The headphones for movies thread
Jan 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #31 of 113
  My absolute favourite movie headphones are the Sony MDR-F1. It's pretty much as open back as you can go though... but that openness really gives a great sense of space, which is great for movies I find.

Those Sonys look pretty nifty. I saw a comment that they lack bass, so it'd be a trade-off with soundstage. Too bad they're discontinued, as they are an interesting product.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #32 of 113
  Those Sonys look pretty nifty. I saw a comment that they lack bass, so it'd be a trade-off with soundstage. Too bad they're discontinued, as they are an interesting product.

I would say that they have nice articulate bass, but it doesn't really slam like some other headphones. Some may find it lacking, but not to me. I also heard of people using the F1 in conjunction with a subwoofer - the open design makes it work apparently...

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #33 of 113
Combining headphones with a subwoofer is quite a notion. In my case it would ruin headphones as a solution to the problem of watching movies while the household sleeps. If everyone's awake, then I've got a 5.1 speaker setup ready to go.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #34 of 113

DanBa, that VR setup sounds amazing. I have a Note 4, so I'm going to look into the headset. Certainly worth exploring!

Some information about Oculus Cinema:
http://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-gear-vr-preview-oculus-cinema-watching-a-2-hour-movie/
http://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/search?q=oculus+cinema
http://forum.xda-developers.com/search.php?searchid=333836540

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #35 of 113
<Snip>
I'm new here, so it's probably highly presumptuous to put "the" and "thread" in this title, but I'd love to see this become the go-to for those of us more concerned with movie audio than music.

So, which headphones do you think perform best for movies?

If you want the best there is for movies or music.
Realizer A8 with coping a sound studio like AIX for 5 CH and 7 CH sound system..
Most any Blu Ray player that has HDMI out and PCM.
W4S DAC, balanced out to AMP.
STAX SRM 727 AMP.
STAX SR 009 Headphones.

This very high end setup will probably best most speaker sound systems. 
And yes the explosion base will send shivers down your spine. 

ss

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #36 of 113
If you want the best there is for movies or music.
Realizer A8 with coping a sound studio like AIX for 5 CH and 7 CH sound system..
Most any Blu Ray player that has HDMI out and PCM.
W4S DAC, balanced out to AMP.
STAX SRM 727 AMP.
STAX SR 009 Headphones.

This very high end setup will probably best most speaker sound systems. 
And yes the explosion base will send shivers down your spine. 

ss

I definitely understood some of those words. What is "coping a sound studio"?

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #37 of 113
I definitely understood some of those words. What is "coping a sound studio"?

The A8 Realizer has the ability via its little mic's you place in each one of your ears to copy the sound-system. Then the A8 is connected to the sound system and puts out tones from each of the speakers it is coping including the sub base. The mini mics in your ears picks up on where the sound and tone is coming from and also the rooms acoustic's, therefore coping the sound, position and acoustic's of the speaker and room.

Once all speakers have been copied, the A8 translates that info into a exact copy of the speaker placement and room acoustic's. Then puts all that info into one of its memory's. When you want to have the same sound and placement of the rooms speakers and sound system to make your headphones and the audio playback sound just like you were back in the room you copied.  

So the better the sound-system and room acoustics's you are coping the better sound you will hear from your headphones.
In my case I used AIX's very high end sound studio for both there 5.1 and 7.1 speaker systems, that I enjoy each time I use my headphone system.

ss

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #38 of 113
I got the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium (250 ohms) on Friday and watched a couple of movies on the weekend (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Unbroken). I was bracing myself for piercing treble, based on so many head-fi comments, but while I found it bright and detailed it was overall very enjoyable. The bass is definitely deeper and more powerful than the Sennheiser HD600, and the soundstage feels a lot more open. After about 10 minutes of Captain America, I'd decided to keep the DT990s and sell my HD600s.

Now I'm considering the Philips Fidelio X2. Once there's a decent sale price, I'll pick up a pair and compare them with the DT990. For now, the DT990 is a great movie headphone. Re: overly bright treble, I did notice it on a few music tracks I tried, but for movies I didn't notice any issue.

Are there any other headphones (under $500) that can compete with the DT990 on bass and soundstage? 

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #39 of 113
  I got the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium (250 ohms) on Friday and watched a couple of movies on the weekend (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Unbroken). I was bracing myself for piercing treble, based on so many head-fi comments, but while I found it bright and detailed it was overall very enjoyable. The bass is definitely deeper and more powerful than the Sennheiser HD600, and the soundstage feels a lot more open. After about 10 minutes of Captain America, I'd decided to keep the DT990s and sell my HD600s.

Now I'm considering the Philips Fidelio X2. Once there's a decent sale price, I'll pick up a pair and compare them with the DT990. For now, the DT990 is a great movie headphone. Re: overly bright treble, I did notice it on a few music tracks I tried, but for movies I didn't notice any issue.

Are there any other headphones (under $500) that can compete with the DT990 on bass and soundstage? 

either my ears became familiar with the treble or the headphone have break in.. because now i dont find them as bright as they were when i first listened to mine ! ive been using them for 2 weeks now ... and i can hear a difference !  but yea like i said , maybe i just get used to it.. dunno

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #40 of 113
Qantas adds virtual reality option for in-flight entertainment
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6210#post_11271659

“From an in-flight entertainment perspective, it’s an industry first. Qantas is committed to being at the forefront of innovation to give our passengers the very best and latest in-flight experiences, like accessing the virtual worlds of their favorite Hollywood blockbusters from the comfort of their seat 40,000 feet above the ground."

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #41 of 113

either my ears became familiar with the treble or the headphone have break in.. because now i dont find them as bright as they were when i first listened to mine ! ive been using them for 2 weeks now ... and i can hear a difference !  but yea like i said , maybe i just get used to it.. dunno

True, I think a lot has to do with our ears adjusting to the sound from any headphones. I started my high end audio journey with a HD800 and a DT990/600, both of which are known to be bright, though I don't find that to be true. As stated in another thread, either my hearing isn't as sensitive as when I was younger, or the tubey sound from my iFi Micro iDSD tamed the highs somewhat. Regardless, I usually use my DT990/600 for movies (either using my Micro iDSD combo or Fostex/lyr stack, or plugged directly into my Marantz SR7001 receiver (having multi-channel support isn't as critical as simply good stereo sound, to me anyway).

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #42 of 113
  Qantas adds virtual reality option for in-flight entertainment
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6210#post_11271659

“From an in-flight entertainment perspective, it’s an industry first. Qantas is committed to being at the forefront of innovation to give our passengers the very best and latest in-flight experiences, like accessing the virtual worlds of their favorite Hollywood blockbusters from the comfort of their seat 40,000 feet above the ground."

Don't you get a headache since your eyes have to be focussed on a tiny display at a very close distance? 

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #43 of 113
Some impressions after "going to" the Oculus Cinema, a "giant screen movie theater":

"On this day, I was doing something rather peculiar – I was watching a movie on my Galaxy Note 4, and it was sitting literally inches from my face.

So, how did it feel to watch a full 2 hour movie? Not as bad as I thought it would, to be honest. I was expecting my neck to be way more stressed after two hours of having a plastic/foam headset along with one of the more intimidating smartphones on my head. Instead, I felt comfortable enough to be totally focused on the content I was viewing, and actually had to remind myself that this was a ‘test’ of the system, not just for my viewing pleasure.

The most draw dropping moment was when the movie started and I really did feel that the screen was meters away, and many more meters in actual size. My eyes were genuinely tricked into believing the images on the virtual screen were on a real screen, and I think it was partly due to the perfect audio sync. This enclosed fusion of audio and visual delivery kept the illusion at a high level for a long while.

Once the movie had finished, I did not have the eye soreness or fuzzy focus that I thought I would."
http://www.tuicool.com/articles/Jfm2Unr

"Oculus Cinema: A virtual movie theater where movie trailers and even self-loaded videos can be seen. What's amazing here is the theater itself: you can pick a giant cinema, a screening room, or even the surface of the Moon. The expansive theater, and its seats illuminated by the movie screen, feels so real that it seems like it could be a movie theater replacement in the near future...if the actual video resolution seen in that virtual theater ever ends up approaching the "retina quality" of existing phones, tablets and TVs."
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/samsung-gear-vr/2/

"It was better than sitting in a real theater, and immediately made me wonder why I'd ever go to a theater again if I could get my movies this way.
When Carmack told me he watched the entire Matrix Trilogy and a full season of Max Headroom in there, I got a bit jealous. It feels like a true killer app for virtual reality."
http://gizmodo.com/inside-the-galaxy-note-4s-virtual-reality-ambitions-1646853596

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #45 of 113
Cmoar headset with USB out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6330#post_11354193
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/706938033/cmoar-virtual-reality-headset-with-integrated-elec

movie file > movie player running on a smartphone slotted into a Cmoar headset > PCM audio stream > Cmoar headset's USB out >> USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back