The HEADSIX, a Head-Fi support sales-action
Dec 1, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #407 of 917
I run a comparison test between Headsix, ibasso D1, Xin Supermacro III v6 and Penguinamp Caffeine amp with 2G ipod nano, Turbo Dock & Sennheiser MX550.

Yet I still can feel the quality different from each amp.
I still say it's worth every cent.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #410 of 917
You'll find they are all quite good, with slight differences, except the D1 can be significantly improved with a change of opamps.

Larry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run a comparison test between Headsix, ibasso D1, Xin Supermacro III v6 and Penguinamp Caffeine amp with 2G ipod nano, Turbo Dock & Sennheiser MX550.

Yet I still can feel the quality different from each amp.
I still say it's worth every cent.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #411 of 917
Just ordered mine. 10 days and counting till delivery. Can't wait! This will be the longest 10 days of my life.
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #413 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonoliew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol. I just got some crap 12V regulated power supply from the local electronics store... You guys have any recommendations of better ones? Anyone actually modded their headsix yet? ahaha

I have same question in my mind. Coz i just think to buy a multivoltage (1,5~12v) dc regulator adapter to save some money from buy a battery but i just found some crappy thing in my local store. It's make me worry if this crappy adapter fail to work someday, can it make my headsix fried?

And to make it clear, which one is produce a better sound? A Crappy 12v adapter or Energizer 9v battery? Or it just make no difference?

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #414 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by vandread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have same question in my mind. Coz i just think to buy a multivoltage (1,5~12v) dc regulator adapter to save some money from buy a battery but i just found some crappy thing in my local store. It's make me worry if this crappy adapter fail to work someday, can it make my headsix fried?

And to make it clear, which one is produce a better sound? A Crappy 12v adapter or Energizer 9v battery? Or it just make no difference?

It all depends on how crappy your 12V is. Any half decent regulated 12V should sound better than the 9V if your amp can make use of the higher voltage. At least my Move sounds better on the $10 12V regulated than 9V batteries.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #415 of 917
Well... I just returned from Hong Kong with my new Triple-fi 10 Pros (which, to my own surprise, fit my ears perfectly with a great seal. Go figure!). They are wonderfully detailed but very source dependant. They sound kind of flat out of my iPod Video headphone out. From my iRiver H140 headphone out, they sound quite magical - they have a big airy soundstage for an IEM - but I still think that they can sound even better, especially given the quality of H140 line out. So...

I just pulled the trigger on a black HEADSIX. Jan was wonderful to deal with, responded to my email immediately, will ship to China, will set the gain to low. Wonderful service.

It could take a while to get here but a mini-review of the HEADSIX and the Triple-Fi's from both the iRiver and iPod (Turbodock) line outs will be coming in this thread at some point.

Waiting is the hardest part.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #416 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by vandread /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You want to make sure that adapter is regulated. Unregulated PSU outputs can spike beyond the maximum recommended 12V and consequently damage the amp.

Regards.

Edit: Oh, and I believe the 9V battery will still deliver better results than a switch-mode power supply.

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #417 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... I just returned from Hong Kong with my new Triple-fi 10 Pros (which, to my own surprise, fit my ears perfectly with a great seal. Go figure!). They are wonderfully detailed but very source dependant. They sound kind of flat out of my iPod Video headphone out. From my iRiver H140 headphone out, they sound quite magical - they have a big airy soundstage for an IEM - but I still think that they can sound even better, especially given the quality of H140 line out. So...

I just pulled the trigger on a black HEADSIX. Jan was wonderful to deal with, responded to my email immediately, will ship to China, will set the gain to low. Wonderful service.

It could take a while to get here but a mini-review of the HEADSIX and the Triple-Fi's from both the iRiver and iPod (Turbodock) line outs will be coming in this thread at some point.

Waiting is the hardest part.
smily_headphones1.gif

I too find my H140 sounds better than my iPod. I also found a surprising improvement in sound using a $150 ALOaudio line out dock to my amp vs a $20 line out dock (from china via ebay, really).

The Headsix is SO good, that for the past month the Headsix and my Headstage Lyrix are the ONLY two portable amps that I have been using with my ipods, when I'm on the go. (The iBasso D1 portable is bigger and stays at home, and the DAC feeds audio - from macbook, iRiver and CD player - to my Darkvoice 336i).

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #418 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by patgod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered mine. 10 days and counting till delivery. Can't wait! This will be the longest 10 days of my life.
wink.gif

I moved from a Total Airhead to a Corda Move (apparently sounds almost the same as the Headsix) and was rewarded with a tremendous improvement in sound with my Triple-Fi 10s. If you're moving from a Total Bithead I'm sure you'll be delighted with your new amp!

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #419 of 917
Have just emailed Jan hoping he's still got some of these left!! But would appreciate guidance re the Low v. High gain setting. My usage will almost certainly be IEMS only. (Ety6i, Superfi5pros and ShureE5s at the moment - TripleFis or 530's hopefullly soon!)

My concern with a high gain is that the volume control "range" would be much less. ( and I think I've seen a report re L/R channel imbalance when vol knob is only just "on"?!) Would prefer to have my normal listening levels with the vol knob approx "midway". So (provided Jan has some left) am thinking of asking for the gain to be set low for me. Can anyone confirm/advise re this please? ( I believe the gain is switchable via jumpers if absolutely necessary - but a couple of posters earlier seemed to have problems getting screws out etc(!?) so would prefer it to be delivered already set up?! Apart from possibly suddenly getting a liking for full size cans (unlikely!!) are there any other aspects of this low/high gain I should be aware of?? Thanks in advance.

Dec 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #420 of 917
With the unit on high gain from Jan, I listen to my IEM at about 10 o'clock, and with my HD600 at about 1-3 o'clock (although wide open at 5 o'clock is not too loud with HD600).

The L/R imbalance is when the knob is at the bottom 10% of the volume, probably below at least 8-9 o'clock (off is around 7).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back