The hate on beats, why?
May 25, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #827 of 1,217
I personally couldn't care less if someone walked around with a fake pair of Beats so long as they didn't brag about owning a pair.  I just feel the fake ones have a more justified price (...lulz) for what I'm getting, especially if they sound exactly (or as close to exactly) as the authentic version.  With the fakes at least I'm getting my money's worth instead of going to the store and paying $400 for Beats Pro that sound exactly like the $120 DJ1 I've been using for three years, and only because I'm paying for the Beats name.  Now at $175 I'm more inclined to buy because I'd use them for DJ'ing and they seem more durable then my DJ1 and also have a detachable cable........................... :'( I REALLY want a pair of headphones with a detachable cable.

I know one thing, the Beats Mixrs (seriously I really like those headphones) sound A LOT better than those $140 over-ear Bose headphones.  You call that bass?!  Pfft.

May 25, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #828 of 1,217
I personally couldn't care less if someone walked around with a fake pair of Beats so long as they didn't brag about owning a pair.  I just feel the fake ones have a more justified price (...lulz) for what I'm getting, especially if they sound exactly (or as close to exactly) as the authentic version.  With the fakes at least I'm getting my money's worth instead of going to the store and paying $400 for Beats Pro that sound exactly like the $120 DJ1 I've been using for three years, and only because I'm paying for the Beats name.  Now at $175 I'm more inclined to buy because I'd use them for DJ'ing and they seem more durable then my DJ1 and also have a detachable cable........................... :'( I REALLY want a pair of headphones with a detachable cable.

I know one thing, the Beats Mixrs (seriously I really like those headphones) sound A LOT better than those $140 over-ear Bose headphones.  You call that bass?!  Pfft.

I only own one pair of Bose and that's the Quietcomfort15's - they have the best active noise cancellation function on any headphones in the world - literally mind blowing.

Commuters have been known to use them just for the n/c function alone - no music (the n/c works with no audio cable attached and activated by slide button on ear cup)

If you haven't heard them just for the n/c - try a pair out in your local Apple store who usually have a demo set to try on display.

Sound signature is also very good, and whether using the n/c by itself or with music playback- it's like putting the outside world into mute mode.

DSCF61812.jpg

Downside to these cans is they feel like they are going to snap (headband) at any second - very fragile build, and the proprietary 3.5mm jack means if it breaks you have to buy a Bose replacement only which will be massively more expensive than a standard straight 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack. The cable itself is also very thin and tangles incredibly badly.

DSCF61832.jpg

DSCF61752.jpg

DSCF61722.jpg

DSCF61702.jpg

DSCF61782.jpg

May 25, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #829 of 1,217
I like the design of the Futura's for sure - pretty funky
cool.gif

Judging from those pictures, you don't own the Futura Solos?

I only own one pair of Bose and that's the Quietcomfort15's - they have the best active noise cancellation function on any headphones in the world - literally mind blowing.

Commuters have been known to use them just for the n/c function alone - no music (the n/c works with no audio cable attached and activated by slide button on ear cup)

If you haven't heard them just for the n/c - try a pair out in your local Apple store who usually have a demo set to try on display.

Sound signature is also very good, and whether using the n/c by itself or with music playback- it's like putting the outside world into mute mode.

DSCF61812.jpg

Downside to these cans is they feel like they are going to snap (headband) at any second - very fragile build, and the proprietary 3.5mm jack tmeans if it breaks you have to buy a Bose replacement only which will be massively more expensive than a standard straight 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack. The cable itself is also very thin and tangles incredibly badly.

DSCF61832.jpg

DSCF61752.jpg

DSCF61722.jpg

DSCF61702.jpg

DSCF61782.jpg

​

I bought the blue Special Edition QC15 once, then returned them the next day. I wasn't used to such strong active noise canceling effect, and it felt like I had just been on a plane that landed (you know, that blocked ear feeling) after using them for a while.

Such wow

If anything, wouldn't the QC15s feel more durable than the Beats Solos or Studio 1.0? At least the flexible part of the Bose's headband doesn't have two very weak points in it.

May 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #830 of 1,217
Judging from those pictures, you don't own the Futura Solos?

I bought the blue Special Edition QC15 once, then returned them the next day. I wasn't used to such strong active noise canceling effect, and it felt like I had just been on a plane that landed (you know, that blocked ear feeling) after using them for a while.

Such wow

If anything, wouldn't the QC15s feel more durable than the Beats Solos or Studio 1.0? At least the flexible part of the Bose's headband doesn't have two very weak points in it.

To me the fragile headband on the quietcomfort 15's is way disproportionate to the ear cups, and considering they cost roughly double what the solo HD's cost, should be more robust.

A lot of stores stopped having display demo models out for people to try as the headband would invariably break.

I'm aware of the fragile headband already so I keep them stored in hard case when not in use etc but look after them as I do all my cans.

May 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #831 of 1,217
To me the fragile headband on the quietcomfort 15's is way disproportionate to the ear cups, and considering they cost roughly double what the solo HD's cost, should be more robust.

A lot of stores stopped having display demo models out for people to try as the headband would invariably break.

I'm aware of the fragile headband already so I keep them stored in hard case when not in use etc but look after them as I do all my cans.
I'm sure there probably is a noise cancellation headphone out there that costs 1000$, but is better... I just doubt its the best. It certainly is probably the best for the price, but on the market? Meh.

May 25, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #833 of 1,217
I'm 99% sure Bose has the best NC system out there actually...

May 25, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #834 of 1,217
You just figured that out thatBeatsguy? :D yeah. Some people have massive amounts of disposable income... I'm going to work full time this summer and hopefully get around 2,000-2,500$ to buy an Objective2, an AKG K812, and a JVC SZ2000... That way, I'll be at the Summit of Mt. BASS, and be at summit-fi of audiophilia.

May 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #835 of 1,217
I'm 99% sure Bose has the best NC system out there actually...
I don't know... I'm pretty sure there probably is some more effective ANC systems in NC headphones that are 1k$+... Of course, I'm only 51% sure of it tho.

May 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #836 of 1,217
Just go for akg k712. That's honestly good enough. Then get a pair of good iems for school & outdoors. Maybe a nice dac/dap for car audio, and etc. Remember priorities.

Get a car (gas & insurance), then college, then apartment, and sometime you'll have to pay your own cell phone bill, and those hd800s aren't going to sound very good if you're living in a box next to the freeway.

May 25, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #837 of 1,217
Parrot Zik, listed at $399 (now $ 329 on Amazon) is stated as having noise cancellation "nearly as good as Bose QC 15," resides on Tyll's Hall Of Fame for acceptable sound and really neat features. I love mine, though they are a bit heavy and so have fallen off during vigorous activity.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/elegant-and-complex-parrot-zik-bluetooth-noise-canceling-headset

May 25, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #838 of 1,217
Just go for akg k712. That's honestly good enough. Then get a pair of good iems for school & outdoors. Maybe a nice dac/dap for car audio, and etc. Remember priorities.

Get a car (gas & insurance), then college, then apartment, and sometime you'll have to pay your own cell phone bill, and those hd800s aren't going to sound very good if you're living in a box next to the freeway.
nah. I'll go summit-fi, and I REALLY HATE IEM'S. If I bought a k712, I'd use it as a portable can. All I know is that the 812 is only going with me to places like grandmas, etc. That would not go to school, even though I can drive it on the go. And, I'm joining the military, and getting an education through that... And, my parents are giving me a car for free, and t-mobile is 30$ a month for unlimited talk, text, and data. I'm still 15. I have time... And I already have 4k$ in a savings account so far.

May 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #839 of 1,217

This. I've realized that in college, I don't use my gear nearly as much as I did in high school. If I could do it all over again, I'd have not upgraded from my K271 and Monster Turbine Pros, gotten a Miata to fix up, and not be so obsessed with getting a 5% improvement in sound and shuffling through gear like crazy.

May 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #840 of 1,217
Parrot Zik, listed at $399 (now $ 329 on Amazon) is stated as having noise cancellation "nearly as good as Bose QC 15," resides on Tyll's Hall Of Fame for acceptable sound and really neat features. I love mine, though they are a bit heavy and so have fallen off during vigorous activity.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/elegant-and-complex-parrot-zik-bluetooth-noise-canceling-headset

The Parrot Zik is one can that I've yet to hear for myself, though reviews are very positive and I think the design is fantastic.

I read they auto turn on/off when you put them on/off due to sensors on earcups - pretty swish - I don't know of any other can with that feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back