The Grado RS-2 Thread
Nov 3, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #62 of 79
I've compared the two and like the RS2e better... So much so that I bought a new RS2e even though I already have the RS2i. Here is a link to my description of what I heard.Here

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #63 of 79
I've compared the two and like the RS2e better... So much so that I bought a new RS2e even though I already have the RS2i. Here is a link to my description of what I heard.Here

wow! thanks. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #64 of 79
I have a really simple mod to tame a little bit of the high/ treble from the Grado. Very simple with really no adverse affects.

I got some Doggie Treats from MrSpeakers. I just inserted them under the cups. took 1 minutes. Cost was under $20. I might end up trimming them just a tad with scissors. Mind you, not audiophile grade scissors, just regular old office scissors! 

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #65 of 79
I am considering the RS-2e.  Currently, my go to headphones are the Fostex TH-X00 and TH-500RP.  I am curious to try some Grados, and am wondering if the RS-2e is a good choice.  I have recently sold some gear so the price is not really an issue.  From what I have read, the RS-2e seems like the best bang for the buck in the Grado line.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #66 of 79
 I am considering the RS-2e.  Currently, my go to headphones are the Fostex TH-X00 and TH-500RP.  I am curious to try some Grados, and am wondering if the RS-2e is a good choice.  I have recently sold some gear so the price is not really an issue.  From what I have read, the RS-2e seems like the best bang for the buck in the Grado line.

My two cans at work are the grado RS2e for open and the Fostex TH600 for closed. The grado will not have the bass slam as the TH-X00, although the X00 is a bit of a lightweight compared to the TH600 IMHO, so the difference will not be as large as it is for me. Also, you may find the Grado hot in the treble. You can tame that treble really easily with MrSpeaker's Doggie Treats (under $20) for an incredibly easy mod.

Finally, the grado will not be comfortable until you adjust there clamp force to your liking and learn to wear the pads more forward and higher than you probably think you should. Once adjusted and worn properly, the grado can be very comfortable. 

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #67 of 79

My two cans at work are the grade RS2e for open and the Fostex TH600 for closed. The grado will not have the bass slam as the TH-X00, although the X00 is a bit of a lightweight compared to the TH600 IMHO, so the difference will not be as large as it is for me. Also, you may find the Grado hot in the treble. You can tame that treble really easily with MrSpeaker's Doggie Treats (under $20) for an incredibly easy mod.

Finally, the grado will not be comfortable until you adjust there clamp force to your liking and learn to wear the pads more forward and higher than you probably think you should. Once adjusted and worn properly, the grado can be very comfortable. 

Thanks.  I am not trying to replicate the sound of my TH-X00.  In fact, part of the reason I am considering the Grado's is because from what I have read they are not like the Fostex.  I see Newegg currently has the RS2e for $450...seems like a good price.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #68 of 79
I've had my RS-2e for a good month now ,  and all i can say is wow .   I am using them with S-Cush (comfies) rather than the L-cush (Bowls) .   
I've just had a solid year of listening to my SR-325e , and the RS-2e is very different indeed .      This is my first woodie and i find the sound very natural & dry.
The RS-2e is very treble happy but definitely not bright ,  but this might be due to the frequency response .    Either way i decided to borrow the comfies from my SR-80e and slip them onto my RS-2e and bingo ,  i love it.
I have also ordered some flats from ttjv so i await with anticipation to see how they play .    Happy Days

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #69 of 79
Jan 9, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #70 of 79
Jan 9, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #71 of 79
Jun 20, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #72 of 79
Tally up yet another RS2 lover here. While I'm fortunate to have a handful of cans in my collection, it is the RS2e that receives the most head-time. The Grado is simply a gratifying headphone. It is unfortunate the brand is so polarized within the audiophile community--much of which I suspect is the result of the perpetuation of misinformation. Nonetheless, I'll sit back and enjoy this guilty pleasure with, perhaps, the slightest hint of a snarky grin upon my face.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #73 of 79
This is a truly underappreciated and overlooked headphone in the Grado lineup. I've had the buttonless RS2 for about 5 years and have always enjoyed the smoother version of the Grado sound over the first pair of Grados I experienced, the SR-80. I just acquired the RS2e and direct A/B comparison reveals some interesting differences between the older and newer iteration. Source is FLAC audio files to a Grace M9XX. The RS2e is definitely brighter with a touch more bass than my older pair and I'm not sure if my ears consider that an improvement. I'm going to keep rotating them but at this point I may actually prefer the softer sound of the RS2 over the RS2e. Balanced is the best word I can use to describe the RS2 versus the increased sharpness in highs my ears are detecting from the RS2e. I figured I'd share my experiences since I've seen a few posts asking about differences between the earlier versions of the Grado RS2 and newer versions like the -i and -e. The only mod I've made to the RS2 is going with the much more comfortable Earzonk giant bowls. I also prefer the longer/thinner cable on the earlier RS2 and don't need to use an extension cable like the RS2e for my preferred seating position.

20171110_081703.jpg

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #74 of 79
Nov 10, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #75 of 79
Great write-up on the differences between the various RS2 versions. Upon further listening today I really need to plug the RS2e into the Little Dot Mk3 to get a sound my ears enjoy whereas the RS2 sounds great via the Grace M9XX amp or the LD Mk3. Listening to the RS2e through the tube amp is sublime with plenty of detail and soundstage. I'm noticing the little bit of extra detail the RS2e brings out versus the RS2...now if only that cable wasn't so short on the RS2e...ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back