The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Jun 5, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #436 of 2,227
Amfiton TDS-15 
Really nice strong magnets, stronger than any other vintage I've messed around with.
Still not as strong as T20RPMKii driver magnets, but getting there. 
Really beautiful simplicity in this design.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #437 of 2,227
  Amfiton TDS-15 
Really nice strong magnets, stronger than any other vintage I've messed around with.
Still not as strong as T20RPMKii driver magnets, but getting there. 
Really beautiful simplicity in this design.

Hm, that trace pattern and density is pretty lackluster. I'm guessing these sound possibly a bit loose and flabby (maybe rolled or distorted)? Pretty nonetheless. I like how much of the diaphragm is trace-free though. Probably very smooth sounding.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #438 of 2,227
Hm, that trace pattern and density is pretty lackluster. I'm guessing these sound possibly a bit loose and flabby (maybe rolled or distorted)? Pretty nonetheless. I like how much of the diaphragm is trace-free though. Probably very smooth sounding.

Precisely.
Not the highest resolution, but good even FR and well textured across the entire FR with decent decay.
I think the mod potential of the driver is VERY high, but impossibly difficult in it's current housing.
Still fun though.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #439 of 2,227
Panasonic RP-HX650-K biocellulose driver rear.
In case there was any doubt, this pretty much confirms that it's exactly the same driver as in the Creative Auvana Live. 
The main difference is the 'foster' printed text is missing... something I doubt Panasonic are particularly bothered about.

I've never heard a CAL so I can't compare how this housing sounds to the other...

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #440 of 2,227
Panasonic RP-HX650-K biocellulose driver rear.
In case there was any doubt, this pretty much confirms that it's exactly the same driver as in the Creative Auvana Live. 
The main difference is the 'foster' printed text is missing... something I doubt Panasonic are particularly bothered about.

I've never heard a CAL so I can't compare how this housing sounds to the other...
Lettering on the magnet is different... these could actually be different capsules from the same series.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #441 of 2,227
Lettering on the magnet is different... these could actually be different capsules from the same series.

The 6 digit code is different on every set -  this must be the serial number.
The 4 number/letter code is also different (just google a bunch of CAL driver pics - I found that each set I found had a different code) this must be the batch code or similar.

If you totally ignore the lettering, the drivers are visually indistinguishable, they even use identical front grill mesh.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #442 of 2,227
The 4 number/letter code is also different (just google a bunch of CAL driver pics - I found that each set I found had a different code) this must be the batch code or similar.

If you totally ignore the lettering, the drivers are visually indistinguishable, they even use identical front grill mesh.

Very interesting. All I know for sure is that I really like the Panasonic RP-HX650-K's :)

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #443 of 2,227

turns out I derped, my drivers are labeled "TH05" and I thought this was a model number of one of Fostex's headphones

I was thinking of the TH-5B (which has 30mm mylar drivers so not even close)

I may be more tired than I initially thought...

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #444 of 2,227
  Very interesting. All I know for sure is that I really like the Panasonic RP-HX650-K's :)

You're not alone.
I can't understand how they can sell these for $20 and they're not more popular. 
Sure, they're $80 in Germany, but yeah....  it competes EASILY with the big boys of closed-back portable-land.

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #445 of 2,227
  You're not alone.
I can't understand how they can sell these for $20 and they're not more popular. 
Sure, they're $80 in Germany, but yeah....  it competes EASILY with the big boys of closed-back portable-land.

Indeed! I also LOVE how the mystery drivers in your avatar sound!
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #446 of 2,227
OK boys and girls, let me tell you a story...

One fine day, greq realized he was in possession of an unusually large 
and pointless array of what surely seemed the worst that headphonedom 
has ever spawned from the depths of it's gloomy bowels. 

He thought to himself "surely, I'm not a hoarder.... am I?"

So he set about to rectify this embarrassment, for fear of bringing
shame to his ancestors and fellow headphone-loving cohorts.

Within hours, nay minutes, the pile lay vanquished in a heap of twisted plastic viscera
only the hearts of the dead kept for trophies.

Of all the fallen, three caught his attention.
30, 40 and 50mm they were in diameter, respectively.

Most notably the 40mm hails from a Roccat Kulo.
A most unworthy headpiece, but perhaps greatness yet awaits...

And that was the cautionary tale of greq, The Undecided. 

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #448 of 2,227
Ickle babby 10mm driver from 1€ Chinese POS IEM (exceptionally bad Xiamo Piston copy) from the flea market I got this morning... I only really needed the cable for my Koss Portapro.
It goes without saying, but these are among the worst things I've ever heard. 

40mm driver for scale 

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #449 of 2,227
I don't think I've seen this one posted up before: HD430
Finally got a decent pair of these. I think I prefer these to the HD540. 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back