The HEADSIX, a Head-Fi support sales-action
Jul 15, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #871 of 917
I'm amazed there are still some of these left. The Headsix was my first portable amp and i expected it to be just a 'dip a toe in the water' exercise before I moved on to something better. 18 months on and i hardly visit Head-fi these days, the combination of my 3-gen nano, Shure SE530s and my Headsix are just music-on-the-move heaven. I can't see the point in buying anything else, this is just such a wonderfully synergistic combination, I'd recommend the Headsix to anyone. It's a wonderful little amp - thank you Jan for giving me so much pleasure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Headfellows,

Just a small update.

Right now I still have 170 pieces in black and 20 pieces in silver available. Quite a lot and therefore this sales-action will certainly continue for probably a year or so.

It is a pity that this little amp never really got as popular as it in my opinion deserves. But I've learned over the past few years that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to predict the success of a new model. There are many factors involved and sometimes an amp makes it to Flavour Of The Month and sometimes it simply stays unnoticed.

I guess the success of the HEADSIX was hampered by two factors:
- Shortly after its introduction Head-Fi was down for quite a long time and thus the amp kept relatively unnoticed.
- The strong decrease in value of the Dollar that makes it very expensive to buy from Europa.

However, the amp still sells and after all the remaining will be sold then maybe a new sales-action will be started, even if it will be the HeadTen! :)

Cheers

Jan

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #872 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by Painterspal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm amazed there are still some of these left. The Headsix was my first portable amp and i expected it to be just a 'dip a toe in the water' exercise before I moved on to something better.

Well, I've tried a lot of amps in the meantime, but none was better than the Headsix (except for the sub-par crackling volume pot). The Headsix still is the best amp I've tried, better than the Minibox-E+, iBasso T4, and so on.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #876 of 917
The Heasix doesn't hiss or pop - actually it's the quietest amp I have, much much better than the MBE+, iBasso T4, PA2V2, or FiiO. But the volume pot is unfortunately cheap junk that crackles when turned. Mine however is well behaved when you don't touch the volume. On very quiet volume levels the channels are very imbalanced, but on normal listening levels it's alright. The volume pot is the only weak point of the amp, in my opinion.

It does have a gain/voltage selector - on the inside. However, low voltage mode rolls off the treble and doesn't sound as good as high voltage.

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #879 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well yeah, I'm waiting for the Pico Slim as well... seems like the holy grail of non-obnoxious, does-what-it's-supposed-to-do, amps... digital volume for the win.

BTW, you do realize that if you use Rockbox on a DAP such as an iPod or a Sansa will give you a balance control right? You don't necessarily need to spend whatever $$$ on an amp to gain that functionality. You probably already knew that though and plan to use the Slim with something non Rockboxable, such as your S9, but I thought I'd mention it anyways. I'm hoping the Slim will be what I would call a reasonable price because I really want one myself
smile.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #881 of 917
seems we're hijacking this thread a bit... and my iphone 3g and ipod classic can't be rock-boxed. plus i hate fiddling with EQ settings cos i can never get what i want... and can't imagine changing the eq for every song.. i like it neutral, uncoloured. so whichever amp that could improve on that with bass and soundstaging i'll get... the headsix amp from what i've heard is amazing.. but the volume knob is such a huge let down..

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #882 of 917
Heh, sorry about the slight thread derailment.
tongue.gif

My portable rig consists of a Rockbox'd iPod 5g 80gb and a pair of Shure E4c, no amp atm, and it sounds pretty good, but I'm sure an external amp would be much better so I've been looking for one for a while. The E4c's weak point is bass so any amp that will improve the bass over the stock HP out of the iPod would be great IMO, but I hate to add a lot of bulk to things. The only portable amps I've owned are the FiiO E3 and E5, and they're about as small as it gets. That's why I want to wait for the Pico Slim and/or the RSA Shadow
smile.gif
I was thinking about a HEADSIX for a while too but I would hate to lug around something even thicker than my iPod WITH my iPod.
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #885 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shlonglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this drive the Denon 2000s well?

How does it compare to the Corda 2MOVE? Or Arietta (yes, I know it's not portable)?

I'm getting great synergy with my Denon d5000s. The Headsix really seems to do nice things on Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back