The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Apr 28, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #481 of 1,312
Hi ClieOS. I just spontaneously ordered the BTR5. Of course, it's possible that I didn't do the appropriate research before ordering lol (wouldn't be the first time!).

I've was using the ES100 (before it broke), and more recently the Ubtr to get me by (I couldn't wait for the 5K any longer).

Although I do have some balanced headphones and earbuds, most are single sided, and I do tend to listen quite a lot to my single sided gear, so what you said above has me wondering!

To get a feel for how the BTR5 sounds single sided, how would you say it compares to the ES100 single sided?

Reading through your initial posts again, you've got me intrigued with the HiBy W3. How does the BTR5 single sided sound compared to it?

Thanks!

p.s. my apologies if you have answered these questions in here already.

BTR5's 3.5mm is about the same level as W3 / UP2. I'll say ES100's 3.5mm is slightly better, noticeable (especially in 2X current mode) but not in any night and day difference. Just to be clear - BTR5's 3.5mm doesn't sound bad, but it is not on the same level as its 2.5mm and more comparable to those in the sub-$100 region - which of course is somewhat of a disappointment when it is supposed to be the best (and certainly the most expensive at its launch) of all the BT adapter out there.

Apr 29, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #482 of 1,312
BTR5's 3.5mm is about the same level as W3 / UP2. I'll say ES100's 3.5mm is slightly better, noticeable (especially in 2X current mode) but not in any night and day difference. Just to be clear - BTR5's 3.5mm doesn't sound bad, but it is not on the same level as its 2.5mm and more comparable to those in the sub-$100 region - which of course is somewhat of a disappointment when it is supposed to be the best (and certainly the most expensive at its launch) of all the BT adapter out there.

Thank you. You also said this about the BTR3K:

Received BTR3K a few days ago and has been testing it, so far I am impressed. Full impression will be updated soonish but it warrants a preview: 3.5mm output is better than that of ES100 while 2.5mm output is just as good sounding. Taking away that FiiO still hasn't figured out how to implement EQ over LDAC - BTR3K is getting ES100 a good run for its money.

and this:

Max power output on the balanced 2.5mm is comparable to, if not just slightly higher than ES100 2.5mm (1x voltage). Max power on 3.5mm is about half of 2.5mm, but it should be more than loud enough for your average headphone. Both BTR3K and ES100 use (*different) AKM DAC/amp codec chips in dual configuration, so overall sound signature is fairly similar. On 2.5mm output, the difference is subtle and hard to say which is better. On the 3.5mm however, BTR3K offers better sound with bigger image / soundstage and grander presentation. In short, ES100 will be able to go louder - but for the same volume, BTR3K sounds at least as good (on 2.5mm) if not better (on 3.5mm).

That's all I need to hear. I just ordered the BTR3K and will return the BTR5 unopened when I get it.

Thanks for your insights!

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #483 of 1,312
That's all I need to hear. I just ordered the BTR3K and will return the BTR5 unopened when I get it.

My BTR3K just shipped. This makes me happy. It's from a Canadian store so hopefully it won't take too long to get here.

For my own edification, these are the reasons why I am excited about the BTR3K:
- great price. $100CAD is approx $70US. Can't beat that.
- great 3.5 mm sound quality (I mainly listen to single ended gear).
- great 2.5 mm sound quality (I am listening to more balanced gear as time goes by)
- nice build quality, and buttons seem more pronounced than other models I'm used to (I'm looking at you, ES100)
- small size and light
- clip case. that's great. If the clip breaks - which it will do for me - I can just buy another clip case rather than gluing a clip onto the unit lol
- battery life of 11 hours (compared to 9 hour battery life of the btr5)

I really don't need the extra power or the other bells and whistles that the BTR5 provides, so the BTR3K is a no brainer for me.

Thanks again ClieOS :)

May 4, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #484 of 1,312
Hello all. I recently purchased a BTR5 and I’m awaiting it’s arrival. I’m curious about its “car mode” and what connection cables I’ll need. I’d like to use it wired in the car on my phone with no Bluetooth so I figure I connect it in the car through a USB C to USB C cable phone to BTR5 then an aux cable from the 2.5mm jack on the BTR to the aux receiver in my truck. My truck has usb C ports as well, would that be better quality to use those instead? I’m kinda confused, definitely looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance for your time!

May 4, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #485 of 1,312
Hello all. I recently purchased a BTR5 and I’m awaiting it’s arrival. I’m curious about its “car mode” and what connection cables I’ll need. I’d like to use it wired in the car on my phone with no Bluetooth so I figure I connect it in the car through a USB C to USB C cable phone to BTR5 then an aux cable from the 2.5mm jack on the BTR to the aux receiver in my truck. My truck has usb C ports as well, would that be better quality to use those instead? I’m kinda confused, definitely looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance for your time!

First of, any decent USB cable should do. However, if you find that BTR5 becomes somewhat distorted / hissy when connected to the car, then your car USB port might not be properly grounded. FiiO actually sells a charging cable that deals with that issue.

Secondly, DO NOT connect your car AUX to BTR5's 2.5mm balanced output. Balanced output can only be used with balanced headphones or balanced amp. Otherwise you run the risk of destroying your BTR5.

May 4, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #486 of 1,312
First of, any decent USB cable should do. However, if you find that BTR5 becomes somewhat distorted / hissy when connected to the car, then your car USB port might not be properly grounded. FiiO actually sells a charging cable that deals with that issue.

Secondly, DO NOT connect your car AUX to BTR5's 2.5mm balanced output. Balanced output can only be used with balanced headphones or balanced amp. Otherwise you run the risk of destroying your BTR5.
Okay so if I’m understanding correctly, USB C from car to usb c on the BTR5 is fine? Then after connecting those two then connect another wire which would be 3.5 coming from the btr to my phone? I’m sorry for all the questions thanks for the reply

edit. My main goal is a wired connection in my car

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #487 of 1,312
Okay so if I’m understanding correctly, USB C from car to usb c on the BTR5 is fine? Then after connecting those two then connect another wire which would be 3.5 coming from the btr to my phone? I’m sorry for all the questions thanks for the reply

edit. My main goal is a wired connection in my car

Yes, Type-C to Type-C connection is fine. If the Type-C output on your car is clean, then you won't notice anything. But if you notice hissing / distortion on BTR5's output, then there is a chance the Type-C output on your car is not clean, which mean you need USB power isolater / reconditioner However, you won't know till you plug your BTR5 into the car.

BTR5's 3.5mm to your car's AUX is fine as well. Setting BTR5 into car mode means BTR5 will power-up automatically when it senses the USB port that it connected to has power (which usually means you have just started up your car, as most USB ports car only power up when the car engine is running). It also automatically turn itself off when it senses no power from the USB port. So basically it turns itself into kinda a dedicated Bluetooth dongle for your car's audio system.

May 4, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #488 of 1,312
Yes, Type-C to Type-C connection is fine. If the Type-C output on your car is clean, then you won't notice anything. But if you notice hissing / distortion on BTR5's output, then there is a chance the Type-C output on your car is not clean, which mean you need USB power isolater / reconditioner However, you won't know till you plug your BTR5 into the car.

BTR5's 3.5mm to your car's AUX is fine as well. Setting BTR5 into car mode means BTR5 will power-up automatically when it senses the USB port that it connected to has power (which usually means you have just started up your car, as most USB ports car only power up when the car engine is running). It also automatically turn itself off when it senses no power from the USB port. So basically it turns itself into kinda a dedicated Bluetooth dongle for your car's audio system.
Okay so it sounds like no matter what I will be playing music through a Bluetooth signal in my truck? No way to hard wire everything so I am not using Bluetooth at all?

May 4, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #489 of 1,312
Okay so it sounds like no matter what I will be playing music through a Bluetooth signal in my truck? No way to hard wire everything so I am not using Bluetooth at all?

Wait, so you want to play music from your smartphone to your car's audio directly without any Bluetooth connection in between? If that's the case, you are looking at the wrong product. BTR5 is a Bluetooth adapter, not a Digital Audio Player (DAP) like iPod. It doesn't have any internal memory to hold music inside and thus music must come from your smartphone (which will be BT in this case, as USB DAC can't be used when the port is needed for car mode charging).

If you want a simple DAP, get the FiiO M5 instead. Some DAP do offer car mode as well, though I don't keep track of which is which.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #490 of 1,312
Very happy with my Fiio BTR5.

IMG_20200505_103417.jpg

Nitpicks
  • It doesn't wake up the phone when plugged in via USB and I turn it on. The Topping NX4 DSD and Oppo HA-2 do.
  • Switch to 96kHz and 24bit and it doesn't automatically recognize the switch. Have to close and open UAPP. The Topping NX4 DSD and Oppo HA-2 do.
  • It should come with a short USB C to C cable in the box.
  • Wish it were a little smaller and lighter.
  • Top button could be bigger with more travel

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #491 of 1,312
I apologise if this has been asked many times before. I've tried to google search 'what benefits would I get with Bluetooth dac/amp over phone' and couldn't find a good answer.

Some info:
I'm just getting back into listening to music (predominantly mainstream pop, movie/tv soundtracks, and especially Korean Drama OSTs via Spotify Premium). For the past few years, I've been listening through the phone (Galaxy S9+/S10+) using my Galaxy Buds and then more recently with Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro.

I've recently dusted off my budget IEMs KZ ZS3 and Havi B3 pro (which I haven't touched for a few years) and just purchased Blon BL-03 (awaiting delivery). I've also got the Audio Technica ATH-AD900x headphones (which I don't particularly like - too little bass).

At the desktop, I'm using the Fiio E07K to drive the headphones/IEMs.

I am considering getting the Fiio BTR3K for portable use connected via bluetooth to my S10+. Will there be any noticeable benefit to having the BTR3K over just my S10+ driving my iems? I know one benefit is being able to be more 'mobile', which I would like. But my main consideration is improved sound quality. What I most love about music is clear airy vocals, instrument separation and sound stage. As long as there will be 'noticeable' improvement, I'll be keen for the upgrade/purchase. (I know 'noticeable' is very subjective!)

Any advice/help would be much appreciated!

Edit: One more question to throw out there... S10+/BTR3K/wired IEM (Bl-03/ZS3) vs S10+/bluetooth IEM (Galaxy buds/L2P) - which will give better sound?

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #492 of 1,312
Please clarify what you are trying to accomplish. I concluded that you want to play music from your phone on your car stereo system, and your phone doesn't have a headphone jack. Are you trying to play from music files stored on the phone, or from a streaming service such as Spotify? For playing stored music files, the solution might be as simple as connecting a USB cable between your truck and phone, and the stereo system would directly read the music files on the phone. Alternatively, copy the music files onto a USB flash drive, and plug it into your truck's USB.

If you are playing music from other sources such as a streaming service, personally I would just Bluetooth from the phone to the car stereo. Is there a reason you want to avoid Bluetooth?

May 5, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #493 of 1,312
Is there any BT receiver with QI wireless charging? It's strange that it isn't more common, after all BT audio is mostly about convenience, and wireless charging convenience defined.
Wireless charging is slow(er) so in that respect it is inconvenient.

Most convenient? Not having to charge it at all. As when it draws power from the source device which carries a much, much bigger battery, 5000mAh in my case.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #494 of 1,312
Can some of you guys perhaps help me out?

It has finally come to it: Had to upgrade my phone, of course no headphone jack.
Had the BTR5 on my list, but now came across a video on Youtube basically saying it's sounding bad and the UP4 is the superior device.
Now I don't know how credible this guy is since he might be a click bait contrarian in order to get some views, but the release of the BTR3K didn't help in making a choice either.

Here in Europe I'd pay around 63€ for the BTR3K and 90€ for the BTR5. Shanling is out of contention since they're more expensive to import.
Money isn't really the issue, but I'll be mainly using the 3.5 Jack since I don't own balanced cables for my main IEMs.
I'll also be using the device as a DAC when I'm on travels since my laptop has a really bad sound output (thanks, Lenovo).

What kind of device would you say makes more sense to purchase? Since I saw ClieOS BTR3K write up, I think this might be the right device for me, but the DAC in the BTR5 sounds more appealing (on paper at least).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back