The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Jan 8, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #1,291 of 1,312
Sorry to necropost.

Have you tried to manually update the UTWS5 firmware? https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202203231057051219397&tid=125 Download the file and use the Fiio Control app to install it manually. This fixed most my issues.
Hi Infoseeker,
Better late than never :wink: Thanks for your post !
Indeed I upgraded the UTWS5 at least once, and I don't remember exactly how I did that last time... (manual or OTA)
In theory, online upgrade should lead to the same results than local upgrade, but who knows...

My phone seems not to support Snapdragon Sound, so firmware 1.74 is not the best option I guess.
I don't remember if i set the UTWS5 profile in order to use Apt-X HD or LDAC, got to check that as well...

Thanks again for the valuable input :wink:

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #1,292 of 1,312
Hi Infoseeker,
Better late than never :wink: Thanks for your post !
Indeed I upgraded the UTWS5 at least once, and I don't remember exactly how I did that last time... (manual or OTA)
In theory, online upgrade should lead to the same results than local upgrade, but who knows...

My phone seems not to support Snapdragon Sound, so firmware 1.74 is not the best option I guess.
I don't remember if i set the UTWS5 profile in order to use Apt-X HD or LDAC, got to check that as well...

Thanks again for the valuable input :wink:
For 1.74, even if your phone can't use the newest codec. It will still be more stable to use that firmware. Should not cause any conflicts.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #1,293 of 1,312
For 1.74, even if your phone can't use the newest codec. It will still be more stable to use that firmware. Should not cause any conflicts.
Yesterday evening I checked the status at home; my pair of UTWS5 is with v1.73 (!), and in fact, this pair has been exchanged after a one connection detached from the body... So it is probably been shipped with this version, that is not described on Fiio page...

And it was set to use AptX HD, so less risks of stutter due to high bitrates.

when I launch OTA update, it says my firmware is up to date, I wonder If I should try to force manual update to 1.74 which should be margninally different, if not identical to 1.73... :rolling_eyes:

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #1,294 of 1,312
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 11-21-40 Posts with replies by sicnesse (@ComfyIsLife) _ X.png
20240126_002653.jpg

Please muse Hifi, next time it drops the screen gonna shatter for good. give us that protective case

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #1,295 of 1,312
Sad product/company. Instead of working on phantom upgrade package, should've made sure 2.5mm output on M4 is not wired in reverse.

Feb 5, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #1,296 of 1,312
Recently went hunting for anything new in the LE Audio space and came across these two products:

Nexum Voce
  • Model: MB-A10
  • Bluetooth Version : V5.2
  • Codec : LC3 / AAC / SBC
  • Output Power: 30mW @32Ω
  • Weight : 10g
  • Dimension: 26mm x 47mm x 10mm
  • Coverage Range : 30M (line of sight)
  • Battery & Charing Time: 150mA / 2hrs
  • Play time: TX@7hrs / RX@22hrs

nexum voce 01.jpgnexum voce 02.png

Moor Technology/Moerlab MoerDuo
  • Model: AHA02
  • Bluetooth Version: 5.3
  • Supported Audio Decoding Format: SBC, AAC, LC3
  • Supported Operation Modes: Pairing Mode(BT Classic), Broadcast
  • Output Power: 30mW@32Ω
  • Transmitting Power: ≤10dBm
  • Audio Input(Transmitter): 3.5mm Line In, USB, MIC(Only one audio source can be used at a time)
  • Audio Output(Receiver): 3.5mm Line Out
  • Latency: <60ms
  • Battery Capacity/Charging Time: 150 mAh/2h
  • DC Input: 5V/100mA
  • Operation Time: Up to 11 Hours in TX Mode or 22 Hours in RX Mode(The operation time is based on 50% medium volume level.)
  • Transmission Distance: Up to 30m (Open Space)
  • Weight: 10g
  • Dimensions: 26*47*10mm

moor moerduo 01.jpg

Both devices have very similar specs, though the Voce claims to additionally support the lossless MStream MACH codec via its included USB dongle. Both also support Auracast (streaming audio from one source to multiple receivers). Latency of 60ms is very good. Output power at 30mW@32Ω is on the low side, though. Battery life of 22 hours from 150mAh seems like a stretch, but maybe the greater energy efficiency of BLE compared to Classic Bluetooth, coupled with the lower power output, is enough to get there.

Unfortunately the Voce is out of stock with no indication when or if it will be available again. The MoerDuo is available, but doesn't appear to support the MACH codec. It does support LC3, however, which seems to fare somewhere between AAC and SBC in subjective quality for a given bitrate. Not audiophile-level, but perhaps worth the tradeoff to some for the advantages (low latency, Auracast, battery life).

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #1,298 of 1,312
Just noticed Hiby has released W3 II. QCC 5125 with bt 5.2 and CS43131 DAC.
Has anyone had a chance to play around with it?
@ClieOS any plans on doing a review on that unit?
My past experience with Hiby is that they do make solid BT adapter, but they also spent almost no time on developing firmware or adding new feature. BT adapter seems more like a side project for them and I don't see myself picking one up just for the sake of it. I kinda want something more interesting.

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #1,299 of 1,312
My past experience with Hiby is that they do make solid BT adapter, but they also spent almost no time on developing firmware or adding new feature. BT adapter seems more like a side project for them and I don't see myself picking one up just for the sake of it. I kinda want something more interesting.
Yup fair assessment, if i remember correctly they didnt make any use of the updated chip in W3 Sabre compared to the original W3.
Maybe they implemented something by mistake in this new one :). Like upgrade the EQ finally and LC3 support, which would be possible with the new chip. One can always dream :)

Edit: Power output of 95mw, compared to 32mw of the previous generations is a nice change.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #1,300 of 1,312
TimeEar BTE-8
QCC5125 + Dual CS43131 + 3.5mm SE + 4.4mm BL + LDAC + LHDC

Priced at only $50, kinda a steal if actual performance meets its spec.

Attachments

• O1CN01R2veg91xi3rJr4NRg_!!2939666476.png
    O1CN01R2veg91xi3rJr4NRg_!!2939666476.png
    335.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 25, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #1,302 of 1,312
Stumbled over this CVJ VT-1 whilst browsing aliexpress and hifigo over the weekend.

Seems to be specced out really well with 2 of the latest ESS ES9039Q2M DAC chips, quality amping and bluetooth 5.3 with LDAC etc.

Looks quite smart too with the carbon trim and gold buttons and volume knob.

https://hifigo.com/products/cvj-vvt-1
this looks promising. hope they will offer it by linsoul or shenzenaudio on amazon.de. 7hrs battery life at best for such a large device is a bit underwhelming tho

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #1,303 of 1,312
this looks promising. hope they will offer it by linsoul or shenzenaudio on amazon.de. 7hrs battery life at best for such a large device is a bit underwhelming tho

Yeah some of the specs don't make sense really. I suspect it might be an OEM product.

USB out is apparently 48khz max.

And why 2x DAC chips but doesn't appear to do proper balanced out as 3.5mm and 4.4mm are both listed as same power output.

Still think it has potential though, will look out for some real world usage impressions to clarify how it actually performs.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #1,304 of 1,312
TimeEar BTE-8
QCC5125 + Dual CS43131 + 3.5mm SE + 4.4mm BL + LDAC + LHDC

Priced at only $50, kinda a steal if actual performance meets its spec.

hey, i already read your reviews when i started my headphone journey almost 20 yrs ago, you were kind of an influencer to me in the days of iriver ipod and what not devices :beyersmile: :beerchug:

i am searching for the bt dac/amp with the deepest and tallest soundstage with excellent layering atm.
Already owning these which i put in order of soundstage depth (better to worse): Shanling UP4, BTR15, Topping G5, .... Qudelix 5k. The Shanling and Fiio have almost the same depth but overall soundstage on the Shanling is less "3 blobs" than the Fiio. Sadly the Topping has the overall best soundquality to me but sounds somewhat boxy/closed in.

I read many posts and reviews that claim the go blue would be the best in layering and depth regarding bt-dac/amps.
Would you agree with that or which bt device comes to your mind when a deep, well layered and tall soundstage is the only requirement? Price up to 800 EUR/$ would be ok. it shouldnt be as large and heavy as the Xduoo XD05 pro tho.
Sorry for the wall of text!

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #1,305 of 1,312
hey, i already read your reviews when i started my headphone journey almost 20 yrs ago, you were kind of an influencer to me in the days of iriver ipod and what not devices :beyersmile: :beerchug:

i am searching for the bt dac/amp with the deepest and tallest soundstage with excellent layering atm.
Already owning these which i put in order of soundstage depth (better to worse): Shanling UP4, BTR15, Topping G5, .... Qudelix 5k. The Shanling and Fiio have almost the same depth but overall soundstage on the Shanling is less "3 blobs" than the Fiio. Sadly the Topping has the overall best soundquality to me but sounds somewhat boxy/closed in.

I read many posts and reviews that claim the go blue would be the best in layering and depth regarding bt-dac/amps.
Would you agree with that or which bt device comes to your mind when a deep, well layered and tall soundstage is the only requirement? Price up to 800 EUR/$ would be ok. it shouldnt be as large and heavy as the Xduoo XD05 pro tho.
Sorry for the wall of text!

Go Blu has the classic iFi tuning which has more of an analog quality to its sound and by all means a great BT adapter, but I am not that inclined to recommend iFi these days because they are often more expensive than the competition on where I think they should be and built quality isn't as good as they used to be. I have a feeling that they are pushing more for quantity > quality in recent years.

Can't really help you much on your hunt for a full-sized BT DAC/amp as I am not paying attention to anything bigger than half of my palm these days as I know I am just simply won't carry those around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back