The HEADSIX, a Head-Fi support sales-action
Dec 28, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #496 of 917
Got mine today. Does a nice job driving my triple-fi's. My business trips flying will never be the same.............

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #497 of 917
I found headsix to be very well balanced and musical. For the price - I do not think that there is competition. Sure there are portable amps that sound better - but they are much more expensive - 2 to 4 times expensive. Sure there are headphone amps that sound better sounding that are 2 to 20 times bigger - one doesn't have to go far - just look at other offerings by Jan.

The tone of the amp is warm - I'd imagine that it is rolled off in the treble region but the graphs show a significant drop in the treble region.

This portable amp makes you listen and enjoy wide range of music - MP3 or lossless - on the go. Is it a reference grade? I don't think it was intended for that...

Happy holidays!

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #498 of 917
"Is it a reference grade? I don't think it was intended for that... "

Dr. Meier might disagree, at least to a certain extent. Truly reference grade, as in multi-kilo-buck no limitations? You're right it wasn't intended for that.

As mentioned, it sounds great which is the general consensus of almost everyone who has heard it. I can't comment yet as I just received mine today. It doesn't seem to be bright but that doesn't necessarily relate to a 3-4 dB drop at 20khz (which may or may not be real world).

I'm reserving judgment at this point but what I can say is it came as described in the alloted time (10 days to US) in perfect order. That and it left a smile on my face for the brief period I was able to listen. It sounds different than my Xenos 1HA-EPC but I won't comment otherwise - yet!!! I look forward to more time with it tonight.

Regards,

Rich

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #499 of 917
I bought mine (in Silver) this morning, my first Head-Fi-influenced purchase!

I managed to get an advance from my common-in-law father, and I paid (through PayPal) Dr. Meier the asked amount ($165.00 USD). I know that I am no audiophile (I am getting there thanks to this board), as I intend to use it mainly with my MZ-NH700, and with my 16 ohm MDR-EX90SL IEMs and 40 ohm (active) MDR-NC60 phones, and I know it will drive my Sony SRS-Z750 powered speakers with ease! I wondered if anyone has tested this amp with the equivalent of my vintage 1982 Sennheiser HD420 phones, that equivalent being 300-ohm headphones, as my old Boostaroo Revolution did to some extent, only artificially enhanced (the 3-D Surround imagery), but, I had to set the volume to 20/30 (2/3 the way up) to get a good sound on them, but I do intend to use it on my arsenal of under-100 ohm phones/IEMs. I can't wait to get this new amp and try it out for myself!

Thanks,

Ray Jackson
Head-Fi user ID: BIGHMW

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #500 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by richsto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As mentioned, it sounds great which is the general consensus of almost everyone who has heard it. I can't comment yet as I just received mine today. It doesn't seem to be bright but that doesn't necessarily relate to a 3-4 dB drop at 20khz (which may or may not be real world).

As I said, the RMAA measurements were quick'n'dirty, just for fun. There might be something to it though - because the Headsix takes most of the treble harshness out of the Cowon D2 + q-Jays combination, making it sound really quite a bit better than without the amp in between, according to my ears/taste. I sure love that new sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #503 of 917
A very nice, beautifully build amp!

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #504 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any experiences with Grados? I'm considering a buy, but I want to know if it will have good synergy with the Grado line.

IME, the Grados don't synergise well with portable amps. When I compare Move or HS to RA-1 the wooden box wins hands down.
Meier amps reveal what some people describe as Grado's most serious flaws: shrill highs (especially with SR-325i's) and absence of stage.

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #506 of 917
Does anybody have the U.S. (non-metric, in inches) size specs (w/h/d) on the HeadSix so I will know how to incorporate it into my portable music kit when it comes in from Germany?

From what I can recall on the metric measurements it should fit pretty well into a small pack along with my RM-MC40ELK (or RM-MC39LT), MDR-EX90SL, and 5 mW MZ-NH700 Hi-MD Walkman and 8 Hi-MDs thay I like to tote around in my waistpack (in either my Case Logic MDC-1 MD case or PS-1 Cassette belt pack)

BTW also, has anyone tried this great amp out with 16-32 ohm phones or IEMs, and does it not only amplify but also improve the audio somehow after burn-in? And has anyone tried it out with active powered speakers or monitors? I plan to also use it for a pre-amp for some battery-powered speakers I have owned for years (circa-1002-93 Sony SRS-67 Walkman battery-powered speakers) so I don't have to "crank" up the Walkman unit to max (30/30) with the EQ on just to drive them.

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #509 of 917
ordered mine bout a week ago still waiting. the wait is killing me as this will be my first amp i'm anxious to see how it sounds. daym my impatience!
mad.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #510 of 917
I ordered mine back this past Friday (it was shipped the very next day), and I am anxiously awaiting that eventual slip in my mailbox that says to pick it up at the post office (if it is sent registered), but, I have a hotline to my local post office here in Port Townsend and the guy who runs it (Butch) allows me to pick up any and all parcels that otherwise would have been sent to my mailbox in advance (I work from 9:00am-1:30pm with a 45-minut lunch in which I spend at home, as I live only a couple of miles from work, and am not necessarily home to sign for registered/insured parcels), so I anxiously await for him to confirm that my shipment from Germany is in (hopefully soon!).

I will write a review on it on Head-Fi as well as on the MDCF, the AtracLife Colloquium, and Audio T-Board forums with my early impressions on it and will then update it after burning it in for about 150 hours after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back