ATH M9 (1987)
Hmmmmmm, interesting.
Looks about the same as the M9X.
I wonder what the differences are.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #2,194 of 2,210
Hmmmmmm, interesting.
Looks about the same as the M9X.
I wonder what the differences are.

I think difference is just changing magnets.

Audio-technica changed magnets to neodymium. Dynamic range was extended.

I read some reviews for m9 and m9x, they have similar sound signature.

I think they have similar relationships to sony mdr cd900/cd900st

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #2,197 of 2,210

Expose of Ibasso SR1 driver

That looks very nice with the biocelly and silicon suspension.

@GREQ

do you know if the original mdr-r10 biocelly driver had a suspension system similar to the above and the Foster drivers or like this (below)

1713729734372.png

the standard stamped membrane without individual suspension system.

I have never seen a photo without that metal grill on top of them.

1713729959731.jpeg

From this pic, it looks like it doesn't have it (seperate rubber suspension)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #2,198 of 2,210
do you know if the original mdr-r10 biocelly driver had a suspension system similar to the above and the Foster drivers or like this (below)
It did not.
The concept of a silicone/rubber suspension is a relatively new 'innovation' for headphones.

AFAIK Sony has only ever made 2 'headphones' with drivers that have suspension surrounds.
• VIP-1000
• PFR-V1

Although, realistically they both use something more like 'normal' miniaturized loudspeaker drivers, and I don't think they should be compared directly with the more modern proper headphone drivers.

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #2,199 of 2,210
It did not.
The concept of a silicone/rubber suspension is a relatively new 'innovation' for headphones.

AFAIK Sony has only ever made 2 'headphones' with drivers that have suspension surrounds.
• VIP-1000
• PFR-V1

Although, realistically they both use something more like 'normal' miniaturized loudspeaker drivers, and I don't think they should be compared directly with the more modern proper headphone drivers.

Oh forgot to compliment your youtube reviews!

Really had a good few laughs watching some of them.

Couldn't help but wonder if you'll ever review that DX1000 :p , I bet you don't want to open that up again. Though IIRC you had some pics of them earlier in this thread.

Also was cool you did the review on the Beyer Sound JEWEL. The resonance issue can be remedied by those yellow discs to some degree that you see in those vintage Japanese headphones. I believe it's micron glass (according to Sony). But you were dead on about those edt100 pads! I'm using 1540 alcantara on mine.

Also, was shocked by the MINT hd450 II drivers and overall design. Had no idea it was so sophisticated.

Keep it up

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #2,201 of 2,210
Oh forgot to compliment your youtube reviews!

Really had a good few laughs watching some of them.

Couldn't help but wonder if you'll ever review that DX1000 :p , I bet you don't want to open that up again. Though IIRC you had some pics of them earlier in this thread.

Also was cool you did the review on the Beyer Sound JEWEL. The resonance issue can be remedied by those yellow discs to some degree that you see in those vintage Japanese headphones. I believe it's micron glass (according to Sony). But you were dead on about those edt100 pads! I'm using 1540 alcantara on mine.

Also, was shocked by the MINT hd450 II drivers and overall design. Had no idea it was so sophisticated.

Keep it up
Cheers :wink:
Don't forget to like and subscribe :p

I actually don't mind opening up the DX1000 again, it's relatively simple and stress-free compared to some others.
I do plan on reviewing EVERYTHING I own ... eventually... so it could be in the next month or so, or in a year :sweat_smile:

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #2,202 of 2,210
IMG_6491.jpegIMG_6493.jpegIMG_6494.jpeg

Maybe first driver pic ever!

ATH M9 (1987)
Looks very similar to my M9X! I have pics of it somewhere in this thread. I think the diaphragm in my one has a slightly greyish tint which would probably be that ceramic coating.

I wonder how the two compare to each other, I remember being very disappointed with the lack of a soundstage. I might mod one in the future as I got two of them~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back