But on the other hand, it will also never reach the highest possible hardware output and always being handicapped even when EQ is not used.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #513 of 1,312
I didn't use EQ with my FiiO BT adapter as it is disabled over LDAC. However, what you have experienced is called reserving headroom. EQ these days is done within the digital domain, as well as volume control - and they are closely matched to the hardware output limitation (*so you will get the best, highest hardware output in normal use). So when EQ is enabled without first reducing a few dB over digital gain, you can actually set the EQ / volume to higher than what the hardware is capable of, and this will result in clipping. To prevent this, a few dB is preserved when the EQ is enabled, in order to make sure your EQ setting will never go over what the hardware's maximum output limitation.

Sometime you don't notice any volume reduction over other gears when enabling the EQ, mainly because: (1) it didn't reserve any headroom but instead allows the hardware to clip / distort, which is the worst way for EQ design in general, or (2) the headroom has been permanently reserved all the time, so the device will never run out of headroom and distort. But on the other hand, it will also never reach the highest possible hardware output and always being handicapped even when EQ is not used.
Tnx for the in depth elaboration!
I just bumped all freq's by 4db, and other even more :D Didn't notice any distortion but I guess that's IEM dependent :) Maybe I'm even getting distortion but don't know what to listen to ?

May 8, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #514 of 1,312
Tnx for the in depth elaboration!
I just bumped all freq's by 4db, and other even more :D Didn't notice any distortion but I guess that's IEM dependent :) Maybe I'm even getting distortion but don't know what to listen to ?

You didn't notice any distortion over EQ because it shouldn't distort. That means the headroom reservation works as intended.

May 10, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #515 of 1,312
Late to the party, but finally arrived with BTR5...short impressions to follow on its own, and against E1DA gear.
IMG_20200510_110144.jpg

May 11, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #516 of 1,312
ClieOS
In my country, the price of BTR5 is US$110 and BTR3K is US$75.
Which one should I pick for my good old Mi a1 (playing Tidal HIFI through UAAP)?
What do you think of the Price to Performance ratio (at these particular prices)?
I also have Shanling Q1. Is it good enough to be used as Bluetooth DAC compared to these 2s?
Any other advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #517 of 1,312
ClieOS
In my country, the price of BTR5 is US$110 and BTR3K is US$75.
Which one should I pick for my good old Mi a1 (playing Tidal HIFI through UAAP)?
What do you think of the Price to Performance ratio (at these particular prices)?
I also have Shanling Q1. Is it good enough to be used as Bluetooth DAC compared to these 2s?
Any other advice would be appreciated.

Sorry, don't own the Shanling Q1 nor even listened to one before to tell you whether it is good enough or not.

However, if you are not going to be using most of the Bluetooth portion of the adapter but mainly as USB DAC, BTR5 will be the better choice. However, in those case you might want to just get a 'pig-tail' style USB DAC instead. If you are going to be using most Bluetooth but not as much USB DAC, then I do think BTR3K is going to have a better price / performance ration, assuming your headphone is not going to be very difficult to drive.

May 18, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #518 of 1,312
Short list updated with MSRP and street price.

Also we got an ETA for FiiO BTR5: July.

I'd like to thank you for the Review on the FiiO BTR3K recieved it today and can only concur what a great Portable Headphone/DAC it is only after a few hours of play,the apps easy to use and for the money it's fantastic value can only imagine the New BTR5 will be something special.Thank you.👍

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #519 of 1,312
One thing I notice is the BTR5's signal appears to break easily compared to even my Aftershokz Air headset...even moving your arm across the line-of-sight can make it choppy for a second or so grabbing a cup of tea etc...maybe as I have BT4 gear transmitting...have to check their specs as I assume BTR5 is BT5....Netflix fireTV 4k dongle 2019, MB Air 2019, Asus phone 2017.
It is suprisingly good wireless and wired, but I do hear a bit of that Sabre brightness and glare that 9018 stuff had..9038 stuff is great in the treble department.
All IMO of course...but even with my 1060c cans which are darker up top, there is a volume ceiling due to the treble magnifying ahead of the rest of the FR or so it seems, after a certain point.
I find that if I try the EQ presets, there is an instant veil and the soundstage comes in..only EQ I have found so far that does not do that is Audeze Reveal.
It will fill a good gap for my netflix dongle and walkabout anyway.

Can anyone hear a difference with the low-pass filters ? Not had enough time to compare..but it seems so slight, on a fast cycle through them if anything...

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #520 of 1,312
I just got my hands on the BTR3k. I noticed in the first post that EQ adjustment is not available on LDAC. Has there been any updates if/when this will ever be available?

I have a Galaxy S10 and I use LDAC on my ES100. Since I want to use EQ on the BTR3k, what is the next best codec for me to use?

May 22, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #521 of 1,312
I just got my hands on the BTR3k. I noticed in the first post that EQ adjustment is not available on LDAC. Has there been any updates if/when this will ever be available?

I have a Galaxy S10 and I use LDAC on my ES100. Since I want to use EQ on the BTR3k, what is the next best codec for me to use?

If you insist on using EQ on BTR3K, then apt-HD. The BT codec will be roughly equally to LDAC 660 ( = standard quality). However, the better way is to use the EQ inside your smartphone / music playing app, then set LDAC to 990 (= SQ preferred) for best of both world.

May 22, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #522 of 1,312
If you insist on using EQ on BTR3K, then apt-HD. The BT codec will be roughly equally to LDAC 660 ( = standard quality). However, the better way is to use the EQ inside your smartphone / music playing app, then set LDAC to 990 (= SQ preferred) for best of both world.

No Aptx HD on S10 :frowning2: only AptX

May 22, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #523 of 1,312
May 22, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #524 of 1,312
Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #525 of 1,312
Instead of a music app’s EQ, there is also the option of Wavelet...

https://www.xda-developers.com/make-your-headphones-sound-better-automatic-eq-wavelet/amp/
That’s an interesting app, probably the best of those that seek to pull every headphone towards a neutral curve. I’m not really keen on that in principle, as I like gear with personality or color. Hey dev, you want to bring my bass down and mess with my lower treble peak? GTFO!

I have no idea how good the EQ is then within Wavelet, it‘s presented as a bit of a reluctant afterthought to cater to us peasants who enjoy their weird FR curves. It may indeed be better to use a dedicated system-wide equalizer on the emitter side if the aim is to use LDAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back